It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A star is torn - and it doesn't happen all that often

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

WHEN a star is torn apart it's a rare event, happening only once every 10,000 years per galaxy. The odds of the light show also being captured by telescope or analysed by astronomers are slim.

Rare sight: An image from the X-ray telescope footage shows the star being destroyed by a supermassive black hole. Photo: Ute Kraus
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/26155bb1e0b2.jpg[/atsimg]
Read more: www.smh.com.au...

They found it in the form of a bright flare - a sign of a star being ripped apart by a supermassive black hole - in a galaxy some 500 million light years away. The stray star was observed again in 2007 at increased brightness, according to the study's leader, Dacheng Lin. But by February this year, when the team searched for it using a NASA X-ray telescope, they could find no trace of the star, which had been obliterated by a supermassive black hole.

Dr Farrell said the star had strayed too close to the black hole's narrow boundary, and astronomers were able to establish its destruction because of the swirling debris which emitted X-rays picked up by the telescopes. Because X-rays do not penetrate Earth's atmosphere, the telescopes are located in space.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

happening only once every 10,000 years per galaxy...

OK, is anyone else sick of these impossible statistics they come up with? We were still discovering planets up until the 20th century, and still discovering new moons around them, BUT.... they know how often a star is torn apart, approximately 10k years.

It's amazing how they seem to know all about the outer galaxies and the universe's age and all, just couldn't figure out if there was water on our moon until 2009 though.

NASA is a joke on all of us, at least I get a good laugh out of it.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

They probably use probability in their estimates.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

I do the same. The probability NASA is lying and controlled by the NSA/CIA is 100%.
The probability that they wouldn't share information with us that could be freeing from debt slavery is also 100%.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

How would you quantify something like that? At least with stars you can find numbers through observation.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

I do the same. The probability NASA is lying and controlled by the NSA/CIA is 100%.
The probability that they wouldn't share information with us that could be freeing from debt slavery is also 100%.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Also planets can be difficult to detect given they are not active emitters of light and can be positioned in places that make detecting them difficult. A grain of sand right next to you is harder to spot than a flashlight a kilometer away.

They detect distance using these methods: imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov... Do you have a problem with them? Why?
edit on 8/8/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

How would you quantify something like that? At least with stars you can find numbers through observation.

So you're saying they've actually counted to the exact proximity of how many stars are out there in all galaxies? I'm pretty sure they haven't even counted the stars in our own galaxy yet, just guesstimates.

I've been studying Astronomy for 30 years and I can tell you for sure, something smells rotten in the backrooms of NASA. I'm also tired of their big media announcements about space farts in other galaxies and napam bacteria that does nothing for any of us.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I've been studying Astronomy for 30 years and I can tell you for sure, something smells rotten in the backrooms of NASA. I'm also tired of their big media announcements about space farts in other galaxies and napam bacteria that does nothing for any of us.

If you actually have evidence for something then please tell us exactly why you think this rather than just oh "something smells rotten" because that does not suffice.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

TR-3Bs.... that's my hard evidence as of now that NASA is showing us the Flintstones technology vs what they really have/ know about.

I've seen with my own 2 eyes these TR-3Bs, they move 1000s of mph & run silent. The internet is flooded with images of them so I need not post one here, and I do not have any "definitive" images of one, though I do have a pic of one of their corner lights I took as it blew right over my car....

NASA wheels out their Orion caveman craft and I laugh, sorry but I can't help it, it's a joke compared to what is being built under our noses. I have a hard time believing anything a liar tells me, that's me though.
edit on 8-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by C0bzz

TR-3Bs.... that's my hard evidence as of now that NASA is showing us the Flintstones technology vs what they really have/ know about.
-snip-
NASA wheels out their Orion caveman craft and I laugh, sorry but I can't help it, it's a joke compared to what is being built under our noses. I have a hard time believing anything a liar tells me, that's me though.
edit on 8-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

I've seen enough things that stretched my imagination in the military. With the release of the stealth blackhawk that no one knew about, coupled with what I've seen, I firmly believe that NASA is leaps and bounds ahead of what is released to the general population. We can envision now how an anti-matter engine would work, and have recently discovered a renewable source in nature of antimatter which is in the form of magnetic veins running around the planet. It is believed that these lines run around every planet and throughout the universe, and harnessing them would not be too much of a stretch for us to accomplish in the near future or present.

With a world full of secret technology, believing what NASA or any letter organization is at best, cute.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery
Rare sight: An image from the X-ray telescope footage shows the star being destroyed by a supermassive black hole. Photo: Ute Kraus
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/26155bb1e0b2.jpg[/atsimg]
Read more: www.smh.com.au...

Why do they call that computer-generated image a photo?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Fascinating find OP, thank you for sharing. S & F!

And leave it to the resentful designated driver to ruin the party for everybody else. Man, if you don't think anything in astronomical research is ever authentic, rain on your own cynic parade elsewhere, will you?

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

So you're saying they've actually counted to the exact proximity of how many stars are out there in all galaxies? I'm pretty sure they haven't even counted the stars in our own galaxy yet, just guesstimates.

All science consists of guesstimates. Science involves induction to generalize observations.

new topics

top topics

join