It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrible Development! Ridiculous Compromise yet again!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
Only 93% oppose??? OK, lets just ram it through anyway.
After we pass it then the American people can find out what's inside it.

----------------
Those knuckleheads in Washington DC need to STOP governing AGAINST the will
of the American people.

Your right
They should have made more people happier by removing any spending cuts and ram it through...then it wouldn't be 93%.

Its unsatisfactory from all sides because nobody got exactly what they wanted...the old expression, if all sides are unhappy, then its probably fair comes into play here.

You honestly think the people are dissatisfied because they all want the same exact thing? too hot, too cold, its a divided country, and frankly when both sides are screaming that it went too far the opposite way of them, then you did well.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Reduce foreign aide, use that money to start jobs here or help the sick/homeless/jobless Americans. Then start taxing imports at the same rate the producing country tax our exports. Bring our troops home, get our noses out of other countries business, reduce military spending.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

We're not "murdering" our kids, exaggerating doesn't help your argument.

As far as creditors being more a priority than military or SS recipients, what else do you expect? The military and SS recipients owe to those same creditors via the national debt.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Increasing the debt ceiling will only increase the suffering when REALITY hits. Some of you would like to think it is all about revenue that the government takes in. COMPLETELY FALSE.....it is all about government overspending, it is about expectations that the government will look after you.

Yes, get rid of many of the loop holes that companies like GE take advantage of so they don't pay any taxes, and start placing tariffs to prevent companies from moving production to other third world countries. Limit foreign aid, and bring the troops home from thousands of bases around the world.
edit on 1-8-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
Reduce foreign aide, use that money to start jobs here or help the sick/homeless/jobless Americans. Then start taxing imports at the same rate the producing country tax our exports. Bring our troops home, get our noses out of other countries business, reduce military spending.

I'm sorry but Israel is about to start bombing the hell out of Iran.
----------
Um.....what do we do about that?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by Eurisko2012

For good or bad, what politicians don't realize is that they are uniting the American people against a common enemy. THEM.

I see the Washington DC elitists as a bunch of addicts.
They are having a hard time going cold turkey on deficit spending.
----------
I think they should ALL head to the congressional prayer room.
It's right next to rotunda in the capitol building.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
All of this maddness makes me want to scream at the very top of my lungs and break down in tears.
I had an old bench glider in my backyard and this weekend I decided to retire it with a Luisville slugger!!
My wife heard the rucus and came out to investagate. She stood at the door to the back yard and didn't say a word. She just watched as I reduced a metal swing to a pile of twisted rubble. She knew why I was doing what I was doing. I work 80hour weeks just to live paycheck to paycheck. This BS in Washington is just so dis-heartining and frustrating. It makes me want to take a week off of work just to go up there and watch the last breath they take as my hands clinch around their lieing little necks. *sigh* The best thing I can think to do is keep my nose to the grindstone and do my best to support my family.

God bless America and God damn the ones destroying it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I hope it fails or someone fillibusters it. You mention we need to pay interest to the holder of US Treasury bonds. And who holds over 1 TRILLION dollars of these? Why the FEDERAL RESERVE!!!!!!!

So, we're paying interest on OUR OWN FREAKING MONEY. It is a DEBT UNTO OURSELVES that we need not be paying. WE'RE ONLY PAYING THIS TO ENSURE THAT THE FED WILL CONTINUE TO PUMP OUT MORE MONEY DEVAULUING OUR DOLLAR FURTHER!!!!!

Sorry for the caps but I am SICK of this fool's game that Washington has become. I HATE the FAKE smiles and thumbs up from these greedy bastards who could really care less because they and their ilk are taken care of FOR LIFE. Hell, you can be a sexual deviant congressman, get kicked out and still walk away a millionaire. Would that happen anyhwere else? NO!

I found Ron Paul back in 2007 and was impressed that someone in Congress actually thought and voted their conscious. I became a fan immedately. And he is the ONLY one who makes sense. The guy has more fiscal knowledge than just about EVERY congressman/woman and Senator combined. Yet he is made out to be a gadfly.

This has got to stop. I get physically ill when I see these baffoons parade around like they just solved world hunger. THEY PUNTED ONCE AGAIN!!!!!

Why of why can't anyone in Congress grow some nads and actually take an axe to the budget?

I'm so damn
I can't stand it.

P.S. I wonder what good ol WEB BOT has to say about this!
edit on 1-8-2011 by Freenrgy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'm turning 20 at the end of this year.. I wonder what I should do?

