It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Officials in 'Panic Mode' as Hearing Nears on Failed Anti-Gun Trafficking Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Officials at the Department of Justice are in "panic mode," according to multiple sources, as word spreads that congressional testimony next week will paint a bleak and humiliating picture of Operation Fast and Furious, the botched undercover operation that left a trail of blood from Mexico to Washington, D.C.

The operation was supposed to stem the flow of weapons from the U.S. to Mexico by allowing so-called straw buyers to purchase guns legally in the U.S. and later sell them in Mexico, usually to drug cartels.Instead, ATF documents show that the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms knowingly and deliberately flooded Mexico with assault rifles.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

This story is unbeleiveable!! How irresponsible can this administration be!! I think the agents in charge of this operation should be charged with murder for the people that have been killed as a result of this negligence.

Mexican officials estimate 150 of their people have been shot by Fast and Furious guns. Police have recovered roughly 700 guns at crime scenes, 250 in the U.S. and the rest in Mexico, including five AK-47s found at a cartel warehouse in Juarez last month"We would say, 'Do you (the ATF) want us to stop selling, is there something we should do here?'" Brad DeSayes, owner of J&G Gun Sales in Prescott, said. "And they would say, 'No, no, no, keep selling - just tell us after the fact.'"

I wonder what's going to happen at this hearing. Heads need to roll!!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
yep you think any of the people involved in this were making money on the guns? I bet dollars to donuts someone was.

I also bet that no one at the top will be charged or even lose their job.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

Probably not. I was reading an article, I think in American Rifleman or Guns & Ammo or something that talked about how they were trying to cover the whole thing up when the story broke and called it "fast and furious".

It's crazy!! They even give their cover ups stupid operation names!!

I'm sure they'll just get a little slap on the wrist.

Disgusting!!

I just found it. It was in American Rifleman magazine, June 2011 in the Standing Guard column.
edit on 9-6-