It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungary Destroys All Monsanto GMO Maize/Corn Fields

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+98 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This is how a government should protect it's people.

Illegal GMO Seeded crops from both Monsanto and Pioneer has been found and were destroyed.

Bravo Hungary

Hungary destroys all Monsanto GMO maize fields

Some 400 hectares of maize found to have been grown with genetically modified seeds have been destroyed throughout Hungary deputy state secretary of the Ministry of Rural Development Lajos Bognar said.

The GMO maize has been ploughed under, said Lajos Bognar, but pollen has not spread from the maize, he added. Unlike several EU members, GMO seeds are banned in Hungary.

Controllers have found Pioneer and Monsanto products among the seeds planted. The free movement of goods within the EU means that authorities will not investigate how the seeds arrived in Hungary but they will check where the goods can be found, Bognar said.

2011 seems to not be a very good year for Monsanto:
Related ATS Thread Link
Monsanto official Beaten by farmers in India over Failed GMO Bt Cotton Seeds

Hungary destroys all Monsanto GMO maize fields

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Yay! Now all we need is those hackers to save the world by releasing emails, not. Good find

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hungary is going as far as attempting to make it a FELONY to distribute GMO Seeds. - See 2nd Article

Additional News articles. one from Budapest and one from China.

Think we will ever see a news article from the US or UK?

GM maize destroyed on 950 hectares in Hungary

MTI – Econews Thursday 11:20, July 14th, 2011

Genetically modified (GM) maize, which is banned in Hungary, has so far been destroyed on about 950 hectares, but a further 2,500 hectares have been affected by contaminated seeds and are under inspection by the authorities, Rural Development Minister Sandor Fazekas said in an interview broadcast on public television early Thursday

GM maize destroyed on 950 hectares in Hungary

Hungary to continue battle against GM seeds

Hungarian authorities is planning to make distribution of genetically modified (GM) seeds a felony, an agriculture official said here Thursday, in its latest attempt to secure a GM-free country.

In a press conference held Thursday in Budapest, Lajos Bognar, Hungary deputy state secretary responsible for keeping track of the food chain, said the government was planning to introduce an amendment to the Penal Code, making distribution of GMO-contaminated seed a felony offense.

VHungary to continue battle against GM seeds

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
YAH HUNGARY!!!
We should be doing that here in America, just burn it all and bring back all the heirloom seeds before biodiversity completely disappears!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Way to go Hungary! I don't care what the methods are as long as people continue to fight against them.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Celebrate good times, come on!

Monsanto is getting their comeuppance for their greedy, murderous behavior.

It's great to see people taking a stand against the Monster that is big business/government.

Power to the people!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The corporate shills and lobbyist are already making their rounds:

GMO maize damage may total billions, says expert

Ecologist and forensic expert Imre Lanszki insisted that Hungary will not be in a position to reject GMO in the future, and Hungarian seeds will be at a disadvantage, which may compromise the productivity of national farming.

GMO maize damage may total billions, says expert

The selling of fear from an "expert" using a pre-prepared corporate approved statement.

edit on 7/15/2011 by EyeHeartBigfoot because: fix link

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
YAH HUNGARY!!!
We should be doing that here in America, just burn it all and bring back all the heirloom seeds before biodiversity completely disappears!

Farmer's Heirloom seeds should be the main source while developing an honest GMO seed to only overcome poor soil and/or extreme climate then have EXTENSIVE testing not controlled by the GMO Seed developer and by multiple sources.

Thanks for bring up the most valid point.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
hooray !!the worm is starting to turn!!!

TPTB are starting to lose their toehold hope this starts a domino effect in many other countries!!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Um, hello, I hate Monsanto too, but...aren't any of you noticing (especially on ATS) the irony of you all cheering on a GOVERNMENT DESTROYING PRIVATE PROPERTY? I understand the seeds were illegal...but some of you have said 'this should happen in America'. That smacks of something very wrong to me...jus' sayin....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Maybe people will start burning the crops here in the US.

I can see it now, driving through the midwest with acres upon acres up in flames.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Go Anon! Go Hungary!

I am please that bloodless revolution is SAVING LIVES!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by solsticks
Um, hello, I hate Monsanto too, but...aren't any of you noticing (especially on ATS) the irony of you all cheering on a GOVERNMENT DESTROYING PRIVATE PROPERTY? I understand the seeds were illegal...but some of you have said 'this should happen in America'. That smacks of something very wrong to me...jus' sayin....

by saying private property, are you referring to Monsanto Food Patents?

SHAME on you!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Maybe people will start burning the crops here in the US.

I can see it now, driving through the midwest with acres upon acres up in flames.

Actually - spare the farmer... BURN MONSATO!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Good work Hungary. Everyone should take a leaf out of their book and burn these crops. Oh and good work to those Indian farmer who battered that Monsanto representative - I hope he never walks again.

And yes - Anonymous too

Crush the tyrants.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Of course not. I said I hate Monsanto. I'm just pointing out (please don't say 'shame on you'...I'm a farmer and we HATE THEIR PATENTS) how easy it is to lose sight of what is going on (the good of gmo crops being gone) in the grande scheme of things (private property, i.e., the Hungarian farmers). I'm not saying what they did was RIGHT...I'm just saying that it is ironic that on ATS, of all places, people are cheering for government control of private crops...seems strange to me. Do you understand?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

Yes, now you've got it. The farmer is not the enemy. Monsanto is. Private property is not the enemy...the trickster who snuck their seeds into the farmer's hands and lives is. Yes.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So, A Country named Hungary, rejects Monsanto foods first.

How ironic is THAT?

That'll look and read great in future history books.

If we have a future, and Monsanto doesn't write the books.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
most of the arguments against Monsanto don't make very much sense - what does make sense is that like any other business should be held accountable for any claims and the government should weigh heavily the cost vs gain or more specifically the potential or real danger of these seeds and a single genetric string to the reality of not taking advantage of them.

The reality is GMO foods will take over someday with the increasing population it's a given - now whether they are through Monsantos current methods or through more advanced methods of manufacturing that may include more strains and either no or different anti bug measures is going to be the future choice.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Local farmers complain that the use of GMO seeds has only been revealed now when it is too late to sow again and the entire year's harvest has been lost.

I do not support Monsanto nor am a proponent of GM food, but this is just ridiculous. True, the pollination could travel and breed with heirloom or pure stock, but destroying it is, in a way, foolish, unless it is A) only to prevent said cross-pollination or B) to eradicate crop grown strictly for seed, which we do not know.

If a farmer unknowingly plants a GM crop and it is destroyed, he is out money, and even though it might not be pure, or if it is bad," the fact that crop that could be used to feed is now gone is equally troubling.

If GM is banned, ensure pure seed is available or institute checks on the importation/buying of seed.

The eradication of a crop simply because the seed from which it comes is "oulawed" hurts the farmers and whoever would be potentially buying the food, ESPECIALLY is the food is needed (and do not quote hungry people refusing GM crop).

Let's burn down the building to kill the bugs.

Reminds me of burning/destroying marijuana fields. Just because it is "illegal" the need to destroy or eradicate seems to be justified.

Just another perspective. Unless, of course, the goal is to eradicate it by all means necessary, seed, crop, etc.

DESTROY!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join