It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
My goodness, this thread just keeps growing. I checked back in and you've added so much more, The take offs on popular movies were kind of funny and I watched a few others that were on youtube. I did watch the first video you posted in your first post and thought it was OK. I didn't like the fact that such scholarly pony, Twilight Sparkle, was ignored to the seemingly detriment of all Equestria..I guess even in a make believe world people don't want to listen to the smart ones. They would rather look thru rose colored glasses and just play and goof off all the time.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I've always loved My Little Pony.

This will be watched at the next opportunity.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Bringing It All Together

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer
My goodness, this thread just keeps growing.

I guess you could say this thread is more like a My Little Pony mini-blog at this point.

What's sort of ironic is that I am very fond of the show, am now working my way through a second viewing and enjoy noticing things I hadn't noticed before, but am finding myself becoming even more interested in the "Pony Phenomenon" and its cultural impacts. It's like a world in itself.

I'm particularly happy with the way the show is helping to break down gender barriers that often isolate men and women from one another. It's all too easy for men and women to see each other as "opposites" or even "different species", and while to some extent that's to be expected in light of our differences, it need not impose artificial limitations on human relationships.

Sitting down together to watch the antics of cartoon ponies might seem like a rather unlikely ice-breaker, but it's happening, and if doing that can help build mutual understanding and bring people closer together, I can't see how that's a bad thing.

Previously On My Little Pony

I didn't like the fact that such scholarly pony, Twilight Sparkle, was ignored to the seemingly detriment of all Equestria.

At the risk of spoiling the plot, I will point out that by the end of Episode 2, the circumstances surrounding Episode 1 become much clearer, and you probably won't feel so bad for Twilight Sparkle. Let's just say dramatic tension requires that certain sacrifices be made.

One of the things I like about this show is that as simple as it looks, there is often more to it than meets the eye. This is especially true of anything involving Princess Celestia, but I should probably leave it at that.

For your viewing pleasure, I offer a convenient embed for the riveting conclusion to this exciting two-part adventure:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Episode 2

Enjoy! If you dare.

edit on 8/27/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
OK, I see where they get the Friendship is Magic subtitle and together they save Princess Luna, while it seems that Princess Celestia may have been waiting in the background for the friends, particularly Twilight Sparkle, to have an epiphany.

So the first two episodes has God Mode Mary Sue, Princess Celestia, banish her little sister, Princess Luna, who was twisted from jealousy and transformed into big bad, Nightmare Moon, 1000 years ago for 1000 years which happen to be up. Twilight Sparkle, who read about it in a book tries to warn Princess Celestia who obviously already knows this and sets up Twilight Sparkle for a Xanatos gambit to save her little sister. She wants Twilight Sparkle to make friends and do the heavy lifting so she doesn’t have to invoke God Mode on her little sister.

Powerful Princesses without a King, Queen or evil older relative. That meme seems familiar in that I would expect in the current or a previous incarnation of My Little Pony that everyone is declared or becomes a Princess including the audience.

Without watching anymore episodes it seems obvious that the other episodes will revolve around pick a pony, get the pony in trouble, let the six friends get together to solve the mystery and save the pony. I don’t know but that sounds so Scooby-Doo, doesn’t it? Throw in the God Mode Mary Sue Princess Celestia when it needs a little umpth.

Sorry, I guess I’m just jaded with cartoons, even though I always liked how Bugs Bunny confounds good ol’ Elmer Fudd and the Rube Goldberg devices Wile E. Coyote uses to try and catch the Road Runner.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The Story Behind The Story

reply to post by Bramble Iceshimmer

My goodness! You certainly know your tropes (awesome website, is it not?).

Yes, Friendship is Magic is loaded with them, and covers a lot of ground that has already been covered many times. Episodes 1 & 2 take the form of a classic fable which is so obvious in its fablehood that just about anyone, even a very young child, would have trouble missing that fact.

The latest My Little Pony makes no apologies for serving up stereotypes. Indeed, it seems to revel in setting them up, then subverting them. As forthright as the show tends to be, it is also imbued with a sort of ironic playfulness that can be quite anvilicious, but is never cynical or mean.