Perhaps I should leave before I'm unable to. I'm getting rather fed up with politicians that don't seem to understand anything about their jobs.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I am not opposed to restructuring the taxes. Read any of my previous posts on the issue. I think we needed the most extreme version of both plans. We need very deep spending cuts, and we need to let the tax credits and loopholes expire.

I'll even go a step further and say we need to start over from scratch with the tax code! It needs to be re-written in simpler terms, with an almost flat tax. We need to incentivize paying taxes, by making it simpler, and less expensive so that corporations can bring their off-shore money back to the states, and the wealthiest people can pay their taxes instead of paying armies of attorneys to avoid their taxes. I watched an interview with the CEO of Pepsi, and she said almost exactly the same thing. She would prefer to bring more dollars inside the US, and pay a fair share of taxes, instead of paying to keep the money overseas and avoid the taxes.

I also think they should remove the upper limit on SS tax contributions. I also think they should repeal all Inheritance and Gift taxes, and restructure Capital Gains to be more simple and less expensive, and thus incentivizing paying those taxes instead of sheltering them.

There are solutions to all of these problems, but these toothless compromises are not the solution, not even close!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
All of this maddness makes me want to scream at the very top of my lungs and break down in tears.
I had an old bench glider in my backyard and this weekend I decided to retire it with a Luisville slugger!!
My wife heard the rucus and came out to investagate. She stood at the door to the back yard and didn't say a word. She just watched as I reduced a metal swing to a pile of twisted rubble. She knew why I was doing what I was doing. I work 80hour weeks just to live paycheck to paycheck. This BS in Washington is just so dis-heartining and frustrating. It makes me want to take a week off of work just to go up there and watch the last breath they take as my hands clinch around their lieing little necks. *sigh* The best thing I can think to do is keep my nose to the grindstone and do my best to support my family.

Hang in there. It's not over until it's over.
------------
We have the Tea Party on our side.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What happened to Al-Qaeda? You know the ones who wear turbans and swing on the monkey bars? Maybe Janet Napolitano is right.

www.zadanews.com...

The real terrorist are the ones that are white and look American, and guess all you need to do is switch on the TV and see them in Congress.

edit on 1-8-2011 by Stargate2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
i was watching the news about this a few minutes ago and taxes are going to be a big part of that trash they "compromised" on.

if i understood right they will be raising taxes but with the caviat they will be raising them well beyond the bush tax cuts.

some of you will go great!!! not so fast they get to do it how ever often and how much they want.

think a part of that was a someone outside congress makes the call and presents it to congress.

i'd like confirmation of that story if anyone heard the same.

one thing i know for sure is that trash is not good for america.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid are going to balloon because of all the boomers entering retirement and because our healthcare system is so incredibly broken and costs are totally un-restrained. Also, when the economy is in the tank, more people need the assistance of Medicare and Medicaid, as well as enter retirement - thereby increasing the demands on the system. That's why they're increasing - not because the Great Satan Obama wants to throw money at them.

Unless you simply want to cap spending on these programs. Do you?

Are you willing to say "Once you've had $X in government assistance, we cut you off?" If so, you're someone I don't want to know as that would equate into thousands of people dying due to starvation, illness and exposure. These programs are there because we as Americans have pledged to help those in-need, when they need it. The choice is to either help them or kill them. It's that simple. If we elect to help them, then we must address the COST side of the problem, not the BENEFICIARY side.

The COST side is the third-rail as that would involve comprehensive health-care reform and measures to control costs - including pissing off the pharmaceutical companies as well as the health-care conglomerates. Since the majority of the bigwigs in D.C. get fat checks from them, that's unlikely to happen, so the argument gets shifted away from the costs being charged, to the programs doing the charging.

Notice, also, the complete lack of attaching a human-face to these expendetures. Don't think for a second that this isn't intentional....

Look at defense spending for the wars started under GWB. Look at the costs associated with the drug-plan, also a gift from GWB - and completely unfunded. Then the tax-rates for the uber wealthy were cut (GWB) and kept at historic lows. Same for corporate tax rates (GWB). So now we've got the wealthiest people keeping a disproportionately higher percentage of their income and corporations skating out of taxes, but you and I are struggling on the vine...

And you're happy about the idiots in D.C. cutting spending without increasing revenues??!?!?! Trickle-down economics has been the policy of the government since Reagan and now the chicken's are coming home to roost. It's all a big lie and a total failure, unless you're in the top 5%.

The Tea Party has effectively changed the way politics are done here - and it's for the worse. They've eliminated "compromise" from the equation. To say otherwise is to demonstrate your ignorance.

