It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True fact: A common ingredient in commercial breads is derived from human hair harvested in China

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A "True" Fact, as opposed to a "False" Fact....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by metro

Originally posted by hypervalentiodine

Originally posted by elouina
Ok did anyone grab a loaf off their shelf and check it? I am from the US and there is no such ingredient in any of my bread products. 3 different brands.
edit on 16-6-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

They use cysteine in bread as it operates as a reducing agent. Essentially, it breaks apart the gluten that naturally occurs in the bread so as to soften it. You achieve the same thing mechanically by kneading it, however the reaction is reversible and will reverse upon proofing/baking. It is of course, not the only thing available, so cysteine is not always used. Have a read of this.

If you're suggesting that it's used to remove gluten strands in bread then you are probably wrong. Kneading dough creates gluten strands. Remove gluten from your dough and you end up with something that is not bread dough and would resemble the texture and crumbliness of a muffin when baked.

I don't know how such a misinformed opinion can be shared with such conviction, but I hope it was just your inability to articulate your sentences properly.

That's not what I was saying at all, which you would have known had you of read the article I linked. I do wonder though, how do you interpret 'breaks apart gluten' as, 'removes it from bread'? What I had meant, was that the cysteine reduces the disulfide linkages between the 'strands' of gluten, which causes the bread to soften. I can go more into the chemistry if you would like. The reason I didn't expand upon the comment in much detail in my initial post, is simply because it was not necessary or particularly relevant to what I was saying.

Again, all of these things you would have known had you of read the article I linked instead of taking the arrogant, 'I'm more informed than you' approach. Next time, might I suggest you make sure you have everything in order before you go around accusing people of illiteracy or stupidity.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

You are probably right, everywhere i have clover growing, the pink kind, or white for that matter there is no grass or weeds! I had not put 2@2 together on that. I do leave patches to gather for teas and for the bees. That is pretty cool. So the flowers when dried become the seed?

As for the poo, are you sure it wont burn plants? I can give it a try but would hate to lose my veggies to a mistake at this point. It takes so much to put up.

One more thing, my Grandpa is growing my bakercreek tomatoes and his are like the biggest fattest stems and healthy plants in the country, now we did start with some commercial miraclegrow starter soil amended with rich compost, but he puts all the water from say boiled potatoes and veggies onto them daily, I tell you they are really something to behold.

Anyway thank you for the clover tips!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
"Waiter... My soup is made of hair"

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Also, our family is really grossed out by the Lcystine... I just cant stand the thought of eating something from someone with mutated genes, or disease, even AIDS or worse. What can we do to bring about change on this?

Think about all the prejudiced people who would just die before they would eat Asian hair! Lol funny huh? We are not prejudice but just saying.

The real rich people don't eat this stuff I bet.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Also, our family is really grossed out by the Lcystine... I just cant stand the thought of eating something from someone with mutated genes, or disease, even AIDS or worse. What can we do to bring about change on this?

Think about all the prejudiced people who would just die before they would eat Asian hair! Lol funny huh? We are not prejudice but just saying.

The real rich people don't eat this stuff I bet.

You're not eating their DNA or any diseases they may have, you are eating an amino acid, which is chemically extracted and purified - nothing else. Have you thought how many places all the other molecules you eat have been? One upon a time, some of the water you drank was likely part of a rotting corpse or the faecal matter of some other organism. But yet, you still drink that water. This is no different.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

If you try manure tea for the first time I would suggest starting with a trial plant or two. Make sure you do not let the tea come in contact with the leaves of the plant it should be poured as close to the ground as possible. Don't worry about the clover the tea won't hurt it.

Gardening success only comes from multiple failures. Start small anytime you experiment with a new fertilizer both in terms of the number of plants fertilized and with the strength of the fertilizer. I've heard of people using cooking water for watering plants and I don't see where any bad could come from it as long as the water is not to salty. I've not tried it myself yet but I think next time I boil potatoes I'll water one of my flower container gardens with it to see what happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join