As for the rest of the season, we certainly see plenty of the "pony gets in trouble, friends save the day" plot device, and that's not too surprising considering the show's major premise. However, not every episode follows that pattern, and even those that do often feature a twist that cleverly defies expectations. Some episodes are as predictable as the dawn, but several come right out of left field and can leave us shaking our heads in disbelief.

Such is Pony.

Have You Hugged Your Brony Today?

Meanwhile, yesterday was International Brony Appreciation Day, and saw bronies gathering and celebrating bronydom in many locations around the world.

The festivities included a surprisingly wide range of events, contests, drawings, giveaways and a number of related activities on the Internet. Here's hoping the good people of Brony, Poland weren't overrun in all the excitement.

It remains to be seen how committed the fandom truly is, and how persistent the Brony Phenomenon will be, but for now, all signs point toward continued momentum as anticipation builds for the airing of Season 2, and Hasbro demonstrates its willingness to promote and cash in on bronydom.

There are even rumors of brony-oriented toys in the works.

Capitalism is not dead.

P.S. Regarding "Princess" Celestia. Lauren Faust has commented on that, and it's clear she would have preferred that her title be "Queen". Unfortunately, it seems the brass behind the project felt it best to stick with the longstanding Disney tradition of queens being evil and princesses being good. Since Celestia (also known as "Trollestia" among fans for her subtle pranks and gambits), is presented as being good (from a certain point of view), she must settle for being a princess, even though her actual role is more that of a god-empress. Even royalty has its limits.

edit on 7/16/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
While I visit TV Tropes, I don’t need to go to TV Tropes to recognize the plot devices and obvious character types because as an occasional writer, mostly for my own sanity, I’ve been criticized for using them. Next to spelling and grammar, one of my friends delights in pointing out the abuse of tropes, especially my overpowered characters. I like to give my main characters more than enough power, usually at the last minute through some stupid/crazy/slightly plausible means, to stop the bad guy(s). I avoid any Spidey/Batman/Superman traps moral or otherwise as I have no reservations about killing the bad guy(s) and no guilt at collateral damage to do so. I read lots of books, comics and manga, watch some anime and a few cartoons online, I follow several web comics and I like I said, visit TV Tropes.

While I was browsing, I found there may be some Bronies in Anonymous. This was part of a countdown clock from AnonAustria for a release.

edit on 7/24/2011 by Bramble Iceshimmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Bronies In Black

While I was browsing, I found there may be some Bronies in Anonymous.

Considering the way the ponies literally overran 4chan, and 4chan's indelible connection to Anonymous, I would be surprised if there weren't bronies in Anonymous. In fact, I would go so far as to speculate that there is huge brony representation within Anonymous groups of all kinds.

Just as it should be, for the Great Ponification cannot be stopped.

Ode To Mary Sue

As for the tropes, there's absolutely nothing wrong with writing that includes or even revolves around tropes. Indeed, it's almost impossible to write anything without including or invoking several tropes, often unconsciously.

Despite its humorous and incisive nature, even TVTropes.org points out that tropes are tools, and not necessarily bad.

What matters in all writing is the message, how it affects the reader, and how it inspires the reader to respond.

Thus when it comes to writing, or any artistic endeavor, the end truly justifies the means.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
.. cant... resist... *brohoof*

The moment I saw Fluttershy squeak when Twilightsparkle asked her name, I was sold on the show.

I think hearts have been looking for something like this, never have I seen such a nice, frankly awesome bunch of people as the bronies.

Here's a couple of links:
Equestria Daily
Flankbook

I see rainbooms..

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
On The Hoof

*Brohoof* right back atcha!

Although technically I don't actually style myself a brony, since I tend to avoid self-labeling wherever I can. However, I have very high regard for the brony community and tremendously appreciate what the Brony Phenomenon stands for, has already achieved, and may achieve in the future.

I firmly believe this warm, kind-hearted show brings out the best in people, and consider bronies living proof of that.

So perhaps it's more accurate to consider me a fan and kindred spirit of bronies, and I certainly don't have any problem with that.

Meanwhile, Back In Equestria...

I suppose it's fairly obvious to any reader of this slow-moving thread in a quiet corner of ATS, but until recently I hadn't really appreciated how much my fondness for this show has grown into a hobby.

