It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
PUPPETS IN THE NIGHT by Dale Musser (Jul 24, 2013) Just finished this.
Working on Solomons gold by Neal Stephenson.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Currently, I'm reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert and I am reading it in French, goddammit.

I have been trying to get it read in French for some time now but I have had to start over and over again. My French is "touristique". Plopped down in a French environment, I can navigate to the "toilette" but little further.

I have hitch-hiked around France but the drivers did most of the talking.

I do most of my reading in Toronto's largest reading room, the Toronto transit system. With Bovary, the biggest problem is handling book and dictionary on the bus/subway journey to and from work. This is why I have been stymied so far, trying to get through the book.

But things are going to be different. I have a new system. I'm bringing little business card sized flashcards upon which I write words I don't know for later "lookup" in the dictionary. Then I carry and go over the flashcards when I'm not reading so I can finally operate with a coherent plan that should carry me through to the end.

I'm really looking forward to getting into the book because on previous attempts, I did get far enough to savour the writing, which is excellent.

It will be a long time before books are obsolete. Aside from pillow talk, they are the most intimate form of communication.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The Iron Lady: Margaret Thatcher, from Grocer's Daughter to Prime Minister by John Campbell. I'm a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher and I would like to learn more about her and her life. I also own numerous books about her or by her as an author.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm reading an ebook called "Creed of Assiah" by leon_the_14.
It is an autobiography of sorts about a guy who got involved in Satanism as a teenager, left it and returned to it a few years later because he didn't understand Christianity. I haven't read it all but from what I make out he finally did leave it and started practicing kabbala. Seems to be a genuine tell all, I got it as a free download (pdf) at freebookspot.es.
I don't think it is a BS tale.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by clarissa67

It looks like you linked this book before on ATS. Are you the author of the book?
No, I'm not a spy. Just curious.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
my bills

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

No I'm not the author. I first came across it on the authonomy website some time ago, the download formats I came across only two weeks ago when the authonomy site had a reference to the creedofassiah.webs.com site.
My interest in it because the story is in Sydney which is where I live.
I relate to it because it names places, times etc. which do seem quite relevent.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
1984 by George Orwell .... slow starting book... but around they halfway point it's picked up.

Next is to finish off another Odd Thomas book by Dean Koontz

edit on 12-8-2013 by Pont52 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The Name of the Wind

I don't normally read fantasy stuff, although I love watching it, but this book, so far, has been stellar.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I've just started reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Re-reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card because I couldn't find a local copy of The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
The Name of the Wind

I don't normally read fantasy stuff, although I love watching it, but this book, so far, has been stellar.

I agree, this book was great!

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Carpathian by David Lynn Goleman
--
Great book and I believe book 8 in the "Event Group" thrillers, think of X-files meets Tom Clancy.
Great book, a lot of compelling action, the material is great and easy to envision as the book continues along.
A Highly secretive group, members of the event group range from top scientist to highly trained military members as their mandate in the Event Group is to uncover the mysteries of the world and decode the message and meanings so that the fate of the US would not make the same mistakes as previous civilizations, which resulted in their downfall. Everything from Aliens, bigfoot, swamp creatures and much more mixed with highly trained unites like the 82 airborne, US Seals, the Sayeret, spetsnez an other specialized forces, clash on the race to discover the truths of the world, lead by colonel Jack Collins, possibly THE most dangerous man in the world, who never even paid attention too or believe in such things finds himself in the middle of an underground war on ancient atlantis temples, hidden underground abandoned ancient alien cities and forgotten ancient human structures on the moon, Colonel jack Collins maintains his wit and fights along side other specialized personnel from all branch of the arm forces. A true must read.

Storm Surge by Taylor Anderson
--
Awesome book and another series which I believe is book 8 in the "DestroyerMen" series, think WW2 meets Avatar (them cats) an Jurassic Park.
Very awesome story as an old WW1 4 stacker is finding itself marooned in a dangerous alternate earth where smart raptors called "Grik" are fighting and eating cat like being called "Lemurians". The Americans in the old and outdated destroyer find themselves to be the only humans on this strange earth and posses the most advance weapons platform this earth has ever seen, USS Walker (DD--163) Wickes class. The story revolves around the captain as he see's the atrocities and decides to help out the Lemurians, teaching them war tactics, advance ship building and kinetic weapons like old thompsons, BUT! all is not safe as an enemy from the old world finds itself in this very strange world, the Japanese Battleship, Amagi has come and has sided with the Grik, teaching them war and tools as such.

Silentium by Greg Bear
--
Book 3 of the Forerunner/human saga, the finale of the saga which entails a dark history of the forerunners who perpetrated a terrible and dark atrocity that resulted in the destruction of the ancient Precursors themselves, coupled with the genetic destruction of ancient man, who at the time were advance space faring beings, capable of many feats and were at war with the forerunners until their destruction at the hands of the didact.
The Forerunners now have met their match as they race against time to stop the horrible sickness known as, "The Flood", a sentient mass of organic sickness, capable of penetrating all matter, organic and digital and twist it to their liking, from people to ships, it has no bounds.
The story follows, "Bornstellar" as he fights his way to stop the didact from using destructive pieces of machines, the Halo's, as large as planets and capable of destroyer all life in the galaxy.
"Spoiler"
the Halo arrays put out a specific radiation that destroyed "Precursor" structures, the very structures that could withstand time itself, standing erect for millions of years only to be gone in a flash by the halo arrays, erasing all traces of this highly advance god like beings, current gen humanity knows of the forerunner and barely finding about their true heritage and place in the universe as information about ancient Humans comes to light, but they have yet to know about the Precursors....and AVENGE THEM.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm reading Hostage to Murder by Val McDermid.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Brainwash: The Secret History of Mind Control

With access to formerly classified documentation and interviews from the CIA, the U.S. Army, MI5, MI6, and the British Intelligence Corps, acclaimed journalist Dominic Streatfeild traces the history of the world's most secret psychological procedure. From the cold war to the height of today's war on terror, groups as dissimilar as armies, religious cults, and advertising agencies have been accused of brainwashing. But what does this mean? Is it possible to erase memories or to implant them artificially? Do heavy-metal records contain subliminal messages? Do religious cults brainwash recruits? What were the CIA and MI6 doing with '___' in the 1950s? How far have the world's militaries really gone?

Depression and The Body

Here is an eminent psychiatrist's revolutionary plan for conquering depression. The depressed person, says Dr. Alexander Lowen, is out of touch with reality-and especially with his own body. This pioneering book shows how we can overcome depression by activating dormant life forces and by training mind and body to respond as keenly as a finely tuned instrument responds to a virtuoso. Drawing on his vast experience with depressed patients, Dr. Lowen advocates a return to the body-a reestablishment of communications with our one instrument of self-expression. He goes on to outline a series of simple but remarkably effective exercises that can reawaken the depressed person to his own inherent energies and teach him how to express his love, his independence, his uniqueness, and his essential reality.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'm reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I am reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I am currently reading:

"The Rise and Fall of the Nephilim"

By: Scott Alan Roberts

Quote from first page of the book: "The untold story of fallen angels, giants of the earth, and their extraterrestrial origins."

Right now I am on page 120. The writer delves into biblical writings. factual history and mythology.

It is a good read; I recommend it.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Shift

It's the second series of books out of 3 series that focus on some future world where people live in underground silos thanks to toxic air.

the first series, Wool, was great. Second series is, thus far, up to par.

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises", Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Moses from an Old Manse" and Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf".

Take my advice, never start reading multiple books at the same time.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join