It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds gene "overdose" link to being skinny

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

LONDON (Reuters) - People with extra copies of certain genes are much more likely to be very skinny, scientists said Wednesday in the first finding of a genetic cause for extreme thinness.

In a study in the journal Nature, researchers from Britain's Imperial College London and the University of Lausanne in Switzerland found that a duplication of a part of chromosome 16 is associated with being underweight.

Previous research has found that people with a missing copy of these genes are 43 times more likely to be morbidly obese.

I thought this was an interesting article because Im pretty skinny for my age/weight, ect... No matter how much I eat, or how much I excersise, I barley gain anything. I originally thought it was because I have a pretty fast metabolism, but maybe it is this instead?

I wonder if having duplicates of these genes have other effects on the body?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That is some pretty interesting stuff. I will likely never know why I am skinny. I've never given anybody a chance to get my blood or dna. Just don't trust modern medicine with that sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I appreciate this most usefull info. So now, I'm wondering, are they going to find a way to 'bottle' that, if you will, so everyone can shake off these 200 lb hot rubber suits, before they kill everyone, and, their healthcare systems.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Tell me how much you eat per day, I bet you are not eating enough.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Most of my life was spent as underweight, but not for the lack of eating.

Froguel's team examined the DNA of more than 95,000 people for their study. They found that half of all children with the duplication in the study had previously been diagnosed with a "failure to thrive" -- meaning that their rate of weight gain is significantly lower than normal.

Froguel said scientists still have much work to do to find out more about the genes in this region, but their discovery could eventually lead to new potential treatments for obesity and appetite disorders.

"We now plan to sequence these genes and find out what they do, so we can get an idea of which ones are involved in regulating appetite," he said.

I don't think they're looking at the whole picture here. They make it sound like the people who are underweight are that way because they don't eat enough. I used to have to eat huge meals to keep my weight up, especially when I was in my teens.
Some of us just couldn't get the weight up, no matter how much we ate.

Cool study though, I too wonder what the other health effects might be.....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I know I have a missing copy.
My wife has always been skinny, but since she had a hysterectomy she's been gaining weight. She told me when she was in high school, she could eat (2) Burger King whoppers with cheese and fries and never gain weight! Heck, I don't think I could ever eat (2) whoppers now!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Today - 3 pancakes for breakfast (always the same for breakfast for the past 5 years) and 2 glasses of milk. a pepperoni pizza (digorno) for lunch, then 3 double cheeseburgers and fries from burger king for dinner. Im problably going to have a little snack before I go to sleep tonight, but not sure exactly what yet. This is pretty much what my diet has been for the past couple years, just with different stuff for lunch and dinner.

Also, im 23 and 5'11
edit on 31-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA - The pancakes are the "Der Wafflebaker" brand. The ones I eat come in packages of 3 pancakes.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

Today - 3 pancakes for breakfast (always the same for breakfast for the past 5 years) and 2 glasses of milk. a pepperoni pizza (digorno) for lunch, then 3 double cheeseburgers and fries from burger king for dinner. Im problably going to have a little snack before I go to sleep tonight, but not sure exactly what yet. This is pretty much what my diet has been for the past couple years, just with different stuff for lunch and dinner.

Also, im 23 and 5'11

ETA - The pancakes are the "Der Wafflebaker" brand. The ones I eat come in packages of 3 pancakes.

I know I'm going to sound like a "mom" here, but I sure hope there's a bunch of fruits and vegies in your day somewhere

Your breakfast could use some protein also, a couple of eggs, or a small steak or something with your waffles.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

you eat that every day?

pancakes 300 cals, milk 200 cals, the whole pizza? 2100 cals! burgers 1350 cals, lg fries (you didnt specify size) 540 cals.

total: 4490.

you would have to be very active id think to eat that every day without gaining weight.
edit on 31-8-2011 by snarfbot because: had calorie info from mcdonalds not bk, adjusted the numbers.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Sometimes Ill throw in potatoes, corn, or greenbeans into one of my lunch or dinner meals, but only sometimes. Occasionally, Ill slice up a banana and toss it on my pancakes, but thats only once in awhile to. I do love me some orange or apple juice anytime of the day though.

I usually try to have eggs atleast once a week, and they come in during my lunch meals. I never really eat eggs for breakfast, and Ive never really been a fan of steak.

reply to post by snarfbot

The pancakes are almost always everyday. The digorno pizza is one of their square little pizzas, not the huge one. Ill check the calorie amount on the pizza in a bit. The fries are usually small, but sometimes medium, depending on how hungry I am.

ETA - I checked the pizza box and it says 580 calories, but I also sometimes like to toss on an extra bit of cheese and sometimes bacon strips on top, but not all the time. I also sometimes get the pancakes with blueberries inside, other than always having regular buttermilk

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Holy cow! If I ate like you I would be as big as a house. I am of a healthy weight, but not with out constant effort. I eat extremely healthy. No junk food ever, no grains (I can't). I also exercise daily. Being healthy is a lifestyle for me, but I still have to be careful. It didn't used to be like that but after 3 kids, it changed.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Lift weights, focus on compounds = bench press, squats, deadlift, military press, pull-ups.

Eat bigger, healthier or you'll just get fat, muscle weighs more than fat, muscle fills you out better aswell.

I used to weigh 69 kg at 6'1 now I weigh 85kg at same height, same body fat %.

This is what I eat for you to use as an example take out things you are allergic to and replace with something of similar nutritional value.

Breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs with wholemeal bread + glass of whole milk (Sometimes i cook myself 3-4 large pancakes and eat with butter)

Meal 2: Two glasses of orange juice + jam sandwich or large bowl of oatmeal with whole milk

Work-out

Post-workout: 1 Litre of milk

Dinner: Indulge your taste buds here. Eat as much as you can.

Meal 4: 3 scrambled eggs + one 40ml shot of extra-virgin olive oil (good fat, easy calories)

Meal 5: Something high protein, high fat + another 40ml shot of extra-virgin olive oil.

That should be, on average, 4000 calories.

You have to do this while lifting weights or you'll just gain fat, srs. You can get more creative with this if you wish, add salads, play around with mixtures, and so on. I'm 21 years old. and this has worked for me so far, the 30ml shot can be drizzled on the food, doesn't matter, just as long as you consume it. Make sure to drink atleast 3L of water also.

Hell, add a pizza here and there if you wish, just gotta be consistent and have some good nutrients going through your body or the reason you might not be gaining could be that all the cheese-burgers, pizzas and so on are taxing your digestive system.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

See, this is the real mystery to me: A body change occurrs, and suddenly after that, major weight change. I worked at this one job with a gal who was younger than me, but she was about over 200 lbs (average height, not tall) and said to me, she had been skinny, then had her baby, then all that weight piled on, but not only so, it was the extraordinarily stubborn kind that doesn't want to leave, no matter what measures you take.
This monsterous fat is the G** D****est thing. I can see that there are corporate eugenicist like food-and-medicine conspiracies such as not publicizing the truth about cancer cures, but it seems to me that zillions in wealth would be the spoils for the final fat-Victor, surely that motivates more than depopulationist ideology. (?)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

I agree with your thinking. I really think dieting does nothing but puts extra weight on after you lose it. Your body seems to want to protect itself from any drastic changes.

top topics

join