It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Maize/Corn Fields

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Humble, powerless Poland surprised the world too, with Solidarity, inspiring me and so many others.

Defeated communism and mighty Russia with a bunch of hand-holding. Literally!

www.gdansk-life.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
as long as they don't screw with the hungarian pepper crop it's all good. we use only hungarian paprika for our cooking and I simply couldn't eat paprikash or stuffed peppers without it

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

The reality, though, is that more and more evidence is showing that small-ish, regionally appropriate farms growing regionally appropriate foods will
feed us all in the future (if we are to be fed), not massive monoculture agri-factories that are increasingly unsustainable, requiring massive energy
inputs in the form of fossil fuels.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I hope I am), but couldn't GMO crops be sold at the local farmer's market as well? I remember when I was first reading about Monsanto a while back, that the GMO crops could be anywhere since they spread so easily and are mainly what is available as far as seeds.

I ask because we just moved out of the city, to a much more rural city (and state really). While I was initially excited for all the unaltered fresh produce we could buy, I then remembered what I had read and now I'm still hesitant to even buy from a farmers' market, although it seems wayyyy less likely to be GMO than Wally World produce.

edit on 16-7-2011 by MissE because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2011 by MissE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I still learn english sorry for my simple language.

Hello guys. Im from Hungary. Its good to see news from here reach the world and forums like this. But i have to disappoint you.

We are part of the EU and there are consequent steps to destroy our agriculture. So yes. Right now we banned GMO products, but the truth is we wont produce much organic foods either.

We have a very good geological location, sorrounded by high mountains like the Alps and Carpathians which protect us from extreme weather. We have 4 very separete seasons and we are rich in good quality waters, not only on the surface but this region is incredibly rich in geothermal waters too.

But i could tell for hours what happened here since we allowed international money to enter our country (1991). We were the "food table of europe" ( Hungarian historical term i cant translate exactly ) for centuries but now we have to import everything. For example we ate cherry and grape from Chile ( exactly the opposite side of the globe ) while our farmers are paid to destroy and sell their fields.

We had a great sugar producing industry with 12 factories 20 years ago. Since we are in the EU we have only 1. Big european sugar industry groups bought everything to "increase their productivity and bring new technology here", but they lied and they let the factories to go bankrupt.

We produced 650.000 Tonns of sugar in 1991. Last year it was 105.000 Tonns. We arent allowed to produce more because the EU has regulations and standards. Its very stupid that half of the globe is starving and we have to pay fines to the EU if we produce more food.
And those regulations..
They had a EU standard about the curve of the cucumber. It took them 20 years to realize this BS.

Read this

And another one big problem:

Monsanto got a big boost in Europe yesterday when an official ruled that the European Union’s constituent countries couldn’t independently ban genetically modified crops (GMOs) on their turf. Source: Red Green & Blue (s.tt...)

Link to this article

Maybe we won a battle but we lost the war years ago. And i havent said anything about our corrupt politicians yet.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Bump. This is important & I would like to know more.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
People = +2

Monsanto = 0

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by solsticks
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Of course not. I said I hate Monsanto. I'm just pointing out (please don't say 'shame on you'...I'm a farmer and we HATE THEIR PATENTS) how easy it is to lose sight of what is going on (the good of gmo crops being gone) in the grande scheme of things (private property, i.e., the Hungarian farmers). I'm not saying what they did was RIGHT...I'm just saying that it is ironic that on ATS, of all places, people are cheering for government control of private crops...seems strange to me. Do you understand?

There are a lot of pro collectivist types here I've noticed, and many who have a hatred of capitalists.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Maybe people will start burning the crops here in the US.

I can see it now, driving through the midwest with acres upon acres up in flames.

