It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacked in 60 Seconds: Thieves Could Steal Cars via Text Messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Hacked in 60 Seconds: Thieves Could Steal Cars via Text Messages

blogs.scientificamer ican.com

Forget your car keys? Soon it won’t make a difference, as long as you have your laptop. An interesting viral Web video (see below) making the rounds since the Black Hat cybersecurity conference earlier this month depicts two researchers from iSEC Partners (a San Francisco-based security firm) breaking into a 1998 Subaru Outback via their PC. In less than 60 seconds, they wirelessly find the car’s security system module, bypass it and start the engine remotely.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Very nice on those cold mornings to use you key holder to start and warm-up your vehicle. Then in five minutes you can run out to your car, press another button to unlock the doors and be on your merry way. Auto thieves like that too.Ain't new technology wonderful?

If hackers can figure out the number or address for a particular car, they could use a PC to send commands via text messages that instruct the car to disarm, unlock and start.

But wait, it doesn't stop there. It's more than your car that's endangered with these new devices.

What bothers them more is that wireless-enabled systems are showing up not just in cars but also in Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems that control and secure power plants, water-treatment facilities and other components of the nation’s critical infrastructure, they told CNET.

On-Board Diagnostics opens up some other interesting possibilities as well. Sabotage anyone?

blogs.scientificamer ican.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 21-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I would imagine a Nuclear power plant will be a little bit more secure than a car......

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
I would imagine a Nuclear power plant will be a little bit more secure than a car......

Get past the gate guard and it's all push-button from there. At least I hope not.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well im lucky then, as the that car ive got, needs a key in the ignition and alot of hard work to start it, and then the bloody thing wont start for me most of the time.
So i dont have to worry about anyone stealing my piece of S%^#.
So this story is another reason im not as rich as some

edit on 21-8-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

I have a '07 compact SUV, easy to start, etc. I did not want the module and I need a key to enter and start mine. It just seemed much more secure.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

what ever happened to breaking a window

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dilapidated

I guess if your are desperate you could do that. They did away with wing windows in the late 60's. Windows are larger and leave a of of glass inside the car. A slim-jim is excellent for gaining entry, then just jimmy the ignition, unlock the wheel, then you're off.

I think the techie-thieves have a cleaner get-away. Do all the preliminaries at a short distance, then drive off in an open and running car.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
reply to post by meathed

I have a '07 compact SUV, easy to start, etc. I did not want the module and I need a key to enter and start mine. It just seemed much more secure.

Yeah i understand what your saying mate, but we have a REAL choice to make in life. Do we want the biggest, brightest, shiniest, newest invention that will seem to make our life seem easier. Or do we go with the simple, tried and trusted?

I know for a fact, no mobile phone or EMP will start or effect my car.
Maybe, Sometimes simple is best.

Peace mate.
Meathed

edit on 21-8-2011 by meathed because: my edumaction done me wrong

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
Well im lucky then, as the that car ive got, needs a key in the ignition and alot of hard work to start it, and then the bloody thing wont start for me most of the time.
So i dont have to worry about anyone stealing my piece of S%^#.
So this story is another reason im not as rich as some

edit on 21-8-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

I guess I am really lucky! To start my vehicle, a sequence of things needs to be done. The HHO reactors have to be activated and warmed up, this is done with one key, and two switches, then the ignition key turns on the coil, then a starter button must be pushed to start the engine. the a brake lock under the seat has to be pulled up to unlock the brakes. Good luck stealing my van!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You would hope so but it seems that may not be the case.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

I guess I am really lucky! To start my vehicle, a sequence of things needs to be done. The HHO reactors have to be activated and warmed up, this is done with one key, and two switches, then the ignition key turns on the coil, then a starter button must be pushed to start the engine. the a brake lock under the seat has to be pulled up to unlock the brakes. Good luck stealing my van!

OOOOO Unlock the brakes, no wnder I couldnt get away with yur van last night, not I know.
See ya tonight
In the rearview!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Get past the gate guard and it's all push-button from there. At least I hope not.

you won't get past the guard shack, if you don't belong there....all of them are armed with automatic weapons..at least in the states, they are. i've made freight deliveries to several of them, and trust me....you don't stand a chance at getting past them.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Been in one on a college trip a while back now, we needed clearance cards, full body searches, metal detector stuff and all that.

One of my friends lost his clearance card and they wouldn't let us leave the room in which they deal with visitors and stuff. Plus they have armed guards and what not. They are pretty secure.

We weren't even allowed anywhere near the actual reactor either, pretty sure they had more checks around that area of the plant too. The turbine rooms how ever, were awesome.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilapidated

Path of least resistance happened.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is not really new. Maybe for these guy and their setup, but the wireless starting of certain cars made it easy for some to steal them a fews years back. I can't show the news clips or papers regarding it as it was largely not believed by the police and media at the time but some mechanics were certain.

join