It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic Ponders Randi's $1M Challenge

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

and what are your skills Sir? Qualifications?

-----
Puthoff, also a physicist, invented the tunable infra-red laser and is widely known for his theoretical work on quantum vacuum states and the zero point field. (see The Field, by Lynne McTaggart, for an overview of Puthoff's work in quantum phyics.) If these two are "Laurel and Hardy," at least they come with good résumés. Randi, by contrast, has no scientific training.
----

So, what did you invent ?
Please show that your qualifications before making claims

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

Since when do you need qualifications to understand scientific method, then apply it to a simple experiment? We learned the basics in elementary school. He was a magician and knew what he did was BS and it came off as magic....he is demonstrating the same with all the frauds and charlatans out there in a simplistic way. Anything he does, the average person can do, except most of us don't have a million dollar carrot for motivation.

He accepts anyone, but alot of people have issues with the protocol part and will refuse it since it is too structured and out of the testee's hands to manipulate.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

without qualifications you cannot be scientific and cannot have understanding of certain laws and the energy properties.Is randi a quantum physicist? does randi have scientific qualifications like Phd in physics?quantum mechanics?quantum physics? string theory?

a Msc in physics? phd in biology?msc in biology?

hes a street magician . no scientific qualifications in high sciences.

So now a street magician is superior to scientists?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
A true intuit will never reveal their abilities to the world, because they are without ego.

Nothing to prove to anyone.

I agree. Having seen a couple of people with such abilities myself, I know for a fact that revealing their abilities is something they would completely stay away from.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil

without qualifications you cannot be scientific and cannot have understanding of certain laws and the energy properties.Is randi a quantum physicist? does randi have scientific qualifications like Phd in physics?quantum mechanics?quantum physics? string theory?

This is how frauds work....they over complicate things. It is a simple premise....

-Person says they can do a supernatural ability....they say you will be able to see it, they have "proof"

-James Randi team set up a simple test which the subject and the team will go over and rewrite the protocol until both parties can be happy. This is within reason of course so that no party has a chance to cheat.

-Person will perform test and prove their abilities....which if true, should be an easy thing to do since they do it "all the time".

That's it. Simple, to the point and would shut every skeptic up if someone could actually do what they say they do without tricks or eloquent talking.

Learning and applying scientific method does not need a phD, it is taught in elementary and highschool science classes. The only time you need a PhD is to be able to understand the science you are testing, and the fact is, psychic ability has not been proven scientifically using scientific method. It actually should be alot easier for these people to prove themselves since the methods would be less stringent than actual scientific institutions and all those people with your beloved PhD's.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

A qualification is simply a piece of paper acknowledging that you have knowledge of something. You don't need a qualification to have understanding and knowledge. Just saying.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Exactly. If people start thinking you need a piece of paper to learn, then this world will just collapse lol

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
James Randi is a cynic, not a skeptic, which makes his testing flawed.

There will never be a psychic who will win his challenge.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

So if he put up the test for free you think anyone would bother? It kinda proves his point about being a cynic and a skeptic of the world.

How many psychics are out there right now offering their talents for free for the good of others and having successful results?
And how many are out there right now making books, seminars, tv appearances, private sessions, internet sites, hotlines, and merchandise? As well as getting their name anywhere and everywhere possible in such a competitive industry.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

reply to post by humphreysjim

and what are your skills Sir? Qualifications?

-----
Puthoff, also a physicist, invented the tunable infra-red laser and is widely known for his theoretical work on quantum vacuum states and the zero point field. (see The Field, by Lynne McTaggart, for an overview of Puthoff's work in quantum phyics.) If these two are "Laurel and Hardy," at least they come with good résumés. Randi, by contrast, has no scientific training.
----

So, what did you invent ?
Please show that your qualifications before making claims

Oh, don't get me wrong, Puthoff is also brilliant, I never implied otherwise. But he is a credulous crackpot, still. The need to believe often outweighs the most brilliant of minds. Shame, really.

Randi may not be a trained Physicist, but he is trained to spot frauds, and in the best position to test claimed supernatural powers. History has shown time and again that scientists are terrible at doing so, we only need to look to the Uri Geller farce for confirmation of this.
edit on 4-9-2011 by humphreysjim because: Additions

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

and by your definitions ,Randi is a fraud.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Randi does not claim to have these so-called abilities and like other magicians (Houdini for example) he uses his experience in magic performance to test people's claims.

There are people who are very skilled at reading body language to extract very personal information (cold reading) or using certain techniques to predict future events or outcomes (Derren Brown for example) who use techinques which anyone can learn if they want to. I have seen Derren "heal" people, "predict" events and "read" people's minds in his many documentaries and shows. Whilst there are entertainers who can do this, I am not so quick to believe those who claim genuine psychic abilities especially when they appear to be taking advantage of people and taking their money. I know Derren makes lots of money, but he is an entertainer and does not claim to be anything else.

I am sure that if these gifts were genuine, they would be able to get better results than these entertainers as they have the advantage of actually being able to read minds, see the future, heal, move things with their minds, talk to the dead etc. Instead we get unreliability, excuses and vagueness, which to me proves fakery.

To all those out there who claim real supernatural powers, prove Randi wrong (hell prove me wrong). Show us once and for all its real, because deep down I really, really want to believe.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

I'm not sure how you read into that, but that's how believers work....they read into what they want to see and ignore the rest.
Cynicism, like I said, can be good for dividing the charlatans from the real deals....but yet to have had a real deal prove anything other then they are really good at pulling the wool over some gullible peoples eyes.

How would you test people that claim to talk to UFO's to summon them, or people who claim to be Yaweh incarnate?
If you have a better idea, im listening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join