While I don't collect MLP toys or anything like that, I do collect fan art, and with practice, have become rather skilled at navigating past the Rule 34's and "shipping" material to acquire some of the truly amazing fan art that's out there. Going forward, as my time and interests dictate, I may start posting some of the finer specimens to this thread.

In the meantime, in the upcoming weeks I'm thinking of posting a series of character spotlights that cover various members of the cast in detail.

For anyone wondering, I have adopted a deliberately slow pace for this thread and consider it a long-term project. It will presumably taper off and "die" after a while, but like the proverbial phoenix, may rise again from the ashes when Season 2 (which has already finished production) finally begins to air.

Also, since we're moving out of introduction territory and into a more in-depth examination of Ponydom, I figure I should make sure not to ruin anyone's pony experience:

SPOILER WARNING

This thread is now officially open to plot spoilers, revelations and surprises that may be found in any episode of the show. Readers who have not seen the entire first season may wish to refrain from reading further. Meanwhile, contributors to this thread are welcome to discuss any aspect of the show without worrying about revealing spoilers. This thread is now wide open -- at least in the sense of discussing ponies, of course. Just to be sure...

IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE ENTIRE FIRST SEASON OF FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, STOP HERE OR PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

And with that, let it be known that I do plan to discuss some rather spoilerific topics in upcoming posts.

Pony insiders, this thread's for you!

edit on 8/7/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The Tears Of A Clown

One of the reasons I am so fond of Friendship is Magic is that the show is loaded with far more surprises than I ever expected, and what might seem predictable at first glance is often just the prelude to another surprise.

Fig. 1: What's really going on behind that smile?

When I first started watching the series, Pinkie Pie stood out as my least favorite character, one I frankly found rather aggravating and never expected to warm up to. Although I understood she was the designated comic relief, she seemed to become ever more irritating with each passing episode.

And then, late in the season, something amazing happened. After watching Episode 23: The Cutie Mark Chronicles, my opinion of Pinkie Pie changed forever.

While her reliability as a narrator is always in question, Pinkie Pie's tale about her life on the rock farm was so endearing and added so much more depth to her character that I actually felt a little guilty for my previous attitude toward her.

Fig. 2: Pinkie Pie as a young rocker. Tragically adorable.

It is in this episode that we learn her full name: Pinkamena Diane Pie. Hearing that the first time was such a surprise I almost fell out of my chair laughing. It's just so classic, and there is so much implied by that name.

The portrayal of her previously dull, cheerless life on the farm makes a convincing case for her perpetually buoyant, frenetic behavior. It's as if she's making up for lost time, rebelling against her drab fillyhood by insisting on always being happy.

Ah, but the FiM writers don't stop there, and that's where the true genius of her character really shines through.

Because no matter how outrageous or random Pinkie Pie may be, just below that happy-go-lucky facade the persona fans have come to know as "Pinkamena" is always lurking.

Fig. 3: Pinkie Pie suspects subterfuge.

And oh, what a persona she is.

Dark Night Of The Foal

It is not until the penultimate episode of the season, Episode 25: Party of One, that we are introduced to the "real" Pinkamena, but it's worth the wait, because the sheer glorious, psychotic awesomeness of her presence is one of the show's crowning moments.

Fig. 4: Pinkie Pie thinks her friends are all lying to her
and avoiding her because they don't like her parties
and they don't want to be her friends anymore.

As flippant and unflappable as Pinkie Pie normally is, she is always masking her underlying insecurities. We see some of this in earlier episodes where she is somewhat fanatical about keeping promises, and especially about keeping friends' secrets. Indeed, "fanatical" may be too light a word for it.

More than anything, Pinkie Pie cannot stand the thought of betrayal, and the idea of not having friends is so terrifying to her that when she thinks the other members of the "mane cast" have forsaken her, she goes so far as to make up new imaginary friends to fill the void.

Fig. 5: Pinkamena throws a party for her new "friends".

It is at this point that Pinkie Pie/Pinkamena begins to behave in a manner that is genuinely psychotic in the textbook sense of the word. She actually hallucinates and indulges in the delusion that her new imaginary friends are, in fact, real.

