It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STARZ new show, "Torchwood"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I've had to record it so i'll be watching it tomorrow..

Kinda can't wait to see it.. wondering what;'s new etc..
Soon find out

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Waited to watch the 1st episode before jumping in on this thread!

Loved it! loveditloveditlovedit! Great to see Captain Jack and Gwen back. Great humour, great plot and great to see American production values brought into the series that left it flagging at times on the BBC. And thankfully, thankfully, that hack RTD doesn't have the complete control that ended with him ruining Tenants run as the Doctor!

thedoctorswife
I respectfully disagree (how could it be a Who thread without that? ha), but the direction RTD took the series was almost blasphemy! 1st he starts off making a 900y/o timelord fall for a teenage human. OK, after the time war he was hurting, I'll give RTD a pass for now. Then when Rose (who became an annoying little chav) finally fecks off, not only does RTD do another Mary Jane with Martha, he brings Rose back! arghhhhh! And again, and again, and again! WTF!
It was only after the fan backlash he realised it was time to get back to basics and the wonderful Donna came in as a companion. An ASSISTANT! the way it should be, a foil to the doctor, and a way for the viewer to get the answers for all the wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff the Doctor gets up to! But even then, Tenants Doctor ended up a whiny emo little biatch, who just ran down corridors, showed teeth, and moaned. Even in his regen, he whined! "I don't want to go"............oh boohoo, by that stage I couldn't wait for him to go wibbly wobbly

Steven Moffats tenure however, and I respect the fact that many don't like Matt Smith, has been a breath of fresh air after that nonsense. The writing is tight, expanding story arcs, Rory the Roman, Matt Smith (who for my $, can go all the way to be the best Doctor ever), fantastic writing. It's just all out win for me

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ridcully

Whilst i agree with your feeling regarding rose and martha and astrid as well really, (i hate romance being brought into it) and yes Donna was awesome, great humour, almost like the doctors big sister, I still enjoyed RTDs style off writing over Moffat, i think it has more humour. I felt the Tennant tenure didnt finish on a high, in fact i thought the last few episodes with the return of the master, extremely non sensical. In fact ill go as far as to say Journeys end before that was also stretching the limits of science fiction. I mean, the Tardis towing the earth from the far reaches of the galaxy to its original spot, this isnt science fiction, its science fantasy, and i hate it when the Doctor makes impossible things happen.
My favourite episodes are still The sound of the Drums trilogy, and i think "blink" was moffats piece de resistance. I LOVE talking about Dr who, because i grew up with it, ( i can just remember John Pertwee) although Baker was my Doctor, so any time anyone wants a Dr chat im here

ps i think the River song romance was slightly believable.
I WANNA KNOW HIS NAME!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I am just curious since I am new to Doctor Who, do people really not like Matt Smith or does it just have to do with them being upset over Tennant's departure?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy

I am just curious since I am new to Doctor Who, do people really not like Matt Smith or does it just have to do with them being upset over Tennant's departure?

Bit of both i think, it was always gonna happen, Tennant had to leave, such is the nature of Dr Who, I just dont feel that Matt Smith was right, i would like to have seen a older man becoming Dr this time. I also think the Matt Doctor is too similar in character to the David Doctor. Chris Eccleston who played the Doctor before David Tennant had a completely different personality, and that worked. IMHO.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
First impression of new series ... not bad.. good to see familiar faces. Has almost kept the original feeling and mood..

Seemed to get off to a bit of a wobbly start but rapidly gained ground.

Can't wait to see the next episode, it appears to get a bit more traditionally gritty

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Whilst i agree with your feeling regarding rose and martha and astrid as well really, (i hate romance being brought into it) and yes Donna was awesome, great humour, almost like the doctors big sister, I still enjoyed RTDs style off writing over Moffat, i think it has more humour. I felt the Tennant tenure didnt finish on a high, in fact i thought the last few episodes with the return of the master, extremely non sensical. In fact ill go as far as to say Journeys end before that was also stretching the limits of science fiction. I mean, the Tardis towing the earth from the far reaches of the galaxy to its original spot, this isnt science fiction, its science fantasy, and i hate it when the Doctor makes impossible things happen.
My favourite episodes are still The sound of the Drums trilogy, and i think "blink" was moffats piece de resistance. I LOVE talking about Dr who, because i grew up with it, ( i can just remember John Pertwee) although Baker was my Doctor, so any time anyone wants a Dr chat im here

ps i think the River song romance was slightly believable.
I WANNA KNOW HIS NAME!

