It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks cable reveals anti-piracy group targeted iiNet because Telstra would fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

ONE of America's biggest anti-piracy companies was too scared to take on Telstra over copyright breaches and instead pursued the smaller iiNet, according to leaked documents published on WikiLeaks.

The Motion Picture Association of America decided against a legal battle with Telstra because they were "the big guns" who had "financial resources and demonstrated willingness to fight hard and dirty, in court and out". The MPAA concealed its involvement in the lawsuit against iiNet. The case was taken instead by Australian counterparts the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft, essentially acting as an agent for the Americans. The WikiLeaks cable showed the MPAA was worried it could be portrayed as “giant American bullies versus little Aussie battlers” if anyone were to learn of its involvement.

Source: www.news.com.au... 127300228

Related article: arstechnica.com...

I strongly believe the MPAA's lobbying power against copyright infringement could lead to an internet police in Australia where ISPs would be employed to root out 'copyright infringers' who simply download them to add to their personal video collections.

What do you think? Do you think the MPAA is too powerful a lobbyist for Hollyweird or are they simply defending against copyright violations of Hollywood movies?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Pathetic indeed, the corporations of today have special budgets for their lawsuits, small capital can never win from bigger capital this way because money can buy almost everything in this materialistic world.

GM

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ironfalcon

I strongly believe the MPAA's lobbying power against copyright infringement could lead to an internet police in Australia where ISPs would be employed to root out 'copyright infringers' who simply download them to add to their personal video collections.

You have been proved right of course.
Funny things i know of guy who s a Prison Guard as you know they are just like coppers he is related to the family during a family holiday he invited me to watch some of his pirated movies.Makes me wonder how many coppers and Politicians Soldiers and other civil service wankers do the same as everyone else.
He had whole Media Drive full of pirated movies seems in the case of Politicians and Civil Servants its a case of do as i say and not as i do complete hypocrites in government and corps time both died seems police state is heating up here in Aus as been witnessed in these first few weeks of April 2015
edit on 11-4-2015 by 74joff because: (no reason given)

join