It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC Debate - Did anyone else hear the crowd clap for the death penalty?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by revswirl

It's not about eye for and eye. It's not about deterance. It's about recognizing someone's lack of care for society and giving them the punishment they have brought upon themselves for their own repeated anti-social actions.

So... killing some one means they have a lack of care for society.... Reminds me of the government.... Go figure.

Okay. So, killing them for killing, is different? It just seems a bit hypocritical is all. You killed some one so we are going to kill you... Not saying punishment is not needed. I just find the punishment a bit on the ironic side. Don't you?

What has it deterred anyway? Murder( And other crimes worthy of the death penalty) still happens all the time.
edit on 8-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
This thread is about half a room filled with people getting off on just by the mention
of capital punishment.

Originally posted by revswirl

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
The only problem I have with the death penalty is the hypocrisy of it.

Often, people who get the death penalty, do so because they killed....So...How does killing them make us any better than them?

That said, I did not catch the debate this time around. Just.... was not in the mood to listen to a bunch of politicians stand around and see who can tell the best lie.
edit on 8-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

It's not about eye for and eye. It's not about deterance. It's about recognizing someone's lack of care for society and giving them the punishment they have brought upon themselves for their own repeated anti-social actions.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I noticed that Newt Gingrich is clearly on stage to be a cheerleader for the Republican Party,

So see through.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Peruvianmonk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I think the the crowd clap was edited into the audio! Check out the camera pan, I see no one clapping?

Anyway who would clap for Perry the stupefied POSER?
edit on 8-9-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by no time
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

For sure innocent people have died after being wrongfully convicted. But this sounds awfully like an argument that if your child doesn't do well in school then there should be no school. A free ride for the rest of their life, turns out, is not a very good deterrent to violent crime.

I'm not sure where the 'if your child doesn't do well in school then there should be no school.' idea comes into this. It's a question of whether murdering innocent citizens is acceptable in pursuit of executing guilty ones. The answer to that HAS to be a resounding NO or what is it we're trying to save in the American system?

I was brought up to believe to my core that it's better for 10 guilty men to walk than 1 innocent man to be convicted. I must say that picturing myself in the position of the innocent man, I can't fault the logic.
Reform of evidence and trial rules would go a long way toward rectifying our problems....but the slaughter of people that MAY OR MAY NOT BE guilty is simply abhorrent until that system can be brought into a condition where we're SURE we aren't killing innocent citizens.

Deterrence? Well... I'll be the first to be honest here, despite the fact few seem to be on this issue. Deterrence went clear out the window as a real thing the day after hanging in the public square became taboo. If a potential criminal has never seen an execution, rarely hears about one and OFTEN hears about people 'beating' the death penalty on true technical issues, not a quilt or innocence issue, then deterrence is absolutely worthless. I can't help but think those who still use that argument to support Capital Punishment just make fools of everyone who supports it for the right reasons.

We might as well just come right out and be 100% straight about it. Death has two purposes. One is to remove the threat to society by physical means so they can never victimize an innocent citizen again. Second is pure and simple revenge by society, and I have NO problem with that. Revenge is as good a reason as any with what Capital Murderers have usually done to earn their room on Death Row. Let's just make SURE we stop sending people to their deaths who didn't do what they are dying for. That's all.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Jeez people settle down. Nobody was cheering about killing innocent people here. You do know that people cheer for their celebrities/ idols even before they even say anything right? If people like Rick Perry this much, then yes that's what they were doing. They weren't cheering for killing people tho.

And my stance on the death penalty is it's needed. If a family/peers/judge feels that the person is sooo evil they do not deserve to live on the Earth well then, that should be up to the victims and their families to decide. It's not inhumane to kill mass murderers in my opinion they had it coming!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Yeah they were. Watch it again.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
I noticed that Newt Gingrich is clearly on stage to be a cheerleader for the Republican Party,

So see through.
edit on 8-9-2011 by Peruvianmonk because: (no reason given)

Wow, great point.

I kept wondering what he was even doing up there. He basically tried to get the media to stop attacking the Rep party.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join