Well at least we're broadly in agreement! There we're some mighty highs BM (before Moffat!). Blink is one of the best episodes of any series ever, let alone Who. Then Family Of Blood, my god, enough said. The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances, again, enough said. The Girl In The Fireplace, Dalek, School Renunion
The list goes on and on.

The thing about Matt for me, is he looks (astonishingly!) and acts like a very old timelord, who's seen too much, done too much and feels the weight of it on his shoulders. I loved Ecclestones interpretation and would have loved to seen more. Tennant was fantastic too, I just thought in the end, the writing let him down. Just take a good look at Matt when things are getting him down, especially the ganger episodes, he really does look like an old man in a young body.
Matt feels right to me. I can just about remember Pertwee too, around 4 or 5 I think at the time, but yes, Baker is 'my' Doctor. And Matt brings that wackiness but on the flip of a coin, he'll turn round round and do what has to be done. We saw that in the last couple of episodes.

Without rambling too much, and just throwing it out, my ultimate (older) Doctor would be.....Sean Pertwee. He'd never do it, but I would love to see it happen. Not just cos of the family connection, I love his work anyway, and think he'd make a great Doctor. Think about it, you know he would

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I read on Wikipedia that Jason Statham was one of the rumored replacements for Tennant. I don't know if that was serious or not but that would have been the weirdest thing ever.

I wonder if Captain Jack will ever meet the new Doctor, or if this Americanization of Torchwood will try to distance itself from Doctor Who. The show (Doctor Who) is really gaining in popularity in America. "The Impossible Astronaut" was the highest rated telecast ever on BBC America. It was either the second or third Doctor Who episode I ever watched (the first being "Fires of Pompeii"). "Torchwood: Miracle Day" had good ratings for Starz but it will be the numbers for this week that really matter. Hopefully they won't drop very much.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy

I read on Wikipedia that Jason Statham was one of the rumored replacements for Tennant. I don't know if that was serious or not but that would have been the weirdest thing ever.

I wonder if Captain Jack will ever meet the new Doctor, or if this Americanization of Torchwood will try to distance itself from Doctor Who. The show (Doctor Who) is really gaining in popularity in America. "The Impossible Astronaut" was the highest rated telecast ever on BBC America. It was either the second or third Doctor Who episode I ever watched (the first being "Fires of Pompeii"). "Torchwood: Miracle Day" had good ratings for Starz but it will be the numbers for this week that really matter. Hopefully they won't drop very much.

I may be wrong Andy, but im not familiar with "the impossible astronaut" i think you probably mean the "impossible planet", which was a two part, and had an excellent cast.
Ive always been fascinated by the way Jacks personality changes in the two different shows. In Torchwood he's leader and quite a serious character, yet in dr Who he turns into the comic relief.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I got bored with Dr Who and can't truthfully say I think he has travelled well through time - having watched him since a kid.

But today's homely sci-fi with Torchwood has been great to watch and also I love Primeval great sci fi. When I watch homegrown sci-fi I have yet to see anything that beats the scary 1950's Quatermass or the later classy vampire series Ultraviolet where the music, acting and storyline was superb. I rue the day that series stopped.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Sorry i dont get the Pertwee family connection thing, im having a blond day

Now your speaking my language with getting Pertwee back, not that it would happen, is he still alive?? Tom Baker was a one off as well, i didnt really get Peter Davison, but that was going into my teen years, so I probably didnt watch so much telly.
Id have liked to see more of Eccleston, he was a far more cynical, grittier doctor, isnt theyre a line in one of the episodes where he refers to humans as talking monkeys? Nice.
Ive loved Dr who all my life and will continue to until i snuff it, (which might not be long if you go by what some of the threads in above TS claim) My kids think its a bit sad for a 40 something woman to be into it, i think its sadder to read celeb mags and fantasise over shoes, just my 2p worth (jn old money).

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

try this;

"The Impossible Astronaut" is the first episode of the sixth series of the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. Written by show runner Steven Moffat, and directed by Toby Haynes, the episode was first broadcast on 23 April 2011 in the United Kingdom, as well as the United States and Canada. It also aired in Australia on 30 April 2011. The episode is the first of a two part story, which concluded with "Day of the Moon".

en.wikipedia.org...

and yes there is a connection between the two Pertwees..
Jon is the father of Sean... Jon died years ago...

John Devon Roland Pertwee (7 July 1919[1] – 20 May 1996), was an English actor. Pertwee is best known for his role in the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, in which he played the third incarnation of the Doctor from 1970 to 1974, and as the title character in the series Worzel Gummidge. He is also well-known for his 18-year stint on BBC Radio as Chief Petty Officer Pertwee in The Navy Lark.

en.wikipedia.org...