Originally posted by getreadyalready

We need to incentivize paying taxes, by making it simpler, and less expensive so that corporations can bring their off-shore money back to the states, and the wealthiest people can pay their taxes instead of paying armies of attorneys to avoid their taxes. I watched an interview with the CEO of Pepsi, and she said almost exactly the same thing. She would prefer to bring more dollars inside the US, and pay a fair share of taxes, instead of paying to keep the money overseas and avoid the taxes.

You honestly think that the reason the wealthy don't pay their taxes is because they don't want to deal with the "army of attorneys"? That corporations will bring back their "off-shore money" if we make it easier?

There's a little thing called greed - and it's quite rampant among the corporations and people in-general. It states that if they have the slightest chance to keep more of their money, they will. Period. Making it "easier" to pay taxes isn't going to do a damn thing.

The REAL fixes to the problem include a careful but strategic revision of the tax codes to scale as intended, and add teeth to the enforcement. Close the loopholes. Get out of the wars. FIX HEALTHCARE - and that may include direct government-backed alternatives in specific healthcare markets.
edit on 8/1/2011 by atlguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by Talltexxxan

Hang in there. It's not over until it's over.
------------
We have the Tea Party on our side.

Thanks~
Im trying to hang in there, its just sometimes the frustration gets the best of me. And whats even more frustrating is preparing for the coming calamity, while some of your friends just scoff at you and say why dont you just come inside and watch (insert sh**ty tv show). *sigh* I just wish all my hard work, in life, would have gotten me to where I want to be. But no, I have to worry about how these 'F' ing jack@sses in washington are going to destroy the country, that I love ,right under my feet.

May satan have a special place in the depths of hell for these people.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

the greed and lust for power and control of government wins hands down over any corporation.

is my opinion the us federal government from which there is no repprieve

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

We're not "murdering" our kids, exaggerating doesn't help your argument.

As far as creditors being more a priority than military or SS recipients, what else do you expect? The military and SS recipients owe to those same creditors via the national debt.

"Murdering" their future, not the kids. And yes, we certainly are. We are willfully, and intentionally mortgaging their futures to buy us some temporary comforts and reprieve from our own spending habits. It is the definition of 1st Degree Murder against their financial futures.

The majority of the National Debt is between the Treasury and the Fed. The interest we are paying to the Fed falls right back into the Treasury after some Administrative Cost. So, is it really feasible to not pay SS, and instead transfer money back and forth on paper and take a little bite out each time it transfers, while real people are going hungry? I don't think so!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I am not opposed to restructuring the taxes. Read any of my previous posts on the issue. I think we needed the most extreme version of both plans. We need very deep spending cuts, and we need to let the tax credits and loopholes expire.

I'll even go a step further and say we need to start over from scratch with the tax code! It needs to be re-written in simpler terms, with an almost flat tax. We need to incentivize paying taxes, by making it simpler, and less expensive so that corporations can bring their off-shore money back to the states, and the wealthiest people can pay their taxes instead of paying armies of attorneys to avoid their taxes. I watched an interview with the CEO of Pepsi, and she said almost exactly the same thing. She would prefer to bring more dollars inside the US, and pay a fair share of taxes, instead of paying to keep the money overseas and avoid the taxes.

I also think they should remove the upper limit on SS tax contributions. I also think they should repeal all Inheritance and Gift taxes, and restructure Capital Gains to be more simple and less expensive, and thus incentivizing paying those taxes instead of sheltering them.

There are solutions to all of these problems, but these toothless compromises are not the solution, not even close!

Then you and I are on the same page.
Except the flat tax won't work...someone making a million a year can still live very happy pulling home $600,000. Someone making 30k a year will be massively struggling already, much less if you took away 40%, or evern 14%.

Consumers make the jobs, remove the spending power of consumers and you will rapidly lose jerbz as companys shrink due to less demand.
The lower and middle class spend all their money like its on fire, that is the meat and potatos of company profits...flat taxes reduces significantly their spending power.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by atlguy

the greed and lust for power and control of government wins hands down over any corporation.

At the moment, the difference is trivial

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Hi, We've been in forums together before so when I came looking for a discription of this deal & saw your thread I figured I would find it here. I'm over at A CALL TO IMPEACH. Thus far I've only heard the link you posted from MSNBC. I'm feeling the need to put on boots because it is getting darn deep in here. Thanks for this thread. We, as good Americans have got to stay on top of this mess. As has been mentioned many times, it is our duty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join