It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gitmo detainee not allowed to call witnesses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Yay freedom! Two years in prison with no charges filed against him, and now when he asks for witnesses who can corroborate his defense that he was just a freakin COOK, he is denied.

Is this in any way, shape or form justice? What exactly does this say to the rest of the world?

What's to stop Americans from being given "frontier justice" overseas because of this?

"Well, if I'm caught by the US forces, I am going to see no justice whatsoever, so why should I show any justice or mercy to this captured US soldier. I'll just cut off his head and be done with it."

The line between who are the good guys and who are the bad guys is quickly becoming even more blurred.

www.cnn.com...

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) -- An Afghan prisoner held by the U.S. military in the Guantanamo Bay naval base in Cuba has been denied the right to call witnesses at a tribunal hearing, being told their evidence would be "irrelevant".

The prisoner made an impassioned plea for his release, telling the U.S. military tribunal that he worked as an assistant cook for Afghanistan's ousted Taliban regime but was never an enemy of America and never will be.

"I swear to God I was never an enemy of America and I never will be," said the prisoner, whose name the media is also prohibited from releasing. "I don't know why I'm still here."

The man has been held at Guantanamo Bay for more than two years....

During the session, the detainee -- with black curly hair and wearing a black prayer cap -- said he was captured by the Taliban while buying tea and sugar in his village, and was later brought to Kandahar and Kabul, where he worked as an assistant cook. No dates were given.

He said his duties included bringing food to the Taliban fighters. He said he was never given a weapon, nor did he receive weapons training.

"If you keep me here for 10 years I'll still be the same person," he said. "If you let me go there will be no threat from me. You're wasting food and time on me because I'm not worth it."

Oh, sorry, I guess it was ASSISTANT cook.

new topics

join