It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Then Than There Their They're

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dagobert
I find myself immediately losing interest in what someone has to say if they can't take the time to double-check their spelling and grammar before hitting the post button.

I find that awfully sad. I am married to a dyslexic and have taught SEN in primary schools to dyslexics and while their grammar might be bad sometimes, ESPECIALLY if they are being watched for slip ups, it is extremely counter productive to to publicly humiliate them by stating they are no longer worthy of interest because of spelling mistakes.
I know sometimes my husband can't even begin to spell certain words correct for even 'spell check' to be able to correct him.

As for those that are not dyslexic but have bad education... well I can only imagine how crap they must feel reading your statement above.
If you have no idea you are spelling something wrong then why would you check it... and as far as I know there is no 'grammar checker' for this forum or any browser?

I hope I don't offend you by my reply, it wasn't meant as a slap on the wrist but more a sadness that you won't read anything as soon as you see a typo...

Can you imagine (pun intended) if people thought that when reading John Lennons writings?

Or Alexander Graham Bell!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
i have a spell checker on my browser.

i thought it was normal to have one.

the wrongly spelled word will be underlined in red, right click the word and some other words will show up.

as annoying as it is, there, their, they're being misused is not too much of a bother for me.

yeh, to and too don't equal for.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Having read many a shoddily worded school newsletter, I'm not wholly convinced today's teachers know the difference either. On the net though it generally doesn't bother me since even I get confused over the you're business and fall back on using your.
End of the day so long as people aren't hurting my eyes by a wall of un paragraphed text I'm happy to read what they have to say.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sorgfelt

I like your style.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Having read many a shoddily worded school newsletter, I'm not wholly convinced today's teachers know the difference either. On the net though it generally doesn't bother me since even I get confused over the you're business and fall back on using your.
End of the day so long as people aren't hurting my eyes by a wall of un paragraphed text I'm happy to read what they have to say.
edit on 15-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

The way I explain it to my husband and he has remembered now after 11 years! lol

if you can replace the your with you are.... then it is you're.. if you can't replace it with you are then it is your.

your hat.... wouldn't work as 'you are hat'

you're beautiful... would work with 'you are beautiful'

This rule also works for they're... they are.

He's also mastered my tip of... HERE is a place... therefore we need words like where & there as they contain the HERE. I used to hear him typing in the office sometimes and whisper... "where is it? here...ahhh it's w..h..e..r...e.. cool"

Their belongs to someone so needs an I

Looking at his writing from 12 years ago to now it's a very proud wife moment!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I am saddened by the apparent death of grammar.

A few mistakes I love to hate:
Weather vs wether
Accept vs except
Advice vs advise
Affect vs effect
A lot / alot / allot
Allude vs elude
Altogether vs all together
Beside vs besides
Complement vs compliment
Council vs counsel
Decent vs descent
Desperate vs disparate
Discreet vs discrete
Enquire vs inquire

... and the small things that annoy me like the word like, and: Numbers between one to ten should be spelled out. Numbers over ten should be written as values: 11, 12, 13...

If you want to find typo's in just about anything, read it backward (from end to beginning). That way you are not processing the story but are focusing on the individual words.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

It's "YOU'RE"...not "your".

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
1) I am saddened by the apparent death of grammar.

2) ... and the small things that annoy me like the word like, and: Numbers between one to ten should be spelled out. Numbers over ten should be written as values: 11, 12, 13...

3) If you want to find typo's in just about anything, read it backward (from end to beginning). That way you are not processing the story but are focusing on the individual words.

1) As am I. I see it as either a decline in intelligence or a simple lack of caring as to how the poster is viewed by other people.

2) Where did you get that information? Everything I've read about that tells me the opposite; 1 to 10 is valued (like that) and eleven and over is spelled out.

3) Now THAT sounds like a trick worth trying. I've never heard that one before. The grammar police are going to S&F you for that !!
Thank you.

edit on 15-8-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: Grammar

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK

Originally posted by dagobert
I find myself immediately losing interest in what someone has to say if they can't take the time to double-check their spelling and grammar before hitting the post button.

I find that awfully sad. I am married to a dyslexic and have taught SEN in primary schools to dyslexics and while their grammar might be bad sometimes, ESPECIALLY if they are being watched for slip ups, it is extremely counter productive to to publicly humiliate them by stating they are no longer worthy of interest because of spelling mistakes.
I know sometimes my husband can't even begin to spell certain words correct for even 'spell check' to be able to correct him.

