It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

looking for a test pilot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This young aviator has built a plane in his garage from bits of scrap he has collected.
After watching this video i thought ok good on him for doing something constructive instead of running the streets robbing old ladies,At first glance of his flying machine it doesnt look that airworthy and with a couple of , what looks like whipper snipper motors with some R/C props he will need to go home to Ethiopia for a crash diet if he has any chance of becoming airborne.

Any thoughts on his chances of liftoff or will he crash and burn?
www.abc.net.au...

edit on 1-8-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Hard to tell from the video but the aerodynamics look ok but i'm not sure he has the power for the weight. Just hard to tell without seeing it in person. I'm assuming he did the mathematical work to figure out how much thrust he needs for the lift and if he didn't he must be willing to crash alot.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Former USAF aircrew here.

There's a lot of engineering that goes into getting aircraft to fly efficiently so I have doubts.

Hard to say without a better look at wing design and the power of the engine.

I would say if the craft had an abundance of power, it APPEARS as if this rudimentary craft could achieve lift but not for long. It would be very stupid to try to fly it if for no other reason than the fact that there are no control surfaces evident (ailerons and the like).

All that said, that's one cool kid.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Cool, makes me think of that Chinese guy who built his own air-plane from scratch.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Well I can fly, so I'd be more than happy to give it a shot if I could (provided I was wrapped in bubbewrap).

A remote controlling system would be a good way to test its viability. Perhaps he should involve other people on this project. Wish I was still in Australia, I'd love to work on something like this.

join