It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paraplegics Walk With Exoskeleton – Exclusive Video of Berkeley Bionic’s eLegs in Action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Source

Robotic legs may get paraplegics walking again, and in more ways than one. Exoskeleton startup Berekely Bionics has partnered with ten of the top physical rehabilitation centers in the United States to test their eLegs walking system. eLegs, which consists of a lower body exoskeleton with a backpack style control and battery unit, can bear the weight of a human user, allowing him or her to take steps using only the power of the device. In other words, eLegs allows paraplegics to walk.

Bionics, robotics, I welcome all of these. I'm sure there are some people who fear these things. Their reasoning, it'll destroy the economy, it'll give rise to technofascism, it'll increase the gap between the have and the have not even more, possibility of robocalypse, and so on.

For me, this is progress. I'm looking forward for more automation such as self-driving cars and housekeeping robots. And ultimately, bionics and robotics can help us find other earth to colonize and also help us to explore the universe.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Starred and flagged OP. That is wonderful to see!

join