It's a disturbing yet comical display as she converses and debates with a bucket of turnips, a puff of lint, a sack of flour and a pile of rocks -- each given names. Her conversations are, of course, externalizations of her inner conflicts, but it's safe to say that she has, by now, crossed over from psychotic euphoria to psychotic dysphoria.

The visual cue for the emergence of Pinkamena is the singular way in which Pinkie Pie's hair straightens from its normally curly, cotton-candy puffiness. But even without that cue, the personality change would be obvious.

Single Pink Female

That's because for many aspects of Pinkie Pie's cheerful, easygoing personality, Pinkamena is the polar (or bipolar) opposite.

Pinkamena isn't cheerful. Pinkamena isn't easygoing. Pinkamena has attitude, and it's best not to become the object of her ire -- which is easier said than done.

Fig. 6: Pinkamena is not amused.

In truth, despite Pinkamena's intensity, she's still Pinkie Pie beneath it all, and we see constant reminders of her sorrow and inner turmoil. But that just reinforces the aura of anger and angst that characterizes her distress.

So different and dramatic is the character shift that Pinkamena has her own distinct fan following. Meanwhile, more general Pinkie Pie fans celebrate Pinkamena as irrefutable proof that their favorite character isn't just some one-dimensional cookie-cutter knock-off.

And indeed, knowing what I now know about Pinkamena, my second viewing of Season 1 was much different from my first, and I see Pinkie Pie in a whole new light.

Now she seems more like a sympathetic, heroic figure than "the Scrappy" or a thin, vacuous comic distraction. With the added depth that Pinkamena brings to her personality, Pinkie Pie clearly deserves her role as a main character and can hold her own against any of the other ponies.

At long last I've made peace with and appreciate Pinkie Pie, and you know what?

She's all right.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Hi Majic

I have some questions for you...hope you dont mind

What is your fave MLP
What is the rarest MLP you own
Do you customise any (and do you keep them)
Have you a website for this....
Do you find the Ponyville ponies kinda scary

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Get Along, Little Ponies!

reply to post by CherryV

I certainly don't mind answering questions, they are always welcome.

As for your first questions, I don't collect the dolls, don't customize them, don't have a website for them and am not too familiar with anything prior to "G4", so I can't really speak to that.

I do watch Friendship is Magic, and although I am very fond of the show, I also recognize that MLP has been around for almost 30 years, that G1-G3 have their own fandom, and very much respect that. I also understand that fans of the pre-G4 toys may not be so thrilled about G4, and respect that as well.

As for finding the new G4 ponies "scary", overall I don't, but as noted above, Pinkie Pie can be rather scary, and (ironically) Fluttershy as well (more on that later). I also wonder why Princess Celestia dolls have a pink coat instead of white like on the show, but oh well.

I know if you're used to the earlier models, the new look may seem somewhat jarring, but in their defense, I offer that their corresponding characters on the show are all pretty nice (except for Nightmare Moon and The Great And Powerful Trixie, but that's what fans love about them).

Best Of Breed

Finally, though I know you were referring to the dolls, not the TV characters, I will volunteer that my favorite Friendship is Magic character is somewhat tied between Rainbow Dash and Princess Celestia.

Fig. 1: Rainbow Dash. Yes, she *is* all that.

Rainbow Dash (the reincarnation of Firefly for MLP traditionalists) is immensely popular among male viewers because she's so over-the-top radical and has many traits considered "masculine". I will confess that when watching the show, I often forget she's a "girl pony" because of that.

What's really neat about this potential gender confusion is that it is very deliberate on the part of Lauren Faust. She wants it to be okay for girls to be radical and energetic and pursue goals that are traditionally reserved exclusively for males, and at the same time makes it clear that they don't have to surrender their femininity by doing so.

The fact that Rainbow Dash is a super-athletic flyer who can break the sound barrier (and is the only pony known to have done so in all of Equestria), yet still doesn't mind doing "girly" things like makeovers and wearing even "frou-frou" dresses, is frankly rather awesome, and makes the point beautifully.

Fig. 2: Princess Celestia. As a de facto god-empress
who has the power to make the sun and moon rise
and set, she probably doesn't actually need guards,
but they make a nice fashion accessory.