As for those that are not dyslexic but have bad education... well I can only imagine how crap they must feel reading your statement above.
If you have no idea you are spelling something wrong then why would you check it... and as far as I know there is no 'grammar checker' for this forum or any browser?

I hope I don't offend you by my reply, it wasn't meant as a slap on the wrist but more a sadness that you won't read anything as soon as you see a typo...

Can you imagine (pun intended) if people thought that when reading John Lennons writings?

Or Alexander Graham Bell!

Dyslexia is the only excuse I'll give someone for bad grammar. My wife is dyslexic and in the past 13 years I've learned a lot about how it works. I find it strange though that, with her at least, it always seems to be certain pairings of letters in words while other pairings she doesn't have a problem with. The word "certian" is one example.

There are also certain tyes of words that she'll get the letters within mixed up, like adjectives and nouns, but other where she won't. Like advebs and pronouns.

I think it would be really interesting to find out why this happens in some people but not others.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl
1) I am saddened by the apparent death of grammar.

2) ... and the small things that annoy me like the word like, and: Numbers between one to ten should be spelled out. Numbers over ten should be written as values: 11, 12, 13...

3) If you want to find typo's in just about anything, read it backward (from end to beginning). That way you are not processing the story but are focusing on the individual words.

1) As am I. I see it as either a decline in intelligence or a simple lack of caring as to how the poster is viewed by other people.

2) Where did you get that information? Everything I've read about that tells me the opposite; 1 to 10 is valued (like that) and eleven and over is spelled out.

3) Now THAT sounds like a trick worth trying. I've never heard that one before. The grammar police are going to S&F you for that !!
Thank you.

edit on 15-8-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: Grammar

1) A total lack of caring or just plain laziness.

Here is a fairly good site for writing numbers vs. numerals:

2) www.dailywritingtips.com...

3) Thank you. I am always surprised by typo's I find within the text of what I assume to be legitimate sources. I have found typo's in menu's of reputable restaurants.

I believe you might enjoy this one as well (taken from the same site I noted above):

www.dailywritingtips.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Get a life...

...all the crap going on in the world and you're bitching about grammar.!

Cosmic...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
And don't forget your and you're , while your on the subject

edit on 14-8-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

Really?

classic

oh the irony, making the exact mistake you're trying to point out.

edit on 15-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

...all the crap going on in the world and you're bitching about grammar.!

This would be one of those problems.

1. It's not just on ATS. It's anywhere a keyboard is used.
2. It's not a grammar issue. People know how to spell, they just choose the wrong words to use.
3. Everyone started doing this, everywhere..
4. Why?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

It winds me up when people confuse "affect" & "effect" but normally I let it slide unless I'm in a particularly bad mood

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I never let it slide. I am always in a bad mood

How about: Assure versus Ensure versus Insure

Or,

Who versus Whom

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Language evolves along with everything else
My two favorites:
- substituting"'would of" for "would've"
- substituting "walla!" for "voila!"

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

how can you care less for something you dont care about?

that phrase is just used way out of meaning..

You couldnt care less you mean, as you dont care at all..

sorry to go OT
edit on 15-8-2011 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Haha, I noticed that too. Bad spelling and grammar drive me nutters, it's one of my 'things'
. Of course I do appreciate that English is not everyone's first language and so I wont lose any sleep over it or go out of my way to correct someone, life is too short!

While we're on the subject of irritating spelling mistakes I'd like to add:

LOSE and LOOSE

e.g. I wear loose clothing i.e. they are not tight. vs I am going to lose 10lbs.

Aaahh so good to get that off my chest

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I saw a good one on the BBC not too long ago.

A headline read:

There's been an incident etc etc.

"There's" is an abbreviation of "there is"

The BBC had used it as "there has".

Idiots!

whilst we are at it. Some need to get it right with "to" and "too" as well.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Was that a joke? :-]

It should be "You're being picky". I thought about the "your" and "you're" thing, but thought that I would let that one slide for now.

I'm an INFP, but I have to deal with and ENTP who is worse.

Even I make mistakes when I am in a hurry, but really, you don't know whether to trust the logic of someone who regularly makes those mistakes.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join