It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I've worked out how to get stars on ATS.
First of make sure you have an arresting headline. ATS'ers may hate the MSM but they're not averse to pinching any of their tools of the trade should it forward an agenda.
If it stars you are seeking then stay away from any forum that requires any modicum of a reasonable theory or evidence or reasoned opinion.
What you need to do is just put up a thread stating that Obama is the best/worst or the Democrats/Republicans are the best/worst and people will simply star it because of their political leanings rather than these threads contributing to any meaningful non-partisan dialogue when both sides on here seem to agree the country is in deep doo-doo. There was one thread and I think it was one of Misoir's where it was stated that not all tax cuts are the way forward nor are all benefit cuts the way forward.
However in the star chase all you have to do is state a Democrat/Republican stance and your own supporters will rush in and star no matter the logic or lack of it the research or lack of it. Their side wins and that's all that matters the fiscal and social consequence are ignored to the loss of the nation as a whole.
The sad thing is this diatribe before dialogue seems to me to be played out not only on ATS but in the nation itself and it would seem you are tearing yourselves apart when outside of the original revolution you've never needed so much to work together.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Coming on ATS is not about stars nor flags...it's about learning.

You mention that all the Democrats and Republicans will rush in, in threads that have already been done numerous times...and yes they will. But that's wrong. Here's just another thread with bashing, pointless arguments and a lot of trolling.

Not that I'm saying that people shouldn't do threads that have been done. If you've got a new look to it...go for it. Controversial threads that make the headlines...go for it but please remember, I rather be reading thought out opinions and not people bashing each other.

You decide.
Do you actually want to gain read and possibly gain some knowledge, a new outlook on subject or do you want to see a lot of clutter, a lot of trolls and a lot of rubbish?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

If you read the last sentence of my thread it's not about bashing and I've got the tone wrong if that's how it's come accross. It was in actual fact a heartfelt plea for some rationality as I feel for America and believe in it's Constitution and Bill of Rights, so the first part of the piece was meant in a satirical rather than a 'bashing' as such.
About myself. My lounge for the last 20 yrs has had an American flag decorating the wall. The day after 9/11 it hung on the front wall of my house and I'm from the UK, Yorkshire in fact just like Tom Paine.
Sorry if I got the piece wrong but it was thought out I was just attempting to bash two naughty kids heads together without the overly sentimental patriotic fervour that can sometimes bog down what one is trying to say.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Dude I'm so looking forward to getting my first 1.000 stars.

Then I'll have Skeptic Overlord pay them all out at once and I'll live a life in luxury and awe.

Thanks for the tips on how to reach my goal quicker !

Seriously, how does "having stars" affect your existence in any way ? I don't get it.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

I put it in General Chit Chat precisely not to be a troll, should I have been trolling I would have put it in politics or similar. I know it isn't about stars and flags I wrote it as a set up for the emotions and to make a plea to Americans for a tad of non-partisanship, so in that sense it was very considered. You obviously failed to engage once you decided it was a troll. I used to watch tv and it is a device American tv uses quite oft and that was the audience aimed at and I see you're from the UK so perhaps this is another reason you missed the point. Or as I say I might have failed in what I was trying to do.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

I've just replied to another poster in that the S&F bit was a bit ingenuous it was in fact a disguised plea for our American cousins to get their act together but i didn't want to get too sentimental because I think a lot of them. Not as well done as I would have hoped judging from the replies but i disguised the emotional ending with a little dig to begin with. Ooooops, got it wrong

edit***They have no effect it was a device.
edit on 30/7/11 by goldentorch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

An old thread will give you more ideas on how to receive stars.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good luck

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller

An old thread will give you more ideas on how to receive stars.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good luck

Once again it wasn't about the stars it was a device to make a plea to America to stop tearing itself apart. Soon as people have seen the stars part they seem to have stopped reading, it was what I suppose one could call a semi-metaphor for America's present decline into factionalism a point everybody seems to be missing.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm using the ATS reward system as a metaphor, please consider that if you're going to make any reply.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The last time I cared about receiving a star I was in year one! 28 years ago

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WideAwakeNow

All still missing the point.
2nd Amendment

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You know by now that you're wrong, since ironically you got only one star.

Since thats a bad result taking your own theory into account, I would get back to the drawing board...

But... failure is a process of geniality!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

You know by now that you're wrong, since ironically you got only one star.

Since thats a bad result taking your own theory into account, I would get back to the drawing board...

But... failure is a process of geniality!

Since there's no actual right or wrong in an opinion piece I fail to see you're point on that basis. Also since I am using S&F as a metaphor for the partisanship in American politics, which taken to such extremes I find self destructive, and as I have taken neither side and gained no stars it rather ironically makes my point. None of you can see beyond the device to see into what I have attempted to put forward.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Oh no..it wasn't aimed to you! It was aimed at everyone to read

Sorry if it seemed that way!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ooops.
Sorry that shuts me up and means I'll have to go back to your post with a whole new outlookl

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wait....

We've got stars here? NOBODY EVER TELLS ME ANYTHING! :p

new topics

top topics

join