It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Scientist.

page: 40
<< 37  38  39   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck
Best thread in a while.
See, this is why I love ATS.

If you come on here and say you are a theoretical physicist,
you damn well better be a theoretical physicist.

You love ATS because of the needless onslaught of people bashing a new poster?

Some guy, who claims to be an expert in his field, comes to ATS and offers help by offering to answer physics related questions for those who have them. Some people took him up on his offer. And many others decided just to relentlessly attack him.

Is this the best ATS has to offer?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

FWIW, I agree with your comments about string theory being perturbative. That is my understanding too. However, I am not up with the latest, so simply can't be sure about that.

The OP actually made that point himself, however. But then he seemed to contradict it with his statement that string theory was definitely true. He seemed to mean it in the sense that he felt it absolutely had to be true (to high confidence) on account of the way the mathematics works out. Well, he wouldn't be the first string theorist to espouse that view. Whether academics from *other* fields would accept that though, I don't know. Probably not.

It is absolutely not a surprise to me that he says categorically that there is no soul and that science has no need for God. I bet that is a common position amongst string theorists.

What I am personally trying to figure out is whether he's getting his knowledge from someone else. For example, he could easily post the questions here to a string theory forum, dolly them up and post the best of the answers back here.

For the record, my *gut* tells me he's for real. But a number of actual hoaxes on ATS fooled me before. So far, not any that claimed to be scientists though.

I do strongly feel that either he is a very clever hoaxer, or he is an actual academic deliberately pulling everyone's chain. But I admit there are other possibilities.

I actually got a lot of mileage out of the link to the John Titor archive. That guy sure had me puzzled. He's a very obvious hoax. But he sure knew about time machines. You can gain most of that knowledge from Stephen Hawking's book "A short history of time". But you have to be paying pretty close attention. Anyhow, I assume *that* subject is off topic. But thanks to whoever posted the link to that. I found it *highly* amusing.

edit on 27-6-2011 by XtraTL because: Apostrophe's matter -- my gardener told me so

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaelMan82

Originally posted by Gooseygander
reply to post by MaelMan82

he has made alot of claims, 911 i dispute his presumption it wasnt inside job. I would love his science to convince me otherwise.

I know he has made a lot of claims - i've read the entire thread. I also disagree with his assertion towards 9/11 in agreement with you. So far, you and I don't have an undergrad physics degrees i'm guessing.

I don't need him to use his science to convince me otherwise - i'm confident in my belief about 9/11.
edit on 27-6-2011 by MaelMan82 because: (no reason given)

And that's fine, the OP never claimed to be an expert on conspiracy theories, or terrorism, or claimed to be an insider for the CIA. People asked him his opinion on things, and he gave it. Opinions, which are not facts, were not meant to conclusively make your mind up for you one way or another on 911. For you to toss aside the OPs credentials on something unrelated to the OT is completely unfair.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I just want to say how much I'm enjoying seeing all of your squabble.

There's always talk about believers inability to convert non-believers because they are ignorant and mislead.

Are we being the non-believers in this case?
edit on 27-6-2011 by mahoosta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by Moduli

it is usually the position of the naysayers that quantum coherence is a property of the sub-atomic scale exclusively.

That's a common misconception. As the OP already pointed out, the important thing here is state space. In a macroscopic system, the number of possible states is massive. There is no microscopic/macroscopic cutoff. There is only the limit beyond which coherence is improbable.

Originally posted by tgidkp
however, it is well known that a positive feedback loop is capable of amplifying perturbations to the limits of a physical system. considering this, is it plausible that the human nervous system could be a closed feedback loop which is capable of maintaining a macro-level coherent state of its constituent atomic-level electron interactions?

No, that is not possible. However, I suspect the OP might have said yes it is possible. He'd be right. If you read my paragraph above, you'll see why.

Disclaimer: I am not a physicist.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightATL

Originally posted by MaelMan82

Originally posted by Gooseygander
reply to post by MaelMan82

he has made alot of claims, 911 i dispute his presumption it wasnt inside job. I would love his science to convince me otherwise.

