It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOS: Need Help Deciding What Anonymous is All About

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I am relatively new to researching what's going on in the world... I've heard a bunch about Anonymous, but I still don't have a clear picture exactly who they are. I've watched some good videos, read a bunch of thread here but I fell like I need a bit more objective knowledge before I decide they are a terrorist group like some people claim, or leaders of a "free" world as others claim. All I am asking for is a little (rather unbiased) information about who they are, what's going on etc. I feel like I should learn quickly because (if I'm correct) something big is going to happen tommorow, and I want to have a valid perspective on what's going on

Thank you, I look forward on being educated!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
In my personal opinion, they're just attention whores who talk about making changes that never actually happen.

But then again, I could be wrong. I have been, once or twice..

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Reminds me of Wikileaks.

Are they for us? Or against us?

Some claim they and Anonymous are the new revolution, just beginning their crusade against inequality and government abuse.

Others claim they are dis-info agents intended to muddy the waters.

Both sides make good points. Therefore, the best I can tell you is that I am equally confused.

Hoping some subsequent posts will help define.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Sorry Dear PhysicsAdept,

They are who they are. True hackers or CIA, who do you wish them to be? Does it matter or is what they want to do more important? They believe in trials where the accused does not get to see their accuser, they believe in no forgiveness, they believe in using control over discussion, they believe in suppression of speech in order to keep their own, that believe might makes right.

They have posted on this site and may read this. I do what they say they believe in, I speak my mind and do as I will. I do not believe in secret or anonymous societies, I believe in saying what you think. I like what Groucho Marx said, "I would never join an organization that would allow someone like me to be a member?. Be well.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
I am relatively new to researching what's going on in the world... I've heard a bunch about Anonymous, but I still don't have a clear picture exactly who they are. I've watched some good videos, read a bunch of thread here but I fell like I need a bit more objective knowledge before I decide they are a terrorist group like some people claim, or leaders of a "free" world as others claim. All I am asking for is a little (rather unbiased) information about who they are, what's going on etc. I feel like I should learn quickly because (if I'm correct) something big is going to happen tommorow, and I want to have a valid perspective on what's going on

Thank you, I look forward on being educated!

There are levels to this...

The ones who will be out on the streets, thinking there making a change wearing the V for vendetta masks are kids, "script kiddies" as there known... they get used (even if they dotn like this fact) as resources for DOS attacks on big corp. any time Annon are "attacking" some like say... the church of scientology they get loads of script kiddes to help them run stuff on there pc's and hence they have an army of computer power.

The people who are really savy from them are 4chan members (give or take) some of them are really good hackers, some are oppertunists, sometimes they do things that can almost be applauded, other times they do pety things because they can, the internet allows them to be Annon so they are.

Then there is the Disinfo, there have been alot of recent things that have occured that have not been admited to by Annon, and as a unit they generally admit to all the stuff they do because they really have a relaxed/diffrent/wrong view of the world. what they deserve in the world and how the world feels/should feel about them.

when its not been 4Chan crowd (the splinter groups such as lulsec etc) its been Government or companies doing it for there own agenda.

example tomorrow me and some hackers could hack MI6, wswe could steal docs andpost them online in an open forum like this, we could claim to be Annon, they cant say we are not them, as they are by there very nature Annon.

so to answer your question.... socially autistic hackers witha chip on the shoulder and very little moral standing. or script kiddies used by these folks to do what they have decided is there next crusade...

and in my opinion some of them are dangerous.

Just my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by GonzoSinister

Hmmm yes that does seem to be helpful. I guess part of me does want to believe that there is some revolution that will happen soon (tomorrow would be interesting), but I suppose what you're saying does make sense. Too many gullible people are willing to follow those with power, and in a way this Annon is defeating the very purpose they seem to protest for. I guess we can all hope something great yields from thier efforts, yet should be prepared for worse.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The thing is there is no one Anon. The concept of what Anon was supposed to be sprang up from /b/, but it has never been a cohesive group. It has always been different factions claiming the same name. It will never be anything more than that, because if it was, it wouldn't be Anon.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Hah yeah, very good point. Thank you

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
this is pretty much your answer..

new topics

top topics

join