It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Member Claiming To Have Important Warning/Information. You Be The Judge...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Uhh, why are we talking about space? It's an earthquake measuring organization, and the post was in a fracking thread...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I keep wondering why the Arkansas thread.
Why not the Quake 2011 or Volcano 2011
thread. Just as easy for the OP to find to
post on. Should we be thinking something
to do with Arkansas, fracking etc.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
reply to post by ButterCookie

LOL...good question.

If this is Volcanic...than every known volcanic threat in the US is quite well monitored, and if pointed in the right direction there are enough people on here that know what they're doing that we could figure it out.

SO...give us more than a brief, cryptic email exchange. If YOU (original OP) really want to warn people....you need to tell us at least WHERE so we can confirm activity and threat level. What you provided will NOT save lives, only some discussion.

Sounds good!!

I say we give them 24 hrs to respond

Otherwise......

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Hey Westcoast,
I think you are right in giving this post it's own thread. If this is legitimate we could have a big mess with a hurricane and a major earthquake back to back.
Do you think maybe the Virginia quake was a warm-up?
Like I said in your last thread. We should all have at least 72 hours of supplies and a soild emergency plan in place.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
In order to consolidate all relevant posts, here is my original reply to this post:

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Let's dig in to this and see if we can shake anything out.

...The computer model was generated under NASA's QuakeSim project, a computational framework for modeling and understanding earthquake and tectonic processes. QuakeSim focuses on deformation of Earth's crust, which can be measured using airborne and spaceborne technologies. The models and data can be used to better understand earthquake hazard, stress transfer between faults, and ground disturbance following earthquakes.

QuakeSim, a collaboration of JPL-Caltech, USC, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Indiana University, and NASA Ames, is sponsored by NASA's Advanced Information Systems Technology Program through the Earth Science Technology Office.

source

So we know for a fact that JPL works with quite a few groups studying earthquakes.

QuakeSim

We are forming a community-led InSAR Working Group dedicated to the advancement of radar remote sensing research. The potential of a robust InSAR observational capability has generated strong interest amongst the research and applications communities. The role of InSAR spans a broad spectrum of end uses including crustal deformation science related to earthquakes, volcanoes, hydrologic processes, ice sheet and glacier variability, vegetation structure, and disaster management. Long-term access to InSAR data will greatly advance our understanding of how these basic processes affect life on Earth. Consequently, the US scientific community should devise a long-term strategy for US InSAR activities, including the funding of dedicated US InSAR satellites, access to foreign SAR data, and continued education and advocacy for InSAR science.

More JPL stuff of interest

This report summarizes the major findings of a symposium attended by 260 scientists and engineers in an effort to guide U.S. efforts in Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar (InSAR), a critical tool for studying dynamic changes of the Earth’s surface and natural hazards associated with these changes. InSAR observations provide critical and otherwise unavailable data enabling comprehensive, global measurements to better understand and predict changes in the Earth system. The InSAR Workshop was funded jointly by NASA’s Earth Science program, the Geosciences Directorate of the National Science Foundation, and the U.S. Geological Survey. We hope that these and other agencies heed the call for a coordinated InSAR program to address these important research questions

From a report dated 2004

More:

Natural hazards. SAR interferometry has demonstrated valuable information for monitoring and predicting or forecasting a variety of hazards, from air, water, and earth. Large-scale hazards generated in the Earth include earthquakes and volcanic eruptions; each is driven by tectonic forces within the Earth’s crust. Observation of deformation from subsurface flow of magma and of the accumulation of strain within the crust is needed to be able to understand these great forces of nature. More localized, but often intense, hazards include landslides, mud flows, and land subsidence or collapse due to natural or human removal of subsurface material or fluids and permafrost melting. Flooding is the most damaging hazard in most areas, from rainfall, snow, and ice melting, and natural or human-made dam collapse. In coastal regions, hurricanes, intense local wind events, shore erosion, and oil spills are major hazards. Finally, fire in forests and other vegetation is a major hazard in many areas. For each of these hazards, InSAR has proven a help in assessing damage after the events and evaluating the risk of future events by understanding and monitoring the processes involved

Source

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

The OP stated that he/she wasn't sure where to post it but wanted to get the attention of those who could help. It looks like the OP picked a thread that was fairly well frequented so that it would get attention, which it did. Also, the OP is new and needed help getting it noticed.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
ETA: info coming fast!! Thankyou JadedANDcynical. I think you are spot on!!!!

