It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop Battery in or out? Leave plugged in 24/7?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hi, I was wondering if it is safe to leave the ac charger plugged in 24/7, battery at 100% charge 24/7. I ask because I saw something weird with my battery icon in the task bar, it said "plugged in, not charging". I did a google search and the answers I got were off the wall, lots of yes's and lots of no's, some maybe's, etc. It is not saying that anymore after I unplugged and plugged in the ac charger again. And ideas why it said that? And one more thing, is it safe to just run my laptop off the ac without the battery inside the comp? Thanks!

Deebo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Well it depends.. But you should be fine leaving the battery in. You probably got that message because you computer was doing something power intensive.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Slightly off topic- With my personal experience, if your battery is fully charged pull it out. Don't use your plugged in laptop with the battery fully charged, in the long run it will degrade it until it becomes useless.
edit on 30-6-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon102
Slightly off topic- With my personal experience, if your battery is fully charged pull it out. Don't use your plugged in laptop with the battery fully charged, in the long run it will degrade it until it becomes useless.

Thanks for the reply, that wasn't off topic, was one of the questions I asked.

Deebo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If you have your adapter plugged in at all times just remove the battery and save it for when you're on the go, it'll prevent it from degrading.

For instance my wife's two year old laptop could initially power the laptop for roughly two hours, now she's lucky to see a minute out of it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Taking out the battery also reduces the amount of heat within the laptop especially when you are doing more processor intensive tasks. Less heat = more performance in a intensive situation.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thanks guys I appreciate the help!

Deebo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
One more thing, may not be related to computer help but kinda, how come some avatar pics I try to post do not fit to screen in the little window? How do I shrink it to size to fit?

Deebo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon102

I agree; however, if it is a work laptop, then leave the battery in. It can be replaced at the employer's expense. However, if you experience a power outage and the battery is not attached to the laptop, then kiss your unsaved work goodbye. I say this from experience.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

Very good answer.

Never leave the battery if you are on AC power 24/7

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20424748edca.png[/atsimg]

Max size is 160 x 240 I think.

If that is wrong I can resize it for you. I cropped it to get the most of the image.

ETA: Just copy that.
edit on 30/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Actually I think it may be 170 X 240

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5eb1d313fa41.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
There is no reason to remove the battery.it wont over charge - been doin this stuff since 1980 -- frankly I have never run into that idea before -- ever.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Deebo

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20424748edca.png[/atsimg]

Max size is 160 x 240 I think.

If that is wrong I can resize it for you. I cropped it to get the most of the image.

ETA: Just copy that.

Actually I think it may be 170 X 240

Thanks man! Ill remember the size in the future..

Deebo

edit on 1-7-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

There is no reason to remove the battery.it wont over charge - been doin this stuff since 1980

No it won't overcharge, but the life of the battery will be very considerably shortened. If you have been doing this since 1980 (as I have as well) you should know that.

My recommendation for this actually is to remove the power and let the battery run down again. NiCad and LiOn batteries get a memory, although it is not quite as bad in LiOn. The more you power on and leave it running on power the faster it will deteriorate.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
ohhhh I just learned somethign, so if I have it plugged in, I can still take the battery out to use it and the laptop will still work.
forgive me, first time laptop owner.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Like I say has not been my experience. Batteries are consumables, they last a couple of years then replace them. There is even the component of wearing out the contacts.
edit on 2-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Defective batteries have been known to melt laptops. Here's a recent news item:

Beijing // June 4, 2011 (INU News) – Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard (HP) on Thursday (02/05) plans to take back as many as 78 740 units of laptop batteries, which are used in a series of HP and Compaq in China. Because the battery is already installed it a potential fire risk.

According to the statement of Product Quality Supervision Agency of China (AQSIQ), the batteries manufactured by LG Electronics between July 2007 and May 2008, has a defect that could cause the battery to overheat and melt until may result in fire.

The company also will replace the batteries free of charge. Previously, HP has also been pulled back about 15,000 battery units in May 2009 and about 19,573 batteries in May 2010 by reason of the same damage.

laptop

Anyone remember pictures such as this from defective batteries?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cffe680e27e.jpeg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join