It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looking for a book on the constitution!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ok, so I hear the constitution brought up all the time during debates and news stories, but I don't know all there is to know about it (I don't think the majority of people in gov't really do). So what I'm looking for is a book that really breaks down the constitution piece by piece. A thorough examination of the guidelines set forth by our founding fathers on how the govt should be run. If anybody has any suggestions please throw some out. It would be appreciated

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
US Constitution
Us Constitution for Dummies
The Fderalist Papers
The federalst Papers - 2nd link

Also make sure you understand the differnece between a Democracy and a Representative Republic as there are differences.

In addition the Federal Constitution, I would recomend that you also research how the State Governments work in relation to the FEdreal Government.

For all intents and purposes the 50 States are their own entities for domestic issues. A person sho lives in say New York state is not only a citizen of the State of New York, but also a Citizen of the United states of America.

A lot of the issues people bring up are actually state issues. They will invoke Federal Constitutional arguments which, most of the time, dont apply because it is local and not federal. If you have specific questions on how laws work, keep in mind you will find differing perspectives based on profession.

Legislative passes laws
Executive enforces the laws
Judicial prosecutes the violations

there will always be a difference in how a law is intended to be enforced, and how its actually enforced, which results in case law.

Other than that, feel free to ask questions.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Try this book out. I've heard several say it's fantastic. I've been looking into buying this one.

The Making of America - National Center for Constitutional Studies
edit on 21-8-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

thanks for the links. I'm really looking for a book since I have to use my phone foe the internet. I have a good idea of how the constitution works. I've watched many speeches by ron paul and andrew napolitano and have read many books on the subject but I would like a book that breaks it down as far as how our founding fathers wanted it to be interpreted. Maybe from a libertarian point of view

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Checked that book out and it looks great. Will have to give it a try. Thanks

new topics

top topics

join