It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greed takes another step forward, Verizon ditches unlimited data plan.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

No, it is just the iPhone. The iPhone with Verizon is a new thing. Ever since they allowed iPhone users to switch to Verizon, many people jumped the AT&T ship and then swamped the Verizon ship. Now they found out that iPhone users are generally data hogs, so they are raising prices.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Good thread........ another illustration of Corporation manipulation of the public.......

They try to get everyone on smartphones and ''addicted'' to Data supply and then increase pricing to help their withering bottomline...........

My advice is use a mobile phone as a mobile phone............. Twitter, Facebook, and all the associated crap that goes with a smartphone are ALL distractions form the real world we all live in....

Go and live your live and NOT live a data stream....

Regards

PDUK

PS - Iuse a NOKIA 6303 ............ it makes and recieves phone calls......brilliant, and i run a succesful medical supplies business..

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Thanks for sharing this. I usually review my agreements from time to time to see if there are any changes coming and if I don't agree with it, I usually just call em on it and it either stays the same or they offer me a better deal or I walk away clean.

But after reading the article that the OP posted, it also states the following:

Under the new system, existing Verizon customers will be able to keep their unlimited data plan, even if they upgrade their phones on or after July 7.
Which means my rates won't change even if I use 30GB per month. Even though on average I'm only at 900MB per month.

Currently (July 6th) their site shows still $29.99 per month for data plans as being unlimited. -- I'll check it again tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

This is one of the biggest problems with people these days. Everyone's seemed to ditch the "greater good" mentality and adopted a "better them than me" mentality.

I have a Verizon unlimited data plan that will stay the same after the change, yet I am still angry with this change.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Another thing, and I may have hinted at it earlier but I will elaborate more. Speaking of costs. Why do companies make proprietary components when something "open-sourced" has already been created, tried and true. There are instances where proprietary components are essential to the corporation. However, something that is as basic as a cell phone charger, why are there thousands of proprietary chargers on the market that do the exact same thing but will only fit a single model of a phone. But yet, they increase costs by putting some crazy designed connector on it, just to force people to buy it from the company that made it. It still works the exact same as the others on the market, just a different connector that is proprietary to the company that designed it. It is things like this that destroys the economy and environment.

But, "as long as I get mine, who cares."

edit on 6-7-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HologramDenier
If you have a smart phone and use this much data, you deserve to pay through your nose for it. Basically it means you are a moron. Try being social. Look up from your phone and talk to people around you. You dont need to be constantly accessing all this data.

You are out of line calling people a moron. Knock it off. I like to use my smartphone to surf the Internet and also to enjoy watching DirecTV programming through my Slingbox. Namecalling is not going to get you anywhere in this forum. Please be cordial contributing to the knowledge in this thread.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by Skewed

Bandwidth is only "limited" because the companies set the limit.

Setting up the initial infrastructure is vastly more cost prohibitive than expanding it.

The companies are greedy in this regard. Instead of expanding infrastructure, they would rather keep what they have now, not spend anymore money, and jack the price up.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
reply to post by wyldwylly

I have a Verizon unlimited data plan that will stay the same after the change, yet I am still angry with this change.

I agree, I think it's totally silly paying what we pay these days for a phone that ain't so smart, at least not after updates anyway....

I enjoy having full access all the time wherever, on the hawg, in the cage. It's just my personal preference. I accepted the price for the unlimited when they offered it to me last October. Though at that time I thought it was still rather expensive. But sadly my monthly unlimited data-plan is only 1/4 of my monthly bill.

If they can't get you in certain places (like us pre-existing customers) then they'll stick it to ya someplace else, like in fees or calling plans or texting plans or maybe they'll throw a service on your plan that's "nice to have" but won't tell you about the fees associated with it. In example: I had an app on my phone that's called, VZ Navigator.. it's a GPS app. It cost'ed an extra $20 on my plan if I used it. However the Sales Person used it to show it to me after I bought the service... which activated it on my plan, which forced me to pay an extra 20 bucks per month. At first I thought it was part of my plan until I did some extra investigation into what exactly I was paying for that was worth paying the $131.50 per month... well it wasn't it was just an added feature. So I removed it from my plan and from my phone with a nice little b*out session to customer service.

So the way I see it, they gonna get what they want no matter what.

If Verizon said ALL Customers will change... then I would change, I'd cancel my service and just use the WiFi in places that are just about everywhere, I can still stay in contact with people via Bookface, Email or Skype.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Good point, maybe it is a matter of worrying about being overwhelmed with more broadband devices and not having the money to increase the resources needed. The increased price may control the growth.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Skewed

Not necessarily true. Yes, the bandwidth limits can be controlled by the company.

