It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freedom.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

People die over drug wars trying to get you what you want to enjoy your freedom. If people such as yourself did not want these we wouldn't have as many problems with this as we do. Because there is a demand from people like you drugs permeate our society and make their way to children who become hooked and the whole thing spirals out of control.

As randomtangentsrme pointed out, it is prohibition that creates violence around the drug trade. Today we are sold alcohol (world's most popular drug) by legitimate businesses. During alcohol prohibition the supply of alcohol was controlled by the gangs. It's the same for all drugs. Cannabis doesn't kick in the door at 4am and shoot your dog. It was amusing that someone would attempt to argue that freedom is not a positive thing though.

reply to post by ExCommando

Don't work, don't take benefits, don't be a part of the "law" that provides the foundation to the life you get to live now (ie the house over your head, food in your stomach).

You're mistaking law with the economy. Laws and restrictions in no way help the economy, only hinder it. It is America's economic success which provides the high quality of life we enjoy, not its anti-freedom laws. You cannot argue that countries with little or unstable governance must automatically have superpower economies. It doesn't work like that.

A lot of those laws were passed to keep people who are impaired and irresponsible from endangering us. I dont want a drunk walking down my street, or driving into my car.

That is not why they are passed at all. You mention drunks, yet alcohol is very legal while far less impairing drugs are not. Being intoxicated does not exempt you from having a responsibility to not cause harm to others.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I tend to look at this question from a moral point of view.

Alexander Shulgin, whom we are all aware of I am sure, read out a letter at the end of one of his lectures. I think it was from a student.

The lecture is here.

Is it any wonder that laws prohibiting the use of psychoactive drugs have been traditionally ignored? The monstrous ego (or stupidity!) of a person or group of persons, to believe that they or anyone else have the right, or the jurisdiction, to police the inside of my body, or my mind!
It is, in fact, so monstrous a wrong that, were it not so sad indeed, tragic!—it might be humorous.
All societies must, it seems, have a structure of laws, of orderly rules and regulations. Only the most hard-core, fanatical anarchist would argue that point. But I, as a responsible, adult human being, will never concede the power, to anyone, to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inward is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the Customs Agent. I am the Coast Guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual Government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable!!!
Now, were I to be guilty of invading or sabotaging that same territory in others, then the external law of the Nation has every right—indeed, the responsibility—to prosecute me in the agreed-upon manner.
But what I think? Where I focus my awareness? What biochemical reactions I choose to cause within the territorial boundaries of my own skin are not subject to the beliefs, morals, laws or preferences of any other person!
I am a sovereign state, and I feel that my borders are far more sacred than the politically drawn boundaries of any country.

edit on 20-7-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join