Except, the mid west is flooded. farmers have lost their land, except the ones who are lucky enough to have the government come in and buy them out

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Well I was born in Hungary and actually been a farmer. We were growing cucumbers, tomato, and some neighbours paprika. The sad thing is that the return is very small if any. Most of the vegetables were imported from Spain and other countries at a much lower price so price/kg went down over time. Recently people had to throw their cucumbers because of the e.coli event over Europe but guess what the government covered their losses.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by belsoember

I fear that your concerns may prove true.

Not for my 'nation' or your 'nation' in particular, but every nation.

When it comes to artificially genetically modifying organisms and then releasing them into the environment, I would have to say it sounds like a very short-sighted and risky proposal. This is just common sense.

Maybe if we had contained this technology better and tested it in 'controlled conditions' for a few thousand years and actually prove it is relatively safe, than perhaps we may take their sales pitch more seriously.

But with Monsanto you can't just say no. They are going to take this to court and win in the long haul, like usual, since they can buy out the courts and all the best lawyers. And they will get their buddies in the other big corporations and nations to add pressure.

That actually turns out to be a very bad situation ecologically speaking. There is a veritable cornucopia of potential hazards and pitfalls foolishly toying with DNA manipulation and spraying weird chemicals everywhere can create for all of the rest of us lifeforms.

And here is the ultimate question of all, how can you tell the wind that we are banning a certain grain? The wind doesn't follow our silly human rules, it follows the laws of physics. And physics allows them to travel everywhere just about.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

I hate GMO full stop- market manipulation is not a very nice this to do.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
most of the arguments against Monsanto don't make very much sense - what does make sense is that like any other business should be held accountable for any claims and the government should weigh heavily the cost vs gain or more specifically the potential or real danger of these seeds and a single genetric string to the reality of not taking advantage of them.

The reality is GMO foods will take over someday with the increasing population it's a given - now whether they are through Monsantos current methods or through more advanced methods of manufacturing that may include more strains and either no or different anti bug measures is going to be the future choice.

Boy o boy, you really could benefit from an alternative education.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence
If a farmer unknowingly plants a GM crop and it is destroyed, he is out money, and even though it might not be pure, or if it is bad," the fact that crop that could be used to feed is now gone is equally troubling.

Reminds me of burning/destroying marijuana fields. Just because it is "illegal" the need to destroy or eradicate seems to be justified.

Don't you mean, "used to poison" rather than "used to feed"?
Also, please don't compare one of nature's most powerful healing plants with Monsanto's WMD.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by solsticks

I agree. I would also add that the government of Hungary's decision to destroy the food is foolish. They could have easily confiscated the crop and used it to feed people in need, be it in Hungary or one of the many starving countries in Africa, which is not so far away. GMO or otherwise, destroying food is just wrong when so many people are starving.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Ireland ,Japan & Egypt have also banned such gmo crops.

Ireland bans GMO crops

Iceland lawmakers have put forth a law that as of August of 2011 ,
all gmo contained in products must be clearly marked and indicated on all packages.

Iceland regulation on GMO labeling

I'm in full support of the destruction of gmo crops. Good to see more countries joining in!
edit on 16/7/2011 by Mystic Technician because: Edit to add

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Im not sure whether this has any relevance to the post or not but who is giving the hungarians big balls too say no to this crap,im pretty sure china bailed out hungary or said they would bail them out,the chinese top guy said that friend in need was a friend indeed ???? strange if you ask me

for hungary.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Hungarian government banned all kind of GMO, here is the link:

HUNGARY GMO BAN!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hungary destroys food? You can't make stuff like this up.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Jeeze go back up and really read the post from the hungarian (the one with the stars) The EU goverment has made it ILLEGAL to BAN GMO by member countries.
Monsanto bought out BLACKWATER.....now they have their own private army!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
By eating this stuff, and who hasn't, perhaps we are becoming, little by little, genetically-modified humans, and that is why the EU/UN is never going to let it go.

We seem to be their lab rats, and they are not about to let us escape, or have any real say in the experiment.

Hungary: Get out! India: Take that!

EU: Oh look, it's talking again.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join