It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Connecticut becomes first state to mandate paid sick time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Sick days for workers? Why, that's just like Nazi Germany! Why, back in MY day you worked until you collapsed on the floor and then they shoved your carcass aside for the next shoeless nine year old who would replace you.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Wow most of you guys don't get sick pay and some don't get breaks

I get 10 sick/carers days a year,i need a doctor certificate if,i have more than 2 consecutive days off ,I'm sick either side of a weekend or public holiday,if i leave the company i lose all sick pay,my company pays $500 a year for not using sick pay on a prorata scale down to 4 days,so if i take 4 sick days over 12 months i will get a $100 bonus,

I also get 4 weeks paid vacation,15 minute morning and afternoon breaks,30 min lunch break, a restored day off once a month,plus the company pays 9% superannuation for me,we don't get medical insurance because we have public health car,

I do miss out on overtime penalty rates and 17.5% leave loading on my holiday pay
which i have gotten at every other job I've had in the past 20 years,

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
There is no mandatory paid sick leave in the US?
So what do you do when you get sick? Live only from the savings, or work sick when you dont have enough savings?

edit on 11/7/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Do you enjoy working sick then?

I certainly don't.

Next time, instead of using some convoluted right-wing phrase like "welfare state", use your head.

The ignorance on this site is starting to rival that of GLP.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skittle
reply to post by VicDiaz89

Wait, what? This didn't exist before anywhere in the USA?

One of the reasons that workers in the USA have fewer rights than in other first world countries is for the same reason they have the huge problem with organised crime. Industry paid thugs to break up the Unions, those thugs organised themselves into Teamsters (we call them 'scabs' in this country) to break the backs of the strikers demanding better working conditions by under cutting them and providing cheap labour. And by turning a blind eye to their criminal activities, which in turn led to the purchase of the law...you create a climate whereby they are the law and as the law it is their decision to commit regicide and change the direction of the administration by getting in a man who knows what being bought means.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
i remember when i was 17 i was working at a car wash,at the time i thought what was bieng done there was legal,turns out it wasnt..The wash managers would only let you clock in when there was at least 5 cars at a time,and when things slowed down you were immediately told to clock out,otherwise only supervisors would be allowed to get hours.it was sh#tty beyond beleif...After 6 months i quit and like a month later they were raided by ICE.turns out that at the companies 6 washes 57 illegals were employed.The companies owner mustve thought he could save maximum on labor because he knew none of the illegals would speak up or quit,he was right i guess,nobody ever spoke up while i was there.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
There is no mandatory paid sick leave in the US?
So what do you do when you get sick? Live only from the savings, or work sick when you dont have enough savings?

edit on 11/7/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

You worry about losing your job, go to work anyways
And spread the grief!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Another nail in the coffin to drive out business. A days work for a days wages? The welfare state is in full force.
Are there times when one is truly sick or needs to not work, of course, but the abuse of this law will not generate a dime to a business and send them away if they can.

Good, ethical business will take their place, those poor bionic business opperators
Can go set up shop in China, with Mao's moral set'

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wow, I always thought sick pay was standard across most developed countries! You learn something every day!

In the UK, we can claim 21 sick days per calendar year. On top of that, we get 25 days paid leave too (or in my case, I've built up 35 days due to long service). The sick can be abused, but most companies will have processe set up to minimise this, such as my employer for example which will have you in front of HR if you take more than 3 bouts of sick in 6 months. Obviously, if you have legitimate reasons and doctors notes, you'll be fine, but it certainly cuts down on those who don't like Mondays, for example.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny
Being in CT, I would have much rather had protection from getting fired because I took unpaid leave because I was sick WITH PROOF OF DOCTORS VISIT(S) OR HOSPITALIZATION. Make the employer pay 1 years salary plus full family healthcare, plus all unemployment benefits availability for wrongful termination. Automatic. No need for a court appearance or lawyers involvement by either side except for showing up at the dept of labor for the state and file a 1 page claim WITH YOUR PROOF OF DOCTOR VISIT(S) OR HOSPITALIZATION.

Yeah, you must've worked for Wal Mart I hear that happening all the time. I even know someone who was put on bed rest for months so her maternity leave was prolonged because of a high risk pregnancy signed off by the doctor and all and they terminated her. The law in the OP really is just ludicrous there are more injustices in labor that could have been fixed, this one is just stupid.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

They ALL know what it's like to be bought.

Every single politician, even the beloved Ronald Paul.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Here are some of the benefits workers get in Portugal:

- We have two types of absences: justified and unjustified. Only the unjustified and some of the justified (the one in which the worker has a social security compensation, either because of a illness that lasts longer than 30 days or because of a work accident, for example) result in salary reduction for that month.
- Some types of justified absences: 15 days for marriage, 2 or 5 days for the death a family member, school exams, disease or accident (for less than 30 days), legal obligations, urgent family assistance, less than 4 hours each trimester for attending to parents reunions at their children's school, union reunions and assemblies, political candidates, during campaign (limited to 15 days).
- For sick periods over 30 days, the employer stops paying the employee, and the employee gets only the social security support.
- We have 22 to 25 vacation days, from which we can take some days for exchange with unjustified absences, but we must have, at least, 20 vacation days.
- We are paid during vacation time, and we get double pay on that month; the normal pay and an extra month to enjoy vacations.

- We are also paid two months in December, the normal pay and an extra pay for a good year's end.

- We also have parental leave, 120 days for the mother (90 of which must be after the birth) and 5 days for the father. There's the possibility of the mother passing some of her days to the father. The leave is paid in full, as if they were working.
- In case of adoption there's a 100 days leave, paid in full.
- We cannot (except on special situations) work more than 5 consecutive hours without a 30 to 120 minutes break.
- We cannot have two work periods with less than 11 hours between them.

There's much more, if anyone wants any more information just ask.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

wow,that structure is incredible!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join