Princess Celestia is, of course, designed to be regal and fills the part quite well. She serves as a mother figure and role model for all the ponies and I admire that quality in any character, fictional or otherwise. She is always patient and kind, and never loses her cool.

But what I really like about her is that she is also quite the prankster, so much so that many fans have nicknamed her "Trollestia" in recognition of not only her more obvious pranks, but her somewhat Machiavellian (or Socratic, if that seems too harsh) schemes that are calculated to help Twilight Sparkle and her friends grow as characters.

It's a wonderfully clever element of the show, and one of the reasons Celestia (I would prefer she bear the title of "Queen", but oh well) is currently tied for my favorite MLP:FiM character, despite how little air time she actually gets in the series.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too much of what you weren't looking for.

Just sayin'

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Thank you for your answers
and I just wondered, because I do have a few ponies I was wanting to customise about 3 years ago
the poor things are bald and symbol-less but I dont actually collect them, just fancied to try and fix up a couple of tlc ones I picked up as I felt sorry for them.

I love your thread, I love the shows too and thank you for putting this up and all the work on it, its great to find something fun and bright and enjoyable

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well gosh, thanks!

I realize my obsession with the show might seem odd or perhaps pathological, but God knows there are far worse things to fixate on in this world.

And for what it's worth, I don't eat, drink and sleep ponies.

I just really love the show and don't mind saying so.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
*delurk*

Hahaaa.. Ace! *brohoof*

As a 38 year old bloke, I can happily confirm that MLP is *awesome*.

I've always been happy to aknolwedge my daft, fluffy side anyway. Show me a pusscat any kind of fluffy animal and I'm the first to go utterly stupid and derpy-eyed about it but.. A friend of mine suggested I should give MLP a go. "Not the older cartoons, they're just adverts. This one, it's different.. You'll love it..."

Ok, I don't watch TV much, I download/rip DVDs to my PC and watch what I want when I want, and having a load of animated stuff that I really enjoyed anyway which may not have a late 30s male target audience in mind anyway (Spongebob, Pinky & the Brain amongst others) I thought. Well, why the hell not. The premise is good, cutesy ponies and bright colours. Sounds good already, if only just for a "switch off brain after a long days work and go Ahhhhh.." thing.

What I didn't plan for is the plot and character developments. I was hooked after a couple of episodes...

The style of animation is pleasing to the eye, the stories are pleasing to the mind. Good, playful and rather addictive fun. In a world with so much crap going on, it's just nice to be able to enjoy something as charming and as fun as this. My masculinity still feels quite intact too, thank you very much....

I've reccommended the show to others, which has gotten me some strange looks seeing as I'm a 6ft tall long haired bearded fella, but I don't care. My ego can take it, it's not inflated enough to be popped by others anyway...

I can feel an avatar change coming on. No-one, I mean *no-one* can Yay like Fluttershy...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Quiet Riot

*brohoof!*

Part of the fun of being an MLP:FiM fan is jousting with Neighsayers who have never actually seen the show, but assume anyone who would like it that isn't a little girl must be some sort of weirdo.

Now granted, I'm not ruling out the idea that I am some sort of weirdo, I'm just saying it's not because I like Friendship is Magic.

Anyway, it's great to have you "delurk" and chime in, and I note you have already upgraded your avatar with some Fluttershy goodness.

Seems a bit small, though, so if you don't mind a different font, closer shot and "yay" placement, I offer this 170x170 image as an avatar, if you like:

Here's the URL you can copy/paste into your account settings:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

And for the record, Fluttershy is positively priceless in that scene, which also happens to be the opener for one of the best episodes of the season, a favorite of fans, staff and even Lauren Faust herself...

[color=#D52F3B]SON[color=#DF6431]IC[color=#F6F9AC] RA[color=#62C947]IN[color=#229FC9]BO[color=#983DD9]OM!

An episode built entirely of win. Hmm, I may have to do a long-winded article on that.

But I'll include pictures to take the edge off.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Look man, I like you, I like reading your stuff.

So I hope you won't take it the wrong way when I say...this thread represents the grim triumph of forty years of feminist mis-education in America.

Just sayin'.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm still new to the series, due to real world time constraints (episode four so far) but I'm absolutely enchanted with the resurgence of the Pony Phenomenon!

