It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo! set to snoop on users

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
If there is any communication you want to keep private, you should learn how to use PGP or Pretty Good Privacy.

Quite true.
On the internet, you have to assume that somebody can read ordinary emails anyway. Especially online boxes like hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc... Even if yahoo have just come out now with new terms and conditions saying they will do it, you'd be nuts to think they havnt been doing it already for a long time. Especially when you know they already look at your emails for spam content.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
I'm glad i use my yahoo account for nothing more than junk mail and jokes. Thinking i should send myself an email about their service as well

Yea I have 14,000 unread E-mails as of yesterday.

Seems they want to send me more useless e-mails based off of the ones I already get.

Cool I guess.....

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I just logged into Yahoo and found a setting for interest based ads. It was preselected in the off position. So at least for me, Yahoo is making you opt in rather than making you opt out.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yahoo has nothing on Google who are not only on most web sites but are part of the CIA and now they are banning millions of sites tha have nothing to do with a security risk to you're credit card or computer.

Google is treating you as a child and thinks you need to be protected from what you read.

Yhaoo is chicken feed to these guys that own YouTube and share data with Ebay to get your address but still learn how to turn of Geo-location in you're browser just to keep these scum bags guessing.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yahoo sucks anyway.
Shady as hell.

Do yourselves a favor..
Use GMX.

posted on Jul, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_007
Yahoo has nothing on Google who are not only on most web sites but are part of the CIA and now they are banning millions of sites tha have nothing to do with a security risk to you're credit card or computer.
I don't know if it's millions of sites they're banning, but you can turn off that feature if you want to go to risky sites. Most people aren't savvy enough to protect themselves, so yes, Google treats them like they need protection because they do. If you're savvy enough to navigate the risks, then you're savvy enough to know how to disable this Google protection.

However you do make a valid point that Yahoo seems to be playing "catchup" as Google has already been doing the same thing with scanning e-mails for targeted advertising. So in a way, Yahoo is just trying to be competitive. One reason I used Yahoo instead of Google is because I thought Yahoo was less invasive in this respect. And, apparently, they were, until now.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

There are many choices.
gmail and yahoo are not your only options.
Actually, they are 2 of the worst.
You probably know this.. lol
But you make it sound like you don't.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

Google analytics is a program that collects data on activities taking place on the web page.

If you are using firefox you can get an add-on program called GHOSTERY that can block all those tracking tools and usually makes those targeted ads go full retard.

There are likely five or ten other trackers other than google analytics on that page.

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

certainly one way to get around laws that protect privacy.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
Yea I have 14,000 unread E-mails as of yesterday.

LOL I was thinking about this too - I haven't even checked my yahoo email in a few years, I can't imagine whats in there

They can go head and read it if they want to since I don't
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8beacef91b8e.gif[/atsimg]

I also agree with others sentiment, "if you want to be private..." - do something else

the only difference here is that Yahoo is acknowledging they do it, and making it part of policy - kinda nice of them - they could've just kept it hush - most of thier users would've never known the difference (and still won't)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think they have been doing this for a while.

About a year ago I was looking on E-bay for silver rings. I received an e-mail saying I had won a ring that I bid on. Low and behold later that evening I started getting e-mails about silver wedding rings. I don't bother with yahoo mail much anymore either. It pissed me off.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
So if I send a bunch of emails to myself with "Yahoo sucks" in 72 point font about half a dozen times a day for a few weeks, will they start advertising themselves on my page? Or will they start advertising Google?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join