It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
A Note On Friendship is Magic Episode Copyrights

For quite a while, it wasn't clear what Hasbro's copyright stance was on episodes of Friendship is Magic uploaded to YouTube and other sites. With their now more vigorous enforcement on YouTube and their DMCA cease and desist notice to the (now defunct) Pony Archive, their position can be better understood.

Although they don't seem to have any problem with fan videos or similar derivative works, they do want to protect their distribution rights for the episodes themselves, especially the HD versions, which are available for a price through iTunes at the following links:

(iTunes) My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Season 1

(iTunes) My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Season 2

Episodes may also be viewed on The Hub cable channel and their pony section on Hubworld.com, although availability of episodes from these sources is often limited in various ways.

Because I very much respect Hasbro's wishes in all this, I won't be posting any more links to the series episodes, though I don't plan to go back through this thread and remove any either unless asked (many of them are broken now, anyway).

I also ask that fellow members not post links to unauthorized copies of videos or anything related to subverting, bypassing or otherwise violating Hasbro's right to protect them. They ponied up the dough to make them, and have every right to decide how they should be distributed and used.

Of course, I do plan to continue commenting on them, because Season Two is turning out to be an amazing season and the show only continues to grow in popularity and reach. And since Hasbro doesn't seem to mind fan videos, I'm sure I'll link to plenty of those as well.

Also, since screen captures and short snippets of video reasonably fall under Fair Use provisions of copyright law, I don't plan to stop using those either.

After all, the ponies must get through!

Singing A Different Tune

As a fan of the show and a supporter of intellectual property rights who doesn't watch cable TV (or any TV, for that matter), I've been anguishing over various philosophical and ethical questions related to how I watch Friendship is Magic. The short version is that I want to do the right thing.

For the record, I absolutely, positively hate iTunes. I tried it a few years ago and uninstalled it because it is some of the worst, most obnoxious and most invasive bloatware on the planet. Shame, shame, shame on Apple for not making it more friendly to users who like to run an efficient, clean and non-bloated system. I have made a distinct point of avoiding it and other software of its kind like the plague.

Thus the fact that I downloaded and installed iTunes (and Quicktime, et al) on my computer yesterday is no small matter, and though I did use a method for reducing some of the bloat, iTunes 10 is now on my machine, I now have an Apple ID and downloaded my first episode of Pony from the store yesterday.

The Digital Rights Management encoding that comes with iTunes videos is a pointless hassle, in my opinion, but the HD versions of the episodes are clean, free of the commercials, promo banners and sprites found in the broadcast episodes, smooth as silk and are absolutely, positively stunning. Far and away the best way to watch ponies in their pristine, natural habitat.

So there it is. I now have iTunes on my computer, am buying my Friendship is Magic episodes from the iTunes store (I recommend the season passes which, for fifty bucks, come out to a little under two bucks an episode) and have allowed Apple's groping tentacles into my computer, all because of this. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Confound these ponies. They drive me to madness!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The creators and workers really are grateful for decisions like that.

I appreciate them putting episodes on the Hub, because it makes it possible for people like me to watch them (and consider getting them as a present for my granddaughters.) I do wish they had more than two episodes at a time (I can understand why they don't) because I don't have a reminder of when the episodes appear.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Tuning In

reply to post by Byrd

Having just finished downloading all of Season Two in HD (it took this long on my connection, because each episode is about 750MB in size), I must say my ire toward iTunes has lessened somewhat.

It's still more intrusive than I like, but definitely less obnoxious than the last version I installed. And having all the episodes I want on-hand whenever I want is very nice.

My softened stance is no doubt influenced by being able to watch the episodes in pristine, brilliant, near-pixel-perfect 720p with no banners or overlays. Fluid, smooth as silk animation, ultra crisp lines and the meticulous attention to detail expressed in the show really shine through when I can see it this clearly.

I sometimes wonder if I'm crazy for loving a kids' cartoon so much, but then some people wonder why adults love Bugs Bunny so much. For a Bugs fan, the answers are obvious.

So should it be with teh poniez.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
I'm sure they make wonderful glue...

I had that thought several years ago. How else do you think they make glitter glue?

I just choke on my coffee and it came out my nose, as I scrolled down and saw your reply.

"EPIC!"

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
So what's your take on the "Derpy" controversy, Majic? I have acquaintances who feel as though she's an homage to the fans and are livid over portraying her as a clumsy buffoon.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Eyes Of The Beholder

reply to post by Byrd

Well, I'll admit being very surprised to see Derpy get so much screen time and so many lines in The Last Roundup. Heck, the damage she caused to the town hall even played a notable role in the plot. For a character that had largely been in the background and given occasional "Where's Waldo?" moments, it was a pretty big step up.

But one of the problems with Derpy is the fact that so many fans seem to feel a sense of ownership of the character. When something she says or does isn't in line with their expectations, they tend to take it personally.