I know he has made a lot of claims - i've read the entire thread. I also disagree with his assertion towards 9/11 in agreement with you. So far, you and I don't have an undergrad physics degrees i'm guessing.

I don't need him to use his science to convince me otherwise - i'm confident in my belief about 9/11.

And that's fine, the OP never claimed to be an expert on conspiracy theories, or terrorism, or claimed to be an insider for the CIA. People asked him his opinion on things, and he gave it. Opinions, which are not facts, were not meant to conclusively make your mind up for you one way or another on 911. For you to toss aside the OPs credentials on something unrelated to the OT is completely unfair.

I think you misunderstood my reply.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightATL

Originally posted by dethduck
Best thread in a while.
See, this is why I love ATS.

If you come on here and say you are a theoretical physicist,
you damn well better be a theoretical physicist.

You love ATS because of the needless onslaught of people bashing a new poster?

Some guy, who claims to be an expert in his field, comes to ATS and offers help by offering to answer physics related questions for those who have them. Some people took him up on his offer. And many others decided just to relentlessly attack him.

Is this the best ATS has to offer?

come on you must be cheering with us...

you know what it means being beaten at home from a hoaxer?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Dude's gonna be supah pissed when he sees this in the Hoax bin
Probably prove to him once and for all we are just a bunch of loonies who don't like the 'truth' and won't come back to continue his discussion.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mahoosta

It seems Mr scientist you have attracted the dis info agents. You talked your truth, but never seen so much disinfo so quickly, Be Brave sir.

I still want a 911 answer from a quantum science bloke, have had my time with structural engineers who "pull" buildings for a living...

If you don't want to post send a message

Brian

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
i forgot to post this Epic Mega I Am thread..

Warnings From The Benevolents!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by heineken
i forgot to post this Epic Mega I Am thread..

Warnings From The Benevolents!

el oh el

Thanks for this - this is hilarious.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Cheers to people like Laokin and CLPrime for showing up and quickly dismissing this chap.

Well, as Laokin just stated, the answer to his problem was posted by him. You guys can't really judge yet if my problem is legitimate, as I haven't posted the solution... mainly because the solution is something that needs to be arrived at, rather than posted outright. I assure you, though, if the OP fails to satisfactorily answer my question, I will post the solution.

Thanks for what you have done in this thread both you and Laokin, it's people like you that can stop a conman.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinquain
Dude's gonna be supah pissed when he sees this in the Hoax bin
Probably prove to him once and for all we are just a bunch of loonies who don't like the 'truth' and won't come back to continue his discussion.

I doubt he'll come back to the thread (happy to be wrong on this though). However, one thing is for sure, he can sure take it. He came in all guns blazing and knew precisely what to expect. He even stated categorically that he got exactly what he expected.

He's a robust guy, not the sort that is gonna be put off by a bunch of loonies as you call us.

If he's an academic, you can multiply this by a hundred. Academics do not draw their self worth from stars and flags on a forum for the "long tail". They get their giggles from conferences and papers on ridiculously abstract matters which they and three other people in the world understand. Their support network is a small mutual appreciation society. So the reality is, this guy doesn't care one iota what anyone here thinks about him. He's not looking for validation of his learning. He'll check his bank balance and note it didn't go down and laugh. That is assuming of course that he is who he claims to be.

I'm gonna laugh myself silly if the guy turns out to be Lee Smolin or Michio Kaku or Leonard Susskind.

*If* he's for real, I already have an idea which university he's from.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Again.......
Discussing staff action is Off Topic and it will be removed. This is not a new rule.
Contact staff to discuss staff action.
Use the Complaint Form to complain about staff actions.

Mod Note: Post On Topic – Please Review This Link.
edit on June 27th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Closing the thread until we receive some indication the thread author is willing to continue. No matter his standing as an actual scientist or not, the overwhelming amount of questions/replies since his last post has created a nearly impossible situation for anyone to address.

top topics

<< 37  38  39   >>

join