It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP killing off mobile business, will either spin off or sell PC business

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

The article states that HP will kill off its mobile business that is based around there acquisition of Palm. Two years ago HP spent $1.8 billion to buy Palm for its webOS and have an integrated platform much like Apple. I read an article recently on how BestBuy was forcing HP to buy back there unsold tablets because they had only sold a small percentage of them.(linked below) As far as HP spinning off or selling there PC business, I'm not sure who could step up to buy the number one, by volume, PC manufacturer in the world. A spin off seems more likely. They point out how mobile is killing there consumer PC business, but they bow out of mobile? It seems the company is in disarray. I'm not sure how trying to be more like IBM is gonna keep them afloat. Between poor management and an economy not big enough to support so many players, HP isn't looking good right now.

www.businessinsider.com...
edit on 19-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for content

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
HP makes craptacular electronics anyways. This is no big loss.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Whoever is in charge of HP is just trying to copy IBM

however IBM sold its losing side of the business which only accounted for 5% revenue at IBM

Hardware sales at HP account for over 20% of HP revenue!!!

LUDICRIOUS decision to even announce this, HP stock is down 20% today lol

HP is no IBM, IBM is a big player in software utiltiies and services. Who ever is running HP is just trying to clone IBM, BLINDLY.

I would short HP big time.

If you own shares long in HP, WORRY

MSFT is always the chicken stock, ever since the corruption of GOOG buying ONT, I left tech stocks, they are too volatile and rife with corruption as they blow whistling dixie out their rsholes for products.

I stick to Basic Materlas, Mining companies, they are easy to determine their true value, they have a finite resource / product. Easy to calcaulate
NO FUD.

AMEX.GMO is where its at currently

Everybody and their cat is pumping into energy and RE companies., I avoid the crowd. I just stick to foundations, Moly, used in Steel making, used in every construction on the planet
ie., CHINA

I would also avoid gold and silver mining companies. Again avoiding the crowd.

edit on 19-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well there goes all of the PARTS supplies for PALMS,,
they will drop like "HOT" cakes,,, lol

speaking of which, anyone want some radio-active parts,, for sale,, get your,,

lol

hey the big R dont, only kill, and go away,,
its like the Energizer Bunny,,

get your parts here,,, hmmmm?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
wonder what would happened to COMPAQ, since they are more lower end than HP.

what would happened to those who just had bought HP & COMPAQ? serve them right?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
HP revenues are gona plumet.

Who is gona buy HP now lol

Bad stock to be long on, good to short

Earnings are gona be lousy going forward the next 12 18 months.

Short interest on HP... keep watching this ROCKET

www.nasdaq.com...
shortsqueeze.com...

edit on 19-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
People still buy stuff from this dinosaur and Compaq? They can't compete with the likes of Sony and Samsung, anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
the only good thing HP makes is printers, other than that their computers aren't really that good, I fixed so many of them, and eMachines that they are the worst of the worst in computers .

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Starting in 2003 Microsoft crawled in bed with Phoenix Bios, they wanted a way to disabled HARDWARE on computers if someone used the bootleg Windows XP.

Since 2007 masses of people have been complaining their HP laptops were dying.

They didn't like Windows VISTA and were putting their Windows XP on those HP machines. It was Microsoft disabling HP's Hardware.

You can go on Ebay and buy perfectly good 17" laptop screens for $20.....because there's so many HP Laptops that had their motherboards disabled via the BIOS.

Any Computer made prior to 2003 is now worth it's weight in GOLD. The ones with a BIOS.....where the HARDWARE can't be disabled by someone remotely.

That's why HP is out of the PC business. MicroSoft. Look for PC's made before 2003.....stockpile them.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypr2011
the only good thing HP makes is printers, other than that their computers aren't really that good, I fixed so many of them, and eMachines that they are the worst of the worst in computers .

isn't eMachines from acer?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Starting in 2003 Microsoft crawled in bed with Phoenix Bios, they wanted a way to disabled HARDWARE on computers if someone used the bootleg Windows XP.

Since 2007 masses of people have been complaining their HP laptops were dying.

They didn't like Windows VISTA and were putting their Windows XP on those HP machines. It was Microsoft disabling HP's Hardware.

You can go on Ebay and buy perfectly good 17" laptop screens for $20.....because there's so many HP Laptops that had their motherboards disabled via the BIOS.

Any Computer made prior to 2003 is now worth it's weight in GOLD. The ones with a BIOS.....where the HARDWARE can't be disabled by someone remotely.

That's why HP is out of the PC business. MicroSoft. Look for PC's made before 2003.....stockpile them.

"Any Computer made prior to 2003 is now worth it's weight in GOLD. The ones with a BIOS.....where the HARDWARE can't be disabled by someone remotely."

Thank-you,,(Any Computer made prior to 2003,,basement is full, )

i will take it from there ,,
See a Script was written, to access,,,
Read Only Memory,,ROM,
where all the "electrical commands" were stored ,,for the" Hardware,"
think of it as the
"last GATEWAY" too fall to the,,, invasive,,, holy grail, of Computing,
Mechanical Access at the Bios Level. by the Platform OS.

The first "big " .,,use of this "script " was in Laptops,,,
To save Energy,,, for the Batteries",,automatc shutdown.
On the "Desktop Os's " this was called,,,,,"instant Off"
In the Bios it was called,, "4 sec delay"

The Bios was now Breached.

edit on 20-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As someone said, HP are copying IBM's move 6 years ago.

However, that doesn't mean that HP machines will go unsupported or that they are suddenly going to stop making PC's. They are just going to hive off that arm of the business and probably sell it. Their tablets, phones and computers will be sold under another brand name.

That said, making PC's is something a Joe Bloggs can do themselves and there is no real need for large "manufacturers" (read - assemblers) of PC's. It's also a damn site cheaper than buying a pre-built.

HP have also just splurged several billion buying a UK software firm called Autonomy which will give them a significant edge in emerging software markets. With this acquisition they can replicate the model IBM took some years ago.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

What?!
I just bought a new desktop this year and I'm using unregistered XP. No probs here.

Why would want old PCs? They're so pathetically slow.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Yeah, I'd question that posters testimony there. Not only have I not had anything like that happen to me, but I am sure that such a practice (dsiabling of hardware) would be illegal anyway.

At any rate, what's to stop you wiping the drive, reinstalling and, if needs be, flashing the BIOS? That would end any such activity from MS, even though I doubt it to be true.

top topics

join