There has also been some controversy about what appeared to be a "Derpy blackout", in which an accessory vendor pulled Derpy products and the iTunes store removed The Last Roundup from its listings, amid rumors that it had been pulled due to complaints about Derpy's portrayal being offensive.

WeLoveFine, the vendor, has since unveiled new Derpy merchandise, The Last Roundup has been viewable at the Hubworld website throughout the imbroglio and, although the episode is still missing from the iTunes store (glad I downloaded it when it first appeared there), the word is Derpy is here to stay.

As for Derpy's portrayal, I think they went a bit far with her "derpiness". She's always been a klutz (dropping various items on Twilight's head in Feeling Pinkie Keen, for example), and the "derp eyes" symbolize not playing with a full deck, but she still seems overdone.

Tabitha St. Germain's voicing of Derpy seems to fit her well overall, but comes across as more "dumb" than I'd like. I would prefer a smarter (if not luminary) Derpy with more personality depth and a more sympathetic presentation. Perhaps in future episodes, we may see her gravitate more in that direction.

Whatever the case, one thing is indisputable: when it comes to the brony community, Derpy Is Serious Business.

edit on 2/9/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
When Memes Collide

And now for something completely different...

What happens when you combine Rainbow Dash, Popeye and Chuck Norris?

Click here to find out!

And the scary part is, it works.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Bronies Gone Wild: Pinkie Step Edition

The implications of a show like Friendship is Magic having a large adult male fanbase are far-reaching, and can often lead in unexpected directions. I think this would qualify as a good example.

When I saw this mentioned on Equestria Daily, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I decided to have a look at the video. Here it is:

I'm not sure what amazes me more: that this guy had the skills to do this, that he had the time to do this, or that he was even motivated to do this in the first place.

One thing's for sure. If you think you've seen everything there is to see about My Little Pony, you're wrong.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Hey Majic

did you ever play Counter Strike Source ??
a team mate of mine from my old clan was really into "my little pony" stuff

he was often singing "my little pony my little pony" while playing
it marked me
.. i still remember him even after so many yrs ahah
edit on 2/23/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
My Little Pwny

reply to post by Ben81

Alas, over the years I've played more rounds of original Counter-Strike and Counter-Strike: Source than are stars in the sky. Love that game, and may pick it up again someday if I ever have the time. I will confess the idea does sound appealing. Who can resist taking another shot at de_dust2?

If it was years ago, your clanmate may well have been an "old school" brony -- back before Friendship is Magic hit the scene and became the chique new meme for the Internet elite.

Nowadays, ponies can be found throughout just about every corner of gamedom, and First-Person Shooters like Counter-Strike are no exception.

Consider, if you will, the over 200 pony-oriented sprays available here on GameSprays.com, and that's just a drop in the oat bucket when it comes to the plethora of pony sprays out there, which in turn represents only the barest fraction of pony influence over online games.

And, of course, in addition to pony sprays, I suppose you can find the occasional player who sings the My Little Pony theme song over ventrilo.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Since you have played CSS
Does =24= tell you something ?? or Giovanni
sorry to be little bit off topic

but the world is so small sometimes
that maybe it is you

when i saw you thread .. i though of him immediatly

edit on 2/23/2012 by Ben81 because: flaggued

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Game On!

reply to post by Ben81

Nope, wasn't me. I only discovered the Magic of Friendship last year (almost a year ago. wow!) and quite a while after I stopped playing Counter-Strike.

But in the future, who knows? As ponydom grows ever more popular we can, for good or ill, expect a lot more bronies to show up in matches than ever before.

Whether that's a sign of the Apocalypse, I can't say, but as a pony fan, I can't say the idea bothers me, either.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The Derpy Hooves Affair
Or, Big Trouble in Little Ponyville

According to Equestria Daily, the famous extended speaking part for Derpy in S02E14, The Last Roundup, has been modified in an apparent attempt to be less offensive to "special" viewers.

Yes, my friends, Derpy has been bowdlerized.

The Old Derpy, from bygone days when ponies ran derped and free.

The New Derpy, as dictated by the Pony Kommissariat.

While I knew, based on my extensive studies in Advanced Broniology, that this wouldn't go over well with the fans, the degree of outrage and near-murderous psychosis which has been unleashed by some pony fans astounds even me.

Some of the streams of invective being leveled at Hasbro and the show's producers would be out of place in a seedy strip club packed full of drunken sailors, let alone the fandom of a children's cartoon.

"Bizarre" doesn't even begin to describe it. As a fan of the show, I'm profoundly disappointed and embarrassed by the responses of some of my fellow pony enthusiasts, even though I really try to distance myself from that sort of thing.

It's sad. It's as if they never learned anything from this remarkable series. God forbid girls who like the show be exposed to these revolting histrionics. The children. Won't somebody please think of the children?

