It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Marijuana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My friend who is a grower in California has told me that he thinks allot of the marijuana coming out of Mexico is genetically modified because the seeds from the bud wont grow. I have seen a couple articles on the topic of genetically modified marijuana, so it does exist. I would be willing to bet that Marijuana is one of the top 5 crops sold in the US.We all know what Monsanto is I dont see why they would not take the opportunity to Gm marijuana. Its not regulated so they dont have to go threw the processes of getting it approved. Their are multiple reasons, to gm marijuana, such as heat and potency.

www.globalpost.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It has already been GM for generations. That is why there are different strains each with different and special uses. How many strains are there now compared to 15 years ago? I highly doubt that GM would have been the cause of your friends unviable seeds because if that was the case than almost all Cananbis seeds wouldn't grow.

Immature or crushed or damaged seeds will not grow, in any plant species.
edit on 20-8-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish
It has already been GM for generations. That is why there are different strains each with different and special uses. How many strains are there now compared to 15 years ago? I highly doubt that GM would have been the cause of your friends unviable seeds because if that was the case than almost all Cananbis seeds wouldn't grow.

Immature or crushed or damaged seeds will not grow, in any plant species.

To make a new strain of marijuana you get 2 different strains, 1 female, 1 male. Flower them together, and they'll produce seeds.

When making something GMO they brake into the DNA and add FORAN genes, from another plant or animal.

2 completely different things. Creating a new strain is like creating a new breed of dog, you just get 2 different breeds to have sex. If some one where to GMO the dog they would cut out a piece of DNA from a bird and put it in a dog so that its puppies can have wings. (extream example)

edit on 20-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well think about it. They would not want you to grow your own so a little GM work would be the thing to make the seeds no good so you would have to buy from them. Stopping you from growing your own is money in there pocket. That is true with all seeds of all types.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

That's not how the Native Americans GM corn...www.youtube.com...
I also saw how the Amerindians GM'd maize on t.v. shows. In otherwords there is more info out there on this than my link.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Most growers use clones. Plants without seeds, sinsemillia. They will often keep seeds if available to keep the strain "going" but most of the time clones are used.

With as many growers as their is worldwide, Most being secrative, it would be near impossible for a company like Monsanto to do something to hinder the growing of this useful plant. Can we agree on that?

When you mix dog breeds are you not modifying the genes?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Most growers use clones. Plants without seeds, sinsemillia. They will often keep seeds if available to keep the strain "going" but most of the time clones are used.

With as many growers as their is worldwide, Most being secrative, it would be near impossible for a company like Monsanto to do something to hinder the growing of this useful plant. Can we agree on that?

Remember we are talking about monsanto not native American's. No I cant agree with that because they have taken over %90 of our corn industry. "When you mix dog breeds are you not modifying the genes?" Im talking about DNA splicing, witch you dont seem to get. TAKING ANOTHER PLANTS GENES OR ANIMAL GENES AND MIXING IT WITH A TOTALLY DIFFERENT PLANT OR ANIMAL. Not taking the same plant with a different strain and mixing it. ANOTHER EXAMPLE!!!!!! A mexican having a babies with a African is like 2 different dogs having sex. A GMO example, a rabbit having babies with a human. 2 totally different things.

Most of the Marijuana thats in the southern states comes from drug cartels, who could make a deal with monsanto to not only modify their marijuana crops but all so modify coca crops.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Marijuana is one of the worlds largest cash crops. You better believe they know who every grower on Earth is.

Over 10-20 years they could replace the entire planets marijuana plants with a Monsanto GM plant. Fully feasible.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Weed, from Mexico, wont grow because they bundle it wet and compress it to ship large quantities.

in most cases the seeds are broken and peeled when you tear the brick apart.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
They have only just mapped the genome of C.sativa recently without this no GM Cannabis can be or has been produced except as polypoidal genetics created with teratogenics like gamma irradiation or colchicine.Dead seeds from mexican brick seems far more likely then viable with compression and curing techniques used as well as the unknown amount of storage time in this condition.
seed

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy

To make a new strain of marijuana you get 2 different strains, 1 female, 1 male. Flower them together, and they'll produce seeds.

edit on 20-8-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)

New strain?

More like a hybrid.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Because it is the largest cash crop doesn't mean that they know everyone who grows it. Marijuana is illegal in most countries soo they wouldn't know most who grew it because of everyone guerilla farming.

HEMP is the cash crop you speak of. Not marijuana.

To the other poster who responded about the Amerindian GM, the topic at hand is GM, the Native Americans did it with maize so it is relevant to the topic. GM

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Hi, It was GM in the first place
, your friend must know alot about drugs huh?

new topics

top topics

join