It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50,000 Chickens, 4,300 Turkeys Killed In Heat Wave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A heat wave that has pushed temperatures well over 100 degrees has killed tens of thousands of turkeys and chickens in Kansas and North Carolina and left farmers across the lower part of the country struggling to cool off their flocks.

In North Carolina, about 50,000 chickens died at a farm after the power went off for less than an hour. In Kansas, one couple lost 4,300 turkeys that took 26 hours to bury.

When I saw this article, I thought it would be just a few, at most a couple hundred, but 50,000 ! Holy cow! I never would of thought it would of been that many.

Im guessing the 50,000 chickens were all tightly enclosed in one of those huge, barn type buildings. (The kind of Food Inc.) Owned by a big corporation.

Here's how hot it got in Kansas

Temperatures in Kansas on Sunday reached 110 degrees, with a heat index of 118. It was 106 in the buildings near Columbus where Capron and her husband raise 22,000 turkeys for Butterball LLC. She said they've been running big fans and fog nozzles in their poultry buildings, and they've had a tractor pulling a spray wagon to water down the birds. They lost 140 birds on Saturday, but nothing prepared them for Sunday, when 4,300 died.

And here's what they did with the turkeys

After receiving approval from state regulators, the Caprons, their workers and friends began digging a massive hole — 60 feet long, 40 feet wide and 10 feet deep — to bury the nearly 50-pound birds. They started at 11 p.m. Sunday, and the last turkey was buried 26 hours later. The crew worked around the clock. No one slept.

Here's more info on the chickens.

In North Carolina, the heat wave killed about 50,000 broiler chickens at a Johnston County farm when the power went out for about 45 minutes, said Gary Rhodes, a spokesman for Colorado-based Pilgrim's Pride Corp., which owned the chickens.

They said their chicken barn had a ventalation system and sprayed a mist over the birds, but .......you just have to keep your fingers crossed

"With the new ventilation systems in these houses, they can handle the heat pretty good," said Bob Ford, executive director of the North Carolina Poultry Federation. "Most everybody's converted their houses to that type of system, and you just have to keep your fingers crossed I guess."

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

After receiving approval from state regulators, the Caprons, their workers and friends began digging a massive hole — 60 feet long, 40 feet wide and 10 feet deep — to bury the nearly 50-pound birds.

Why can't birds that die of heat exhaustion be made into dog food?

Sri Oracle
edit on 12-7-2011 by Sri Oracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

I dont understand why they just buried them either. They didnt die from some disease, but from heat. Im guessing their meat would still be good?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I felt like I was gonna cook today. At least I have a new A/C unit.
Well, It's terrible to see anything go to waste, even a chicken sandwich.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Obviously disgraceful farming practices.
These bastards put money before animal welfare.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
It is unfortunate that these things happen – I raise a smallish flock of layers in addition to my dairy operation and I hate the large factory methods. My birds use the natural shade and breeze and access to water at their leisure. In the house I have several large fans that bring air in and out. I also put a mist device at the front of the house for them yesterday.

Chickens have a hard time regulating their body temperature but healthy birds with room to move freely can survive much easier.

Climate in poultry houses

Physical heat regulation

When temperatures are not within the comfort zone, birds have several mechanisms which enable them to keep their body temperature constant without having to produce extra heat. This is referred to as physical heat regulation. Factors influencing physical heat regulation include:

• Tissue insulation – if birds have a layer of subcutaneous fat, they can afford to let their skin temperature drop. Only if the animals are fed properly can they deposit a subcutaneous fat layer when temperatures decrease.

• Feathers – feathers have an insulating effect and decrease the amount of heat that is lost to the environment.

• Changing body position and huddling – birds can effectively regulate heat loss through its body position. Heat loss can be minimized by huddling close together. In hot weather, on the other hand, the birds increase their body surface as much as possible.

• Vaporisation of water – If temperatures are high or extremely high sensible heat loss is minimized and almost all heat will have to be lost as insensible (latent) heat, latent heat loss is the heat lost from the body through the elimination of respiratory moisture.

• Flow of blood through skin and mucous membranes – The flow of blood to the skin and mucous membranes can be controlled through the contraction and widening of blood vessels. The larger the flow of blood is, the more heat is lost.

Recommended temperatures for layers and broilers

The critical temperature for layers is 20oC. For every 1oC lower than 20oC, the birds require 1.5 g of feed per day extra. The most efficient temperature for layers is 20 – 24oC. When temperatures rise to above 24oC, shell quality and egg weight go down. For broilers and rearer birds the critical temperature depends very much on age.

edit on 12/7/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri OracleWhy can't birds that die of heat exhaustion be made into dog food?

Only animals that are both live and abulatory are allowed to be slaughtered for consumption regardless of the intended use. This is to make sure that the meat is not spoiled or the animal contaminated with disease. This applies for large and small animals.

Usualy chickens are not processed for dog food directly (some exceptions of course - usually older layers who have outlived thier prime.), usually they collect the scraps and mistakes in processing in the form of by-products for animal food.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Humans, we have it good with our air conditioners and fans.

Those poor birds cnnot handle the fowl weather weve been getting lately...

Forgot to add: I would suggest that chicken owners leave them home on trips. As with dogs, they suggest leaving all windowes open, even in mild heat. I wouldnt even risk taking a chicken to the food store to leave in the parking lot, even with ALL the windows down whilst I go inside.
edit on 12-7-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11 687

Cooped up in a building that lost air conditioning. I don't understand why they did not set them free, when it became evident that some were dying of heat exhaustion.They all did not die the same instant. I'm sure the number of deaths grew and grew as time went on.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
They died a terrible death, but probably lived a hellish life that went on and on and on.

I hope their souls find peace, and the angels have their arms wide with the most beautiful smile.

If we could only see, what we do, we would weep until , God healed our hearts.

Hell on Earth for Animals and Fowl and Fish and Humans ....may it end NOW

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Obviously disgraceful farming practices.
These bastards put money before animal welfare.

They don't call it a career for nothing.

new topics

top topics

join