Okay guys....let's regroup.

I have to go for a bit, but first I really want to post this.

Thanks to Dragonlover for this link. I think the M8 is refering to an earthquake prediction program. here is a link to it and excerpt:

Lessons learned included the challenge of complete openness during the intense media
coverage of the Brady-Spence prediction, that of high-level political interest in the review
of Keilis-Borok's M8 prediction algorithm, the risk of delay in the Browning case
(holding a press conference only after it already had too much momentum). He noted that
NEPEC was disbanded in the mid-1990s not for lack of interest in prediction science but
due to the internal fiscal challenges of the Survey and political friction over the
committee's work. Wesson also noted that NEPEC was the only external advisory
committee for the USGS earthquake program, thus was often tasked with providing
overall program guidance, a role currently held by the SESAC

(This is from the USGS BTW)

PDF

It just makes more sense to me as to why they would post in the Arkansas thread.
edit on 26-8-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

S & F to Westcoast and to Dragonlover. That makes much more sense than the Nebula, although that would have been interesting also. Glad that was corrected. Can get tricky trying to decipher when OP hasn't clarified and there are more than one thing referring to the M8.

S & F!!!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Jet Propulsion Laboratory is linked to GEONET. GEONET seems to be used in Japan and New Zealand. New Zealand seems to be going through some earth quakes.
www.geonet.org.nz...

link   
Intriguing to say the least, but why would JPL have anything to do with an earthquake prediction algorithm??

edit on 26-8-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

Nevermind...lol
edit on 26-8-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: I'm too damned slow

link   
When you have an email trail that is vague from each contributer with not one person stating a one clear specific or even asking a clear specific question? i.e. request for info!

Then its unlikely to be geniune and most likely constructed by some dumb f..k nerd!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I have to agree with the celestial interpretation if the warning is real because there are protocols for earthquakes and volcanos.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainEnigma

Odd thought here...

What if its both?

Maybe they plugged info from the M8 space info into the earthquake program?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If they're talking about the potential for a magnitude 8 earthquake at, say, New Madrid, and their program is predicting such an event, then I can certainly understand their lack of both preparedness and protocol for dealing with such a situation. There's no precedence on how to handle any sort of serious earthquake prediction. Earthquakes have always been dealt with after the fact.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
These emails could be a hoax - could be genuine but nothing of significance - or could be a trickle of info of value. You have to wade through a lot of manure to find a pearl or two - but you have to do the wading to do the finding!! And at least in my personal experience, I find more when I do the wading myself, which I value ATS for.
S&F - and thanks to WC - as usual!
edit on 8/26/2011 by Open2Truth because: relevancy misshap

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Heres a PDF from JPL. They do monitor earth quakes.This PDF is on Japan.
igscb.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
If they're talking about the potential for a magnitude 8 earthquake at, say, New Madrid, and their program is predicting such an event, then I can certainly understand their lack of both preparedness and protocol for dealing with such a situation. There's no precedence on how to handle any sort of serious earthquake prediction. Earthquakes have always been dealt with after the fact.

This is a good point.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
thank you
westcoast

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Alright....I updated my OP to include the info about JPL and M8 that jadedANDcynical and Dragonlover provided.

I think it key to keep things as clear as possible.

CLPrime. I agree and would be hard-pressed to beleive this is about predicting a M8 quake. I am leaning towards it having to do with the M8 algorithm...what that means yet, I haven't a clue. I have to read the paper first from USGS about that program.

Odds are, this is a complete hoax....but what if it isn't? I felt I had to at least put it out there.

I'll do some more reading and investigating when I get back in a bit. Perhaps Admin can do some work on the IP and let us know if the source looks legit.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I have posted before on this,does this have something to do with Betelgeuse and the pending super nova/gamma-ray burst?
Give me time to elaborate.
edit on 26-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join