Jon was also Worzel Gummage..
edit on 15-7-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I got my pertwees mixed up, yeah sean would be great, he looks just like his father, i would like to have seen James Nesbitt as the new doctor, he was mooted to be a possibility, i loved him in Jekyll, and guess who wrote all six episodes of Jekyll? Steven Moffat.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Sorry i dont get the Pertwee family connection thing, im having a blond day

Now your speaking my language with getting Pertwee back, not that it would happen, is he still alive?? Tom Baker was a one off as well, i didnt really get Peter Davison, but that was going into my teen years, so I probably didnt watch so much telly.
Id have liked to see more of Eccleston, he was a far more cynical, grittier doctor, isnt theyre a line in one of the episodes where he refers to humans as talking monkeys? Nice.
Ive loved Dr who all my life and will continue to until i snuff it, (which might not be long if you go by what some of the threads in above TS claim) My kids think its a bit sad for a 40 something woman to be into it, i think its sadder to read celeb mags and fantasise over shoes, just my 2p worth (jn old money).

Thats where I like the time war arc. Eccleston's doctor had just come out of it, and was still very raw from what he had to do. Tennent's, became softer after a while, until the Master came back, then he lost it again. Which was wonderful to watch apart from the jesus doctor bit urgh! Then Matt came in and it's fish fingers and custard! He wears a fez now, fezzes are cool! I honestly think he's as good as Baker. He makes me feel the Doctor is back, properly back
Oh and I'm 41 so tell ur kids where are their celebs gonna be in 40 years!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I got my pertwees mixed up, yeah sean would be great, he looks just like his father, i would like to have seen James Nesbitt as the new doctor, he was mooted to be a possibility, i loved him in Jekyll, and guess who wrote all six episodes of Jekyll? Steven Moffat.

Oh yes, Jekyll was amazing and he would make a great Doctor. Doubt he'd do it though, even if offered. I tell you who would make a good Doctor though......now he's grown up..........Rik Mayall. Or even Ade Edmondson. They can both do serious when needed, zany when wanted.
I spend far too much time thinking about this ha!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

try this;

"The Impossible Astronaut" is the first episode of the sixth series of the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. Written by show runner Steven Moffat, and directed by Toby Haynes, the episode was first broadcast on 23 April 2011 in the United Kingdom, as well as the United States and Canada. It also aired in Australia on 30 April 2011. The episode is the first of a two part story, which concluded with "Day of the Moon".

en.wikipedia.org...

and yes there is a connection between the two Pertwees..
Jon is the father of Sean... Jon died years ago...

John Devon Roland Pertwee (7 July 1919[1] – 20 May 1996), was an English actor. Pertwee is best known for his role in the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, in which he played the third incarnation of the Doctor from 1970 to 1974, and as the title character in the series Worzel Gummidge. He is also well-known for his 18-year stint on BBC Radio as Chief Petty Officer Pertwee in The Navy Lark.

en.wikipedia.org...

Jon was also Worzel Gummage..
edit on 15-7-2011 by Extralien because: (no reason given)

Sorry my friend, i was wrong you were right, i must have missed that one because im not a big matt smith fan.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
How about Rupert Murdoch for the next doctor and Rebekah brooks for his assistant, id bet theyd love to be at the other side of galaxy right now.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I remember seeing the Torchwood miniseries on BBC America, and that was good. We have the DVDs of the first season (borrowed from a friend) to watch, when we get time.

We enjoyed what we saw. Not so crazy about the gay leading man bit (just not my cup of tea...as I grew up with different), but it's pretty underplayed, so it isn't a major focus of the show...and he's a great character in his own right.

Plus, I could listen to women with English accents all day long

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I remember seeing the Torchwood miniseries on BBC America, and that was good. We have the DVDs of the first season (borrowed from a friend) to watch, when we get time.

We enjoyed what we saw. Not so crazy about the gay leading man bit (just not my cup of tea...as I grew up with different), but it's pretty underplayed, so it isn't a major focus of the show...and he's a great character in his own right.

oooh does that include welsh accents my love? id like to thank the new series of torchwood for introducing america to wales, previously only known in the context of "princess of wales". and Richard Burton, anthony hopkins, Tom JOnes and Catherine zeta jones, who were all born a stones throw from where i live.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

with the gay leading man thing, the thing is, the bbc do love to push the barriers a bit, and hes not actually gay, hes actually into any species really, and there are some scenes where he shows care and love for man/woman/alien, and its very emotive, it works, because its so well directed, in any other drama it might seem welll weird.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join