It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposed bill S.978 is bad news!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
There's a newly proposed bill that makes videos of any copyrighted content into a felony. This is bad because if you record footage of something like a game or tutorial, it means that you could go to jail for up to 5 years.

Here's a video explaining it:

And a link detailing it.
www.govtrack.us...

What are your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
i doubt it will pass...do you have any idea how many people would end up in prison just for posting a youtube showing their badass killing spree on call of duty? what a crock of sh*t copyright laws are turning into...if they pass this they might as well pass a law that says if you even speak the name of a copyrighted material you have to serv 1 year in prison

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Is the prison/jail system in need of new customers?

Copyright violation is an issue, but a felony!!!!!

need to read up more on it.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Perhaps we are over
The law is aimed at people videotaping movies in the theater and distributing copies of the videotape online or on the street. It is not aimed at somebody posting their personal video game highlights on youtube.

Keep in mind the copyright laws have a well established fair use exception which allows someone to copy portions of a copyrighted work. For example, I could post 15 seconds of a 90 minute movie on my movie review log. A professor can quote an excerpt of a copyrighted book in a lecture or textbook. The fair use laws would also protect the person posting their personal video game highlights on youtube.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
WOW, a felony huh?

And Cali just released a buttload of inmates last month or so due to overcrowding.

This is just silly

new topics

top topics

join