It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US orders news blackout over crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

US orders news blackout over crippled Nebraska Nuclear Plant: report

nation.com.pk

A shocking report prepared by Russia’s Federal Atomic Energy Agency (FAAE) on information provided to them by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) states that the Obama regime has ordered a “total and complete” news blackout relating to any information regarding the near catastrophic meltdown of the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant located in Nebraska.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.businessinsider.com

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

According to this report, the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Plant suffered a “catastrophic loss of cooling” to one of its idle spent fuel rod pools on 7 June after this plant was deluged with water caused by the historic flooding of the Missouri River which resulted in a fire causing the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) to issue a “no-fly ban” over the area.
Located about 20 minutes outside downtown Omaha, the largest city in Nebraska, the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Plant is owned by Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) who on their website denies their plant is at a “Level 4” emergency by stating: “This terminology is not accurate, and is not how emergencies at nuclear power plants are classified.”
Russian atomic scientists in this FAAE report, however, say that this OPPD statement is an “outright falsehood” as all nuclear plants in the world operate under the guidelines of the International Nuclear and Radiological Event Scale (INES) which clearly states the “events” occurring at the Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant do, indeed, put it in the “Level 4” emergency category of an “accident with local consequences” thus making this one of the worst nuclear accidents in US history.
Though this report confirms independent readings in the United States of “negligible release of nuclear gasses” related to this accident it warns that by the Obama regimes censoring of this event for “political purposes” it risks a “serious blowback” from the American public should they gain knowledge of this being hidden from them.

Anyone got more on this? If Obama indeed ordered a media blackout, it's obvious we're not going to have any Western MSM reports on this. Although I am skeptical, I don't see what motive the Russian Federal Atomic Energy Agency possibly has to bring up such strong claims if they would have no evidence at all.

We all know that another nuclear disaster would mean the end of nuclear power, but more importantly, are people's lives being put in jeopardy? It's definitely suspicious that a no-fly was issued - it could have been a precautionary measure (I don't know whether it has been lifted already).

nation.com.pk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This has already been posted .. and it seems it's not accurate either .. please search
... the plant is apparently operating just fine, they have put up berms around the plant to keep it dry and I guess they are prepared to deal with water levels up to 10 feet higher .. which I don't see happening.. One ATSer linked the fear mongering article back to Sorcha Faal, which is all that really needs to be known .. Sorcha Faal = hoaxer

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just two threads I found, but there are numerous.
edit on 19-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Yes, it does seem to be not accurate. I just now looked it up at maps.googe, and here is a link to the satellite real time photo of that power plant:
maps.google.com...
Type in:
Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant

Looks OK to me, I see no meltdown, cars are in the parking lot, everything looks quite normal. Is this a hoax, by chance?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Nuclear Regulatory Comission - Fort Calhoun Nuclear Generating Station

Here is the NRC stats, including daily briefs.

Yahoo news article

Nineteen miles upstream from Omaha, Neb., is the Fort Calhoun nuclear power plant. It is owned and operated by the Omaha Public Power District (OPPD).

Ft. Calhoun sits on the west bank of the Missouri River. According to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, it was shut down for refueling in April, which should have taken about 40 days. Because of the impending flooding event, OPPD decided to keep the plant shut down. Utility personnel and contractors have built a series of permanent berms and temporary flood control structures in and around the plant to prevent flood waters from damaging any of the critical areas. Included in the temporary flood control measures are sandbagging, HESCO barriers and AquaDams.

The Nuclear Plant was shut down prior to the flooding so they could change out the rods (takes approximately 40 days per the article). When news of potential flooding of the Missouri was talked about, the governing body decided to just leave the plant shutdown.

edit on 19-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Yes, it does seem to be not accurate. I just now looked it up at maps.googe, and here is a link to the satellite real time photo of that power plant:
maps.google.com...
What makes you think that's real-time? I always thought the satellite imagery was old. It's not real-time at my place because there was a tree removed that's still showing up in the satellite photo.

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Nuclear Regulatory Comission - Fort Calhoun Nuclear Generating Station

Here is the NRC stats, including daily briefs.
Thanks. Here are the last two incident reports on Ft. Calhoun, neither is listed as an emergency:
www.nrc.gov...

June 17 2011
Emergency Class: NON EMERGENCY
Notification Date: 06/16/2011
Notification Time: 14:46 [ET]
Event Date: 06/16/2011
Event Time: 12:30 [CDT]
Last Update Date: 06/16/2011

ADDITIONAL PENETRATION IDENTIFIED FOR MITIGATION DURING WALKDOWN

"Operations identified a potential flooding issue in the Intake Structure 1007 ft. 6 in. level. The area of concern is a the hole in the floor at the 1007 ft. 6 in. level where the relief valve from FP-1A discharge pipe goes through the raw pump bay and discharges into the intake cell. There is one penetration of concern. Flooding through this penetration could have impacted the ability of the station's Raw Water (RW) pumps to perform their design accident mitigation functions.

"Efforts are in progress to seal the penetration.

"This eight-hour notification is being made pursuant to 10 CFR 50.72 (b)(3)(v)."

The licensee notified the NRC Resident Inspector.
------------------------------------
June 13 2011
Notification Date: 06/13/2011
Notification Time: 14:30 [ET]
Event Date: 06/13/2011
Event Time: 12:00 [CDT]
Last Update Date: 06/13/2011

OFFSITE NOTIFICATION DUE TO SEWAGE SYSTEM RELEASE

"At 0500 CDT, the lift station #4 sewage system, South of the Fort Calhoun Station Administration building, was released to the Missouri River. The release was a mixture of ground water and sewage; samples were taken by chemistry but dilution concentration is unknown. Approximately 105 gpm release started around 0500 on 6/13/2011. This condition is being reported pursuant to 10 CFR 50.72(b)(2)(xi) for an event related to the protection of the environment for which a notification of governmental agencies is required. Applicable governmental agencies have been notified per plant procedures."

The licensee notified the State of Nebraska at 1200 CDT. The licensee also notified the NRC Resident Inspector.
While there are apparently valid safety concerns about the plant, it seems like there is currently no emergency, though June 17th was the last date on the NRC site.

Hoaxer Sorcha Faal is apparently the source of the fake story, according to a source in the other thread.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
simply not true, I live about 70 miles from there and my friend was working on contract there up until a week ago.
Everyone here knew this flood was coming, and most have prepared for it ahead of time, the same goes for the plant. Hotels are snadbagged, dirt is surrounding many businesses, this flood was no surprise to anyone here in SE Nebraska, Eastern Iowa.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Just playing devil's advocate here but, if there were a media blackout ordered on reporting a nuclear crisis at this plant would it not be imperative to at least put out disinformation to keep the population in that area at ease?

Edit: Never mind. Read above post.
edit on 6/19/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The source of this "news"

www.whatdoesitmean.com...

It's a hoax being picked up by "news" sources that don't check there sources.

top topics

join