It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 53
<< 50  51  52   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annagramma

He's a national treasure -great author!

Found this book to be very good as well (non fiction).

Nathaniel's Nutmeg:

www.amazon.com...

Also this one by Stephen Pressfield is bloody marvellous:

www.goodreads.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I am reading Arch of Triumph ( I must confess it's one of the best books I have ever read) and I am going to write my college essay using this book and some help of paidpaper.net as a best custom writing reviews. I checked some reviews before and I suppose it would be good additional for my work
edit on 10-6-2019 by mariopepper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Too busy writing to read... lol.

I recently got a kindle and downloaded a bunch of free apocalypse stories, hoping it might help me as I work on mine, but haven't had the time to really delve into them yet. Plus being a writer has made me more cynical about other people's books...

Anyone have any decent suggestions for deeply character-driven apocalypse stories?

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: XxKonspiracyxX

The Road by Cormac McCarthy is a good one.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I am reading this:

I'm working my way through the series.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I'm rereading 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson and I highly recommend it SkidMark

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Finally got my copy of 'A Little Hatred' by Joe Abercrombie. Haven't gotten far yet but I can already tell that he's yet again created superbly interesting characters, as always. It strikes me how masterful he is at this, in that previous legendary characters which you would really want to come back, are rivaled by his new creations. He doesn't totally sideline the old, but rather keeps them in mind in a respectful, or at least proper, way. I already have a perspective of how heroes of old are looked upon by the younger generations, which totally reflects the real world, and how skewed this view really is. It's a good reminder of how forgetful we are as a species, and that we single out what we want to remember, both consciously and sub-consciously.

I usually find that when authors manage to "strike gold" by creating popular characters, they usually keep them going and going over several books or series. This can tend to water them down. Not the case with old Joe.

For anyone who likes top notch quality grimdark fantasy, this is your man. It's not on the level of Game of Thrones in terms of extremely detailed and complex family lines, together with their squabbles, but he makes up for it in many other ways. Blood, gore and sex play an intricate part, but all of them have a ring of humor to them. Those parts also make sense to the relative characters and storyline. In other words, they're not just filler.

You can jump right into A Little Hatred (part one of his new trilogy) without having read his previous installments, but I highly recommend you read from the start as you'll appreciate how talented this man is in weaving things together in unforgettable ways. I'll list them just for reference:

The First Law trilogy:
- The Blade Itself
- Before They Are Hanged
- Last Argument of Kings

- Best Served Cold
- The Heroes
- Red Country

- Sharp Ends (an anthology of short stories from within this world)

The Age of Madness trilogy:
- A Little Hatred
- The Trouble With Peace (coming in 2020)
- The Beautiful Machine (coming in 2021)

edit on 13 10 2019 by Skeletonized because: (no reason given)

edit on 13 10 2019 by Skeletonized because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

It's a good series for sure. Salvatore has a knack for writing cool battle scenes. I wonder how many times the heroes have escaped by only a whisker.

I actually bought the new hardcover versions of the whole series since they looked better than the old ones. I think I've read about 31 books, which still leaves me with 4 books I believe.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Skeletonized

Yes he's very good. I'm on 19 The Two Swords right now. He included a neat little D&D adventure at the end of one that I want to play. I heard he also wrote Star Wars books.

posted on Oct, 13 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I'm reading Desperation By Stephen King.

posted on Jan, 26 2021 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Currently reading a handful of books simultaneously.

The Theory of Knowledge by H. Prichard
The Aeon of Horus by A. Crowley
Transcendental Magic by E. Levi
The Dhammapada by M. Muller

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52   >>

join