It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To Build A Rocket?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
How do they actually build Rockets?, what type of materials etc
Just something I've never read about

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pixiekaram

Generally with a propellant and an engine, I'm not saying much more in case you blow your fingers off

But the following link might be an interesting read:

Rocket

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Mainly light but strong metals like aluminium.

I know that the earlier rockets relied upon the fuel in the fuel tanks to add strength to the rocket.
I.E. and empty rocket could not support the weight of the satellite / or rocket stage above.

I have seen videos of the British Blue streak missile when empty on its side and one person can easily push the rocket side in and out with their hands.

Shows how thin the material is for weight purposes.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
You sir remind me of Jamal..

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A rocket: a container of some substance (even air or water) that is pressurized such that when released from an orfice it has enough thrust to move the entire body in the opposite direction. A balloon is a great example.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Technical drawings here:

www.apollosaturn.com...

Wiki page:

en.wikipedia.org...

To this day ,the Saturn V rocket is one of the most complicated looking devices. In a recent tv show, a fellow named James May (Co presenter of Top Gear, and all round engineering nerd) interviewed pilots and crew from the Moon missions. Within that show, James May stood next to a rocket, and they sure were pretty complicated. Just the plumbing on one of those rockets would leave an army of heating and water engineers shaking with fear.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pixiekaram

You can make rockets out of sugar and some commonly available garden/farm supplies. I'll not go into it - but it is commonly known as a "sugar rocket."

The design of the engine is a little more involved and dictated mostly by the purpose you plan to fill. Solid fuel rockets are common among hobbyists. The load you want to lift and to what altitude you want it to go are going to be some fairly important factors in determining how you go about designing your engine and what fuel you use.

Some more interesting research was recently done on using micronized aluminum suspended in ice. As a rocket fuel - it performed very remarkably, and was researched as part of a practical space propulsion concept (since water is not all that uncommon, nor is aluminum, out in space).

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Go to a hobby store and buy a model rocket, build it and shoot it off and you'll have the basic premise of how they work. Have alot of fun in the process also.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It depends on how big of a rocket you want to build and for what purpose.

The simplest type is, of course, a model rocket which is primarily thick cardboard tubes and plastic using a small electrically ignited booster for propulsion.

If you want to go higher, sugar rockets are becoming pretty popular. It uses primarily KNO3 and powdered sugar as a propellant. The rocket body is usually anything from fiberglass composite to aluminum or galvanized steel pipe.

SpaceX uses an aluminum alloy rocket body and refined kerosene fuel and liquid oxygen as fuel.

Then you have the massive rockets which are usually made of aluminum or titanium and use solid fuel composites that I don't know much about.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Usualy they are built from aluminium-lithium alloy

The interstage, which connects the upper and lower stage for Falcon 9, is a carbon fiber aluminum core composite structure. Stage separation occurs via reusable separation collets and a pneumatic pusher system. The Falcon 9 tank walls and domes are made from aluminum lithium alloy. SpaceX uses an all-friction stir welded tank, the highest strength and most reliable welding technique available. The second stage tank of Falcon 9 is simply a shorter version of the first stage tank and uses most of the same tooling, material and manufacturing techniques. This saves money during vehicle production.[8]

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join