But as with every cloud, this one has a silver lining. For every foul-mouthed hater out there spewing profanity over this, there are at least ten times as many fans who do understand what the show is all about and who won't allow this paroxysm of maladjusted hysteria to drag them down with it.

In the midst of a tempestuous teapot, that's reassuring.

Censorship... Good?!?

Ironically, I find myself conflicted about the move.

My initial reaction was one of indignation at seeing a show I love be treated this way. I have tremendous respect for the talent and artistic integrity of the show's producers and staff and, as a matter of principle, despise seeing their work marred by executive meddling. I hope none of this will affect them adversely, and I definitely don't want to see them discouraged from trying new things and pushing the envelope now and then.

But...

As I mentioned here, I thought Derpy's original portrayal was overdone. While I dislike how all this went down and hope the censorship of Derpy's name won't stand, I actually prefer the new "improved" Derpy -- political correctness be damned.

Making her a less "thick" personality opens doors for future character growth and sophistication that I find very appealing. As much as it galls me to say it, I think this may be a rare case where executive meddling is actually a good thing.

After all, Hasbro needs to be extremely careful about the image of their Pony product line, and frankly they're already sticking their collective necks out by running with a cartoon series that takes so many chances to begin with. This particular incident is somewhat distasteful, but the "suits" involved did have the sound judgment and good sense to go with Lauren Faust's magnificent creative vision and make this show a reality, and I have to respect that.

Ultimately, their only real mistake here was not catching this before the show aired. Had they moved for changes before this went public, it would never have been an issue at all. Crazy as it seems, this imbroglio actually makes the case for executive meddling.

And I, for one, welcome our new Derpy overlords.

edit on 2/25/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Wow! That's an excellent breakdown by someone who is apparently a professional animator!

Very insightful, also, if you make songvids from games (like Warcraft), though the tweaking would probably cause you to go blind (unless someone was paying for it.)

I may have to go back and look for this guy's vids if he has others. I don't usually watch vids, but I'm willing to make an exception for him.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
The Derpy Hooves Affair
Or, Big Trouble in Little Ponyville

Ultimately, their only real mistake here was not catching this before the show aired. Had they moved for changes before this went public, it would never have been an issue at all. Crazy as it seems, this imbroglio actually makes the case for executive meddling.

I agree. As some have said, I think I actually like the new voice better, but the fans immediately adopted the old voice, so any change is going to be seen as bad.

I think some would have liked to see her become a new "team member" but I think that would be a bad move for a number of reasons -- one of them being that if you have an ensemble cast, it's harder to focus on plot when you're trying to give all of them airtime. On the other hand (or hoof), having a clumsy pony as a sidekick or occasional hang-around pal (perhaps on the order of the Cutie Crusaders) is not a bad idea. Some of us were terribly clumsy and socially awkward as children.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Double-Cross

reply to post by Byrd

Ironically enough, a less "offensive" Derpy would be easier to write into future episodes, both in terms of character flexibility and less risk of backlash from either angry parents or angry bronies, or both.

Rather than an insensitive slap at the fans' beloved mascot, this may actually be an attempt to save her.

Probably the grandest irony of all is the fact that I'm pretty darn sure a lot of the fans screaming bloody murder today about the change are the same ones who complained about her voice back when the episode first came out, and before it was altered.

But that was then, and this is now. And now is the time for...

DERPY JIHAD!!!!

edit on 2/26/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Realtruth will opening admit he is following this thread now.

And he is amazed at the deep to which "My Little Pony" leads a person.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Okay.... everybody ready for this one?

Some of you may know that bronies also do doll remodeling (which is a craft that's been around for awhile.) Some wonderfully inspired person did "Mr. T" as a pony.

No, REALLY!

As one of my friends (actually, several) said, "I pity da foal!"

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Some of you may know that bronies also do doll remodeling (which is a craft that's been around for awhile.) Some wonderfully inspired person did "Mr. T" as a pony.

What's even more scary is it looks like him, and I think I want one too.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Go Figure

Originally posted by Realtruth
What's even more scary is it looks like him, and I think I want one too.

As the pushers say, the first one's free.

I don't, as a rule, collect dolls or figurines, and the stuff Hasbro sells tends to be mass-produced in China and of varying quality (from fair to poor, in my opinion) but I'll admit some of fan-made figures I've seen I wouldn't mind having as desk accessories.

Alas, I don't have a link, but I saw a hand-painted Celestia/Luna set that looked absolutely amazing. There are also these Fan-made Lego model concepts that are cool enough to be desk toys -- even if I don't have any Legos to go with them.

But what I'm holding out for, and would lay down some serious cash for, would be a pair of good-sized metal statuettes of the regal sisters, with Celestia in brass and Luna in pewter.

Maybe someday.

(Oh, and welcome to the mega-pony thread. Be warned: this way lies madness.)

edit on 3/4/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join