It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harold Camping has a stroke.. old age or karma?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Followers of doomsday radio preacher Harold Camping were awaiting news of the 89-year-old's condition Monday after he suffered a stroke and was hospitalized in California.

Looks like 'Ol Harold's caught a "stroke" of bad luck
... ok so that's wrong to joke about, but seriously I'm not sure if anyone saw that, but I didn't see any posts about it. I'm not a very religous person but I would say that if he intended on making money, karma got him.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Can you explain how "karma" got him? Is karma a cosmic bean counter who keeps weighing a person's good and bad deeds and sees to it that they come back in an appropriate form? I keep seeing people attribute things to karma but they don't explain how that works.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth

Actually, it basically works exactly the way you describe it.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Wow. Maybe God/Allah/Zeus/Odin/Krishna/Count Chocular was scared that he might start his crap again and wanted to silence him.

Conspiracy theory

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Who doesn't know what karma means? I'm simply saying that I believe he is getting what he deserves IF his prophecies are for a money making purpose.. sorry if my joke offended any of the religious members by the way.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Does that mean your going to have a stroke because you were making lite of anothers stroke?? ist that how it works?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Karma is a biatch. The lord clearly wants him to shut his damn mouth if the stroke only effected his speech.
2nd.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrodude

I hope not! I actually didn't think of it that way.. I guess I better go down to the red cross and donate a couple bucks, maybe even take a homeless guy out to lunch to counter the repercussion?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaberTruth
Can you explain how "karma" got him? Is karma a cosmic bean counter who keeps weighing a person's good and bad deeds and sees to it that they come back in an appropriate form? I keep seeing people attribute things to karma but they don't explain how that works.

I don't think Camping is a deliberate hoaxer. His October date for disaster may have science behind it.

To believe in karma you might have to believe in quantum physics, non locality and such. Bad act could produce a negative field of energy that could act back on the wrong doer. A current example would be some peoples belief that the US is being bombarded by radioactive particles from Japan because the US has used DU weapons themselves and harmed civilian populations, which is a form of genocide.

Karma might not need a personal deity like a christian God, but could operate in a system of beliefs that could be characterized as "deism". Like the whole universe was kinda a God. In olden days don't some prayers ask God to punish enemies and the wicked.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I knew it!

Karma is....

the IRS!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It was just a failed and I might add, late attempt at Campings own rapture

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmamaknows
I don't think Camping is a deliberate hoaxer. His October date for disaster may have science behind it.

To believe in karma you might have to believe in quantum physics, non locality and such. Bad act could produce a negative field of energy that could act back on the wrong doer. A current example would be some peoples belief that the US is being bombarded by radioactive particles from Japan because the US has used DU weapons themselves and harmed civilian populations, which is a form of genocide.

Karma might not need a personal deity like a christian God, but could operate in a system of beliefs that could be characterized as "deism". Like the whole universe was kinda a God. In olden days don't some prayers ask God to punish enemies and the wicked.

You know .. people like you make me so pissed. I just want to punch myself in the face because I don't understand how people know so much about sh*t. I suck at life.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Personally, I believe in karma
but I think karma is a lot like cupid
both have really screwed up aim

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 31Bravo

Probably a stroke from stress, I would imagine.

I don't think he was doing it for profit. I think he really believed he was on to something and was trying to do the right thing. I think he has sat too long staring at the bible trying to figure out a code or a pattern. I honestly think he thought he had discovered something.

Could you imagine what it would be like to think that you discovered a hidden message from god (as many people have before)? Maybe you would feel like the new Noah? According to the bible, everyone called him crazy too. If the flood had never happened, Noah would probably have had a stroke too.

I would imagine it was a stressful event for Harold Camping. Especially if he was that sure about it. I am sure it made him question his own beliefs. I feel bad for him.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessbrainsyndrome

I like your post and what you are saying.. I think he was in it for the money, but I think you have a really good point. Thank you for your input so I star you.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaberTruth

I think it is like cosmic justice. No hand of man and yet some kind of intervention occurs.
You do something that harms someone you get a return hurt, a malady an injury, doled out by the universe. What can we say? The universe is petty.

I think it is a manufactured story to try and keep people from harassing him. I don't really blame him there. We all do what we have to to survive. We make mistakes and we live with the consequences. I guess that's karma.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessbrainsyndrome

Many churchgoers are told that faith is a kind of force that will "smell" doubt in you the way a shark smells blood in the water. "Faith healers" have honed this to a fine art: if you aren't healed, it's your own fault for having doubt. So people are conditioned to push all rational questions out of their minds so God will grant whatever it is they want.

Camping looks to me like one of those people. He HAD to believe his calculations were right because any doubt might jinx the outcome. By sticking his neck out he believed he was being a good leader who could be trusted for his unshakable faith. He and those who followed him wanted to be so sure, to the point of selling everything and settling affairs, that they would be seen by God as "good and faithful servants".

But faith doesn't work that way. It is to be an assurance based upon what has gone before, a reasoned conclusion and projection from what we already know. But more importantly, faith is to be in God, not ourselves. We trust God because we know him; we have decided that he has earned our trust. It isn't this blind wish or anything, and that's where the Campings and their followers took a wrong turn.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

So if God told you (the way that God does with a series of signs that you are seeing and that you believe it because you feel it in your heart) that the end was upon us and to spread the word to all of the world (as he did with Noah), you, as a believer in God, would ignore it? Because throughout the bible, God came to one person to spread his word. He did not show up to a gigantic group of people. He told Moses or Noah or Abraham or Joseph or any of these others. If he came to you, would you do whatever crazy thing he asked you to do? Keep in mind, he almost had Abraham kill his son.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by restlessbrainsyndrome

So if God told you (the way that God does with a series of signs that you are seeing and that you believe it because you feel it in your heart) that the end was upon us and to spread the word to all of the world (as he did with Noah), you, as a believer in God, would ignore it? Because throughout the bible, God came to one person to spread his word. He did not show up to a gigantic group of people. He told Moses or Noah or Abraham or Joseph or any of these others. If he came to you, would you do whatever crazy thing he asked you to do? Keep in mind, he almost had Abraham kill his son.

Did I say a single thing about "feel it in my heart"?
And how did you extract an outright rebellion against a clear command from God from anything I said?
Has God appeared to ANYONE since Jesus came, the way he did before then, such that I can expect him to appear to me and tell me to do "some crazy thing"?

Why do people keep blending the Testaments into a mush and then daring believers to make sense of it? Sorry, I don't play the absurdity game.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
It could be that the old kook wholeheartedly felt that there was some real truth to his crazy prophecies, and the stress of having his whole belief system crumble around him...repeatedly...time after time after time(lol), took its toll...I really doubt it was karma...He didn't steal anything from anybody. I do not understand why people keep blaming him for the fact that some people are so desperate to have something to believe in that they gave up everything to follow an idiot and his rainbow...

top topics

join