However, the equipment itself has its own limits, granted, the limits are more than what the company sets for the customers to use. This is called throttling.

A switch, router, network cable, whatever, it can be filled up with data and bring everything to its knees.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Reply to post by HologramDenier

The job I have requires me to sit by my lonesome for 4 to 10 hours at a time at least twice a week. I also stream an internet radio station while I drive because what I prefer to listen to is not offered on terrestrial in my area. Nevermind the fact that a lot of the times I have to use GPS to get where I am going.

I use about 3 gigs a month.

So tell me how to take my face out of my phone and be social while I am literally by myself.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 7/6/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Skewed

Not necessarily true.

Actually, it is quite true.

If it where not true, then the whole world would be having the same issue. They are obviously not.

Yes, the bandwidth limits can be controlled by the company.

They are controlled.

However, the equipment itself has its own limits, granted, the limits are more than what the company sets for the customers to use. This is called throttling.

A switch, router, network cable, whatever, it can be filled up with data and bring everything to its knees.

That is exactly what I am talking about.

They do not want to expand the equipment so that they can say that there is a "limit." This makes people think that bandwidth is in short supply, so the company has the backing of the customer to raise prices by using the rules of supply/demand.

The problem is that the supply is artificially held back to create a demand, which "justifies" the rise in price.
edit on 7/6/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Boost Mobile, 50$/mo unlimited, and I've had a smart phone with them since before they offered them. Took a bit of ingenuity, but it's pretty easy

Boost now offers the Samsung Galaxy (Prevail), and while it's not super equipped I'm sure you can root it and turn it into a nice phone.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

Yeah but how is the service with Boost Mobile? Never met anyone that used it. Is it on par with Verizon in terms of network speed?

A lot of providers have a plan like $40 a month for unlimited calls, text, and data... but the network is so slow it takes 5 minutes for each webpage to load.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
reply to post by b3l13v3

Yeah but how is the service with Boost Mobile? Never met anyone that used it. Is it on par with Verizon in terms of network speed?

A lot of providers have a plan like $40 a month for unlimited calls, text, and data... but the network is so slow it takes 5 minutes for each webpage to load.

Wow. So you cry a river because of costs.
You are then offered an alternative to keep costs under control and you cry about that.

All I see here really is a bunch of people, flailing their arms about, pissing and moaning because what they want is increasing in price. And most really have no clue as to how the network operates.

This is the basic reason why we are circling the drain. It is the 'it just works' mentality for most, with no want or need for a basic understanding of how a business or network operates.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
prepaid is the way to go baby no contract . virgin mobole has a 150 dollar android fone that has unlimited every thing for 60 bucks a month and with a free app from android market i can use it to tether my lap top .in area where i live i get good speed on it even running laptop internet is pretty good
edit on 7-7-2011 by proteus33 because: forgot something

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Exactly right, they are like drug pushers. I used to be a sales manager for VZ dub, but not gonna get into that.

I'm seriously considering going back to a pager. Full circle baby

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Good news for existing Verizon account holders with unlimited bandwidth for $30.00, I spoke to a Verizon customer service agent yesterday who told me that I would not be forced to go to the new tiered bandwidth charges when my contract expires. The new tiered charges are applicable to new accounts/devices/numbers established after July 7. This is a relief for the time being.
edit on 7/9/2011 by ontarff because: additional text.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
So basically, they're a lot like drug pushers.

First, they get everybody hooked on their gadgety smartphones by offering "unlimited data" (free samples), 4G speeds, TV anywhere, you-can-always-be-connected-24-7, and then all of a sudden....Oh, you want THAT MUCH data? Well, OK, but that's going to cost you...

I'm so glad I never hopped on the smartphone bandwagon.

And I'M so glad I upgraded to a smartphone 2 months ago... Phew! Upgrade = new 2 yr contract = I got 22 months of unlimited usage.... May 2013 So I should be good until the apocalypse. If theres no apocalypse then I bet Verizon will change their ways by then... They just like to play dumb for about a year and suck up some money from all the new customers because they know they are a hot ticket item right now. But if they are really gonna price it like you said, I don't know if most people will just take it.
edit on 11-7-2011 by ZackMorris because: to say, I almost forgot I was gonna say, I think verizons tried something like this before, and i got lucky that time and kept my unlimited. but thats why i think this is temporary unless all the companies really are gonna finally agree to not do unlimited anymore... but, how could they? in this economy noones gonna afford it... seems dumb to me. There are some ok PrePaid phones with Unlimited deals. Check Virgin mobile and Boost mobile... there are others, now go... seek them! What you find just may change you into a new person, as far as mobile device decisions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join