It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin Coma Diameter Exceeds 200,000 km says Leonid Elenin

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Initially my thoughts were here we go again.....but it Does appear different.As if it is illuminated more less all around the outside.
My question....could the difference in appearance be because some sort of filter is being used?elenin images all have odd colors..the comet it's being compared to does not have the striking colors. Is this due to the use of a filter to make them appear more dissimilar?
edit on 22-8-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

Well I can't answer you there, but it is an interesting comet and I am waiting patiently for sept-nov. No doubt it will be a dud, but I am one of those that keeps an open mind until the end.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wutz4tom

Initially my thoughts were here we go again.....but it Does appear different.As if it is illuminated more less all around the outside.
My question....could the difference in appearance be because some sort of filter is being used?elenin images all have odd colors..the comet it's being compared to does not have the striking colors. Is this due to the use of a filter to make them appear more dissimilar?
edit on 22-8-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

There's lots of things our eyes don't see that telescopes in space open our eyes to with all the different wave lengths it can show. The universe is even more colorful, powerful and spectacular when you see all its components. I think filters (some people ive seen have used them just to make it bigger or different from most images we've seen) and also the fact its coming closer to the sun could be the reason its "growing" (coma that is).

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by today
www.youtube.com...=20

thats for starters but youtube is discredited.... am now trauling thru pages of 50's and 60's front covers to get the copy.... its going to be a long day... but If it is on line I will get it... for no other reason than to show you . I cant make you believe the truth but I can try and show you my word is good at least.....

OK, I just watched the video. He doesn't say which science magazine, but he said 1961.

I watched a different video a while ago, about the "red devil planet", it's the same thing that he's talking about. In that video, he said that it was 50 years away, so they didn't worry about it so much. The other info is about the same, except that guy said caves high in the mountains were also safe - as long as you had on your lead helmet

I've been casually looking for the magazine too ( I don't really want to find it
:shk: ) I'd almost rather not know........
I have a hard time thinking a lead helmet would help any.

I found a link for looking through the Popular Science magazine's archives. I remember hearing that they've been reporting on this since the 1930's, so any article containing "planet" or whatever other search term can be found
www.popsci.com...
edit on 22-8-2011 by snowspirit because: added link

In these older issues, the planets they're finding could have been Pluto (1932), and the red planet mentioned might have just been Mars. I'm not finding anything like what the guy in the video is talking about.

I'd like to think Elenin will just be a nice light show.
edit on 22-8-2011 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

yeah, I agree..best to keep an open mind.
If things were not so darned screwed up maybe I could maybe just ignore it..But, it just doesnt seem wise to bury my head. Probably a dud..but time will tell.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

I doubt this will be a dud. By 'dud' I mean a non-event. My hope is that this comet is visible with the naked eye and is fairly large. Hopefully it will be a great opportunity to get students interested in astronomy again! I remember looking out my dorm window at Hale-Bopp.. it was spectacular.

But as far as some disaster coming from it... yeah, a dud it will be. I do admit, there are so many strange coincidences involved with this comet that it makes it difficult to ignore but I have yet to see anything aside from just that - coincidences.

This October I will be stargazing from the top of Haleakala crater in Hawaii so I am really excited about this comet! (I think it will be on the sun-facing side of Earth at that time though)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Don't hold your breath. It passed a lot closer to STEREO B than it will to Earth. It was less than spectacular, even with the very sensitive cameras.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Explanation
Rofl doomsday cultists at it again...

Laugh it up, little boy.

You'll be laughing all the way to your grave, where you'll be positing your opinion on whether on not you're truly dead to the worms..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DieBravely

Originally posted by Explanation
Rofl doomsday cultists at it again...

Laugh it up, little boy.

You'll be laughing all the way to your grave, where you'll be positing your opinion on whether on not you're truly dead to the worms..

Boring

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join