It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planes with banners that read "God-LESS America" or "Atheism is Patriotic"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

As an atheist I can tell you from my perspective that it's not necessary at all and I find it a bit appalling even. It does not shed a good light on me or those who disagree with such activities for sure.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
He has every right to say as he intends. 100%
Same as me implying as to how and where in the family tree did his clan cross paths with the Fred Phelps bunch.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

I too don't understand how a banner saying "god less" American proves they are patriotic.

"God less America" is a play on words for the common patriotic phrase "God bless America". Obviously they could have come up with something else like "Atheists love America", but whoever paid for the sign must have liked the way "God less America" rolled off the tongue. What is important is not what the sign said, but the message it conveys....Atheists are just as American and patriotic as any theist.

I get it Aggie, but it still doesn't seem like an answer to their dilemma,

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BrandrTorny

How the Hell can atheism Not be American?

I never said any of those things

I asked how the banner proved patriotism, of course atheist are patriots too.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011

As an atheist I can tell you from my perspective that it's not necessary at all and I find it a bit appalling even. It does not shed a good light on me or those who disagree with such activities for sure.

Thank you Flint you are a breath of fresh air,

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Shawny2222

I'll admit that if I looked up in the sky and saw a banner with the caption "God-Less America",

If I hadn't read the article, I wouldn't have a clue it was an atheist group proving they are patriots, that's the only point I am trying to make.

edit on 093131p://bSaturday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Finally we have proof that atheists are a religion after all.

True, If like I said I didn't know that this was an artiest groups banner, and I doubt many people know about this, my first impression might be it was a Christian group admonishing the godless mess American had become.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

For sure, more power to him, but when people have a fit about the word god being removed then this should be scrutinized as well. I have no issues with him expressing himself. Just the context and behavior. Tolerance does not always equal silence I say.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

The signs they are talking about are a staple here in South Florida, up and down the beach. I'm sure we'll be one of the locations with this advertising out of the 17 that said yes to it! They're rather small and you have to look up to see them, so I don't see it ruining anyone's holiday, but I agree that it's tacky.

Oh well, free speech is messy.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by BrandrTorny
As such, it can be seen as infringement upon others rights, since the concept to abolish religion is quite clearly stated within those mere 3 words.!

What rights are being infringed upon? How is this infringing on the rights of others?

I said 'Can be Seen' as infringement, and not that it actually does. Why can it be Seen that way?...By who?...
By any and all who read those 3 words, "God-LESS America", and automatically assume that it's meant as a slogan to rally anyone who would support the cause of Abolishing religion. As I said, that concept seems to be clearly stated within the words alone. Whether that is the way it is meant or not won't even enter into it, for all those people will see is the idea behind the message...'God-LESS America'. For if the slogan said, "Atheism is Un-American", I'd say the same thing in the defense against this BS as well.
Everybody has the right to say what they want, this is True! But for True Liberty and True Freedom to really reign, Everyone needs to recognize their responsibilities to True Liberty and True Freedom...which is to uphold Not Only your Own liberties and freedoms, but Everyone Else's as well. How else can liberty and freedom really be for "All' unless it is inclusive of 'All'.
We are a nation of various races, creeds, cultures, religions, views, and opinions that make this country Great! But how can we expect that 'Great'-ness to continue if we allow it to be undermined by Ourselves.
edit on 3-7-2011 by BrandrTorny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

No, you did not directly say it.
However, for me, to question someones patriotism is the same as questioning whether they are American.
As far as being patriotic, it is...in the sense that they are expressing their right to 'Freedom of speech, choice, and religion.', on the day on which America 'Declared Independence'. As I see it, they are utilizing their freedoms in full view of the public as testament to those Rights! To me, that is simply a way of saying, "We are Americans, and we are celebrating our independence and freedom"! How more patriotic can you get?

However, I will apologize for allowing my emotions to get the better of me. For if not, I might have actually made that point earlier.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by Scoriada
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What's funny,oh noble german shepard, is that atheist belittle religious believers for "pushing" their religion on them yet they do the same thing!

Atheist=Democrats= hypocrites =FAIL

When did a atheist automatically become a democrat? Lets use your little saying once more.

Christians = Republicans = Ignorance & Intolerance = Fail

Intelligent = No Affiliation to any Party or Institution = Critical Thinking & Logic

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BrandrTorny

It's a pretty arrogant assumption to think that, because you INFERRED something from this sign, that all others will as well.

There is NOTHING in this that says ANYTHING negative about ANYONE ELSE. Any thought that it does is nothing but an INFERENCE on your part.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

My logic made perfect sense. You can't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension. I showed how it was worded solely to offend rather than getting their "point" across. If someone sees that statement only, they surely would not think to themselves "whoa atheists are patriotic!".

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by hxc408
reply to post by mb2591

My logic made perfect sense. You can't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension. I showed how it was worded solely to offend rather than getting their "point" across. If someone sees that statement only, they surely would not think to themselves "whoa atheists are patriotic!".

Yea i kinda jumped the gun by only reading the first part of your post. Nevertheless the "if its right it what would be commonly accepted among the people" is still wrong.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join