It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Protest Government In Hungary.....As Clowns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Thousands of people in Hungary have protested against austerity measures introduced by the government, including cuts in early retirement benefits.

It was the biggest rally since regular demonstrations against the centre-right cabinet of Prime Minister Viktor Orban began in April.

Many were dressed as clowns, after Mr Orban's alleged pledge to send his "clown affairs secretary" to negotiate.

Um, I gotta say, this is the first protest Ive seen that was full of clowns.....literally, clowns.

Now lets find out who these clowns were.

Policemen, firemen and soldiers were at the forefront of the demonstrations across Hungary on Thursday.

Now those are some hardcore clowns! (especially the military clowns!)

But on a more serious note, most of what is causing these protests is the governments decision to cut pensions, and retirement rights for the police and military. The police and soldiers have to wait until age 65 until they get their pensions. They originally could retire at age 45, but not anymore.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
That's just wrong. How can you make this thread without pictures?
The temptation is too strong, I must.....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0242290c639b.jpg[/atsimg]
This pic ↑↑, just wasn't quite good enough, so I did a quick search, and found this one ↓↓, here.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c6963aff5d7c.jpg[/atsimg]

In several cities, including Budapest, the capital, union members drove their cars in orderly processions to slow down traffic and call attention to what they say are unjust and one-sided government decisions.

Gotta give them credit. They came up with a plan, and it seems like they stuck to it. They had a goal to ensure that this protesting would be known. Obviously, they have been successful of at least, making their voices be heard.

edit on 6/17/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I live in Hungary and i was one of the protestors. There are may other things that makes people very angry here. The main thing is that our new goverment refuse to talk to the people. They changed our constitution one sided, they took EVERYONES pension money, they make new laws literally in minutes without any analysis and while the people make big sacrifices they rent luxury cars and they vote themself bigger salaries.
Bus and train drivers, teachers, doctors and university students announced more protests in the next months.
The goverment does everything to mute those who are against him. The last bastion of the minorty parties is a radio station called Klub Radio. They will give its frequency to another station. Also every police officer in our country was forced to work on protest day. They arent allowed to show their opinion.

Here is a little slideshow: kepek.origo.hu.../1106/F_kly201161621152/gallery.xml&rovat=itthon

new topics

join