It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books YOU'd recommend...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What are some books you'd recommend I read? I don't have nearly the collection I once had and I'd thought I'd get some suggestions. I'm trying to self-educate myself. I'm currently reading 'The Science Fiction of Edgar Allen Poe', being the only book I have left, besides 'Alcoholics Anonymous'.
I thought I'd pick up 'Lies My Teacher Told Me' by James Loewen, and 'Your Be Lied to' by Russ Kick, suggested by a comedian I hold in high regard.

Anyways, I don't care about the subject matter, I'll check it out. Thanks in advance!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick, Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut, a Fairwell to Arms by Ernest Hemmingway, and All the President's Men by Woodward and Berstein.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Edward Abbey: Desert Solitaire and The Monkey Wrench Gang.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker is one of my favs, if you haven't read it, I highly suggest. John Dies at the End by David Wong is simply fantastic as well. Hope this helps!!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IronMaidenFan13

I was going to suggest anything by Clive Barker, actually

In particular, Galilee, Imajica, Sacrament, Weaveworld. They're all good though!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Into the Wild by John Krakauer

Rage by Richard Bachman (Stephen King) This is a short story in the book called "The Bachman Books".

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
"Living My Life, Volume 1&2" by Emma Goldman
"The Spiral Dance" by Starhawk
"The Fifth Sacred Thing" by Starhawk
edit on 11-6-2011 by crudos because: addition

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Swan song by robert mccammon! Im re reading it now, and that says alot! I dont read stuff more than once, which is why I gave up on the aa book

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Lion of Ireland " historical fiction" by Morgan Llywelyn Great book.

The Wolf of Masada "historical fiction" John Fredman Another great book

Both of those are single books if you want to get into a sci fi series id recommend 3 series.

The Elric Saga by Micheal Moorcock youll either love him or hate him but youll read them all. 3 main books

Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazney pretty trippy concepts in the book. 3 main books

Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson it is EPIC and good. 6 main books

Take your time and get to them all you wont be sorry.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

Sun Tzu the art of war. Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko
Stephen Colbert, I am America ( and so can you)
edit on 11-6-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
"Prometheus Rising" by Robert Anton Wilson will blow your mind. The past, present and future of human consciousness and society, incorporating Western Occultism, Eastern and Western religion,Timothy Leary, Alfred Korzybsky, GI Gurdjieff, Aleister Crowley, Biology, Quantum physics and more. Good stuff that will change your way of thinking forever. Thoroughly readable, too. Also by Wilson: "The Illuminatus Trilogy" and "The Schrodinger's Cat trilogy" (both fiction).
"VALIS", "The Divine Invasion", and "The Man in the High Castle" by Philip K Dick.
Literary caliber science fiction. Very moody.
"The Crying of Lot 49" by Thomas Pynchon. Conspiracy/synchronicity/hippies/weirdness a la one of the more respected novelists of the second half of the 20th Century
"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein.
Futuristic revolution 101
"Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole .1 of the funniest books you will ever read.
Could go on and on, but I'll stop there.
edit on 11-6-2011 by louieprima because: added some summary

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Lol, thanks op! Now I got a few books I forgot I wanted to read! Like the amber series! Might just skip to the library tomorrow!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks everybody. I've started constructing a list, so that I can keep track of all of them. I fully intent on reading all of these, or at least attempting.... lol That's A LOT of books!

Thanks again!

I'll be sure to keep this updated, also.
edit on 11-6-2011 by AmrikazNightmar3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The Holy Bible
The Tanakh
The Babylonian Talmud
The Midrash

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Depends on what you want to learn. If it is truth then I recommend Manley P. Halls Secrets of All Ages. This book will open your eyes. Actually read and listen to anything by Manley P Hall.

Another book is called Pawns in the Game by William Guy Carr.

www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Watership Down,
Ishmeal by Daniel Quinn,
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson
Cats Cradled by Kurt Vonnegut or any Vonnegut for that matter

One Who flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
edit on 11-6-2011 by ELahrairah because: fire ants in da pants

edit on 11-6-2011 by ELahrairah because: dem ants ain't no good

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
"The Taking" by Dean Koontz!!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The Tao Te Ching.
The Art of War (Art of Strategy) by Sun Tzu.
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
The Philosophy of Buddha and the Buddhist Bible..
All the books by Nietzsche
The Foundation series by Issac Asimov
Star Ship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Sherlock Holmes by Arther C. Doyle

I can keep going on and on for book recommendations, my kids hate dads required reading list.

Also several of these books and many others can be found online fairly cheaply if you want to read them that way, another source for legal free books is the Gutenberg Project with books that are no longer in copyright.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Currently ranked HIGH on my Kindle is:

Fallen Angels & the Origins of evil - Elizabeth Clare Prophet

Paradise Lost - John Milton & Philip Pullman

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson

The Armageddon Conspiracy

Along with ALL Stephen King & Ann Rice books

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The Glass Bead Game - Hermann Hesse

Magister Ludi-the Glass Bead Game, was a novel written in 1943 by the German writer Hermann Hesse who was born in 1877 in Claw, Germany, and died in 1962 in Montagnola, Switzerland. In 1946 Hesse received the Nobel Prize in literature for Magister Ludi. In the archives of the Glass Bead Game it is written that Joseph Knecht was the Magister Ludi of the Glass Bead Game in a place called Castalia. Who among you remember Castilia?

(same author as siddhartha btw)

a

edit on 12-6-2011 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join