It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salem II Nuke Plant in 'hot shutdown' mode.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
NJ.COM News

LOWER ALLOWAYS CREEK TWP. — The Salem Unit 2 nuclear plant remained shut down this afternoon following a problem with a reactor coolant pump, according to a spokesman for the plant’s operator.

Salem 2 automatically went offline Sunday at 6:01 p.m. when the coolant pump tripped, said Joe Delmar, spokesman for PSEG Nuclear.

When the pump shut down, the auxiliary pump system automatically started to provide water to cool the reactor.

The cause of the pump failure is still being investigated, according to Delmar. The plant functioned as designed, he said.

The plant remained in “hot shutdown” mode this afternoon

Delaware, New Jersey and Philly. I hope you all have your nuke pills ready just in case. We have ours. They were bought online from a survival store a few years ago. TPTB wouldn't pass any out here because we are (barely!!)outside the 10 mile zone.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
ANOTHER ONE!! how many is this now that is having problems 3 or 4??

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
it is always about cooling system failure isn't it ?

Stuxnet is a Microsoft Windows computer worm discovered in July 2010 that targets industrial software and equipment.

en.wikipedia.org...

Though American and Israeli officials refuse to talk publicly about what goes on at Dimona, the operations there, as well as related efforts in the United States, are among the newest and strongest clues suggesting that the virus was designed as an American-Israeli project

stuxnet worm used against iran

MEAT :

A senior member of the technical staff at one of our nation's largest and most prestigious national research laboratories indicated that a significant number of the nuclear facilities in the U.S. have modernized the controls for those auxiliary systems, and are now employing Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs).

According to the source, at least one facility specifically uses Siemens PLCs, the same type attacked by Stuxnet at Natanz in Iran.

If both the primary and redundant cooling components at that nuclear facility used PLCs and were hit with a Stuxnet-type attack that was able to cause physical damage to the equipment - we might witness events similar to those which are now playing out in Japan.

Granted, a Stuxnet-type attack would not also destroy roads and other infrastructure, or divert emergency response resources to other concerns. But, as far as the problems with cooling the reactor core, the challenges would be inherently similar.
(emphasize was mine)
japan, stuxnet & scada

time to find a house far, far away from any nuke plant... moon, mars... pick your planet

edit: can't post new threads but this article from March in infosecisland.com crossed with those recent events in the yankee plants would deserve its own thread... if anyone can find out that the cooling systems incriminated were indeed modernized to use logic controller
edit on 30-6-2011 by theHairInTheSoup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Published June 29, 2011
FoxNews.com

"Thanks to the jet stream air currents that flow across the Pacific Ocean, the U.S. is receiving a steady flow of radiation from Fukushima Daichi. And while many scientists say that the levels of contamination in food pose no significant threat to health, scientists are unable to establish any actual safe limit for radiation in food. Detection of radioactive iodine 131, which degrades rapidly, in California milk samples shows that the fallout from Japan is reaching the U.S. quickly."

"Milk, fruits and vegetables show trace amounts of radioactive isotopes from the Fukushima Daichi power plants, and the media appears to be paying scant attention, if any attention at all. It is as if the problem only involves Japan, not the vast Pacific Ocean, into which highly radioactive water has poured by the dozens of tons, and not into air currents and rainwater that carry radiation to U.S. soil and to the rest of the world."

"Radiation tests conducted since the nuclear disaster in Japan have detected radioactive iodine and cesium in milk and vegetables produced in California. According to tests conducted by scientists at the UC Berkeley Department of Nuclear Engineering, milk from grass fed cows in Sonoma County was contaminated with cesium 137 and cesium 134. Milk sold in Arizona, Arkansas, Hawaii, Vermont and Washington has also tested positive for radiation since the accident."

"Additionally, drinking water tested in some U.S. municipalities also shows radioactive contamination. Is the fallout from Fukushima Daichi falling on us? Yes, it is."

“Children are much more susceptible to the effects of radiation and stand a much greater chance of developing cancer than adults,” states Andrew Kanter, MD, president of PSR’s board. “So it is particularly dangerous when they consume radioactive food or water.”

www.abovetopsecret.com...
This thread is hidden, no one can't see so i post here ..
edit on 30-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bad Dog

Doesn't seem like anything to worry about. The plant is doing what it's supposed to and shut itself down without a problem.

Before I get burned to a stake for making that comment, all I mean is, I'd rather be alerted about a (possibly) minor error and the plant successfully shut down to repair itself, rather than wake up next morning and find a mushroom cloud over my city without a word prior.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
There is no such thing as coincidence. Our thoughts affect reality. The more we focus on these wars, economic down turns, and nuclear disasters...the more they will happen. Your thoughts are powerful beyond measure. Your thoughts control this reality, that was the deal. We can always think of solutions for things, never stop doing that, but don't focus on the negativity. The more we focus on it, the more it happens. Bad days tend to get worse, unless you change your attitude.

We can talk about it...but let's keep it positive. Let's be hopeful.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
maybe I'm just in a bad mood today but I almost hope something does go wrong over there - I'm so sick of the apathy in this area about fukushima radiation and issues at US nuclear facilities - as posted in the radiation thread, when I brought it up to some friends this morning the first response i got was "glad I live on the east coast" followed by eye rolls....
SLAP!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Curious, if something did happen, What would happen to a person that's 2 hours and 4 hours away from the plant? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The Suxtnet solution seems plausable......i think we should look into that option because we have aparently used it on another country whom we are not at war with(Iran) to their great detriment.Paybacks a bitch.
I always thought these acts of war have to be run by some overseeing agency, but it looks like all our resources and assets are being controlled from some other place than the seat of goverment.
What i mean to say is that the goverment is not in control of all of its agencies, and the rogue sections of these agencies do pretty much as they please.
What they are up to is anybodies guess.
Perhaps through all this and much more destabilising chaos to come, the Illumes plan to usurp the goverments of the world, but what kind of world will be left to inhabit after all this goes down?
It seems to me that all this fussing and fighting for power is degrading the whole ecosystem into a shadow of its robust former nature.
We are so intent on the power and wealth we are making the aquisition of same meaningless in the end.
What glory is their to being king of some shabby polluted, munghole of a planet, which is all thats gonna be left after the struggle for control is over.......
Next time you go back to town, perhaps a call into the local newspaper office would be informative......?
here must be somebody who knows why armed agents in black SUVs are crusin yer back streets.....
One possible senario has terrorists gathering radioactive wastes from an abandoned facility for the creation of a dirty bomb.(A dirty bomb would be very simple to construct, and would be horrific in a downtown location of any city, with a potential for hundreds of thousands of casualties.Set off in a subway or other crowded faclity, it may contaminate it so as to betotally unusable for some time as well.) If there is some old nuke facility in the area, then that could be the potential cause of the invasion.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bad Dog

America needs an energy user bill of rights!! This could be pushed by Lieberman and McCain. Basically it would say that the consumer had no rights. But they could be charged more to clean up aging nuke plants and coal ash.

Also, smart meters to cut your power. Energy inspections, with fines. These are your rights America!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Bad Dog

The cause of the pump failure is still being investigated, according to Delmar. The plant functioned as designed, he said.
I would guess it has something to do with FBI agents and bolt cutters.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm questioning Stuxnet myself. Too many plant having problems within such a short timeframe.

new topics

top topics

join