Surprisingly well written and excellently drawn and animated!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Firstly, I was enjoying the thread until I came to the part about someone or something having a remarkable ability to find "truckloads", I believe it was, of gems.

I became so distracted by the thought of having this ability, that I apparently took a flight of fantasy, imagining that I too, might somehow obtain such an ability, perhaps by downloading a program for it, if anyone knows of a such a link? I would very much like to find a truckload of gems, or actually, would settle for a medium size wheelbarrow, or small would be okay, too.

Secondly, I will start my reading over again. I wish to learn the full wisdom of the ponies, as this has been an area obviously neglected in my education, if not completely unwittingly omitted.

edit on 8/7/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: faceted is preferred, but I certainly won't rule out gems in the rough.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
What She Said

Originally posted by silent thunder
So I hope you won't take it the wrong way when I say...this thread represents the grim triumph of forty years of feminist mis-education in America.

Well I don't take offense, if that's your concern.

As for mis-education, I can flatly say that while I do consider myself a feminist (and have for quite some time) and make no apologies for that, I take strong exception to some of the more radical and misguided aspects of the movement and agree with many of the criticisms it richly deserves.

Specifically, I utterly reject the notion that feminism requires women to become more like men, or to hate or otherwise demonize men, not become mothers or otherwise abandon womanhood. Extremists grab the bullhorn and get the spotlight, but I don't agree with any of that nonsense at all.

I'm a feminist because I believe women fully deserve an equal place in society, with all the rights, privileges and respect attendant thereto. That doesn't mean I support forcefully shoehorning women into mens' roles or vice versa, refusing to acknowledge the distinctive qualities of each sex or any other such silliness.

It simply means I oppose discrimination or oppression under law, religion or culture against women as strongly as I oppose discrimination or oppression under law, religion or culture against men.

I support personal freedom and liberty for everyone, regardless of gender (or any other qualities, for that matter). No more, no less.

That does include recognizing the rights of both men and women to pursue lives of their choosing, including lives that might traditionally be seen as "gender-inappropriate", but as their wills, abilities and spirits dictate, I firmly believe it's their choice to make.

By its nature, the underlying messages woven into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic mesh quite well with beliefs I have held for a very long time, so it should come as no surprise that I find within it the words and works of a kindred spirit.

Granted, there's a whole lot more worms in that can, and I could go on about it forever (as I'm sure my OP proves adequately enough), but I hope that at least conveys the gist of where I'm coming from on that.

Anyway, all that aside (but hopefully giving some background), I think characterizing this thread as representing a "grim triumph of forty years of feminist mis-education in America" is either tongue-in-cheek or utterly misses the mark -- or maybe even both.

I really don't think any form of mis-education is in play here, only misunderstanding, perhaps.

In A Nutshell

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
Surprisingly well written and excellently drawn and animated!

I probably could have just made that my OP and saved a whole lot of trouble.

A Girl's Best Friend

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Firstly, I was enjoying the thread until I came to the part about someone or something having a remarkable ability to find "truckloads", I believe it was, of gems.

I know it must have seemed like I was exaggerating, but...

Fig. 1: Gems courtesy of Lady Rarity.

Granted, in this case we're looking at cartloads versus truckloads, or wheelbarrow-loads, for that matter, but to become too fixated on that point might be putting the cart before the pony, as it were.

The main thing is that when it comes to pretty much anything related to Rarity, gems are involved, and usually in abundance. Along with dressmaking and other fashion-related concerns, it's kind of her thing. That she does.

As for finding all those gems, the secret is to be a magical unicorn whose life is devoted to the divine cause of fabulosity.

Fig. 2: It's all in the horn.

As you can see, there's really nothing to it, especially in the gem-strewn landscapes of Equestria.

Well okay, actually, on that note, I did exaggerate somewhat. While Rarity does have the ability to find startling amounts of gems (all of which are conveniently pre-cut and polished, by the way), there is some unique talent involved, and Equestria really isn't built on a substrate of them, at least in a geological sense. So let's chalk that bit of hyperbole up to artistic license.

But when it comes to gems, Rarity is your little pony, and she is known to hold forth at the Carousel Boutique, where everything is chic, unique and magnifique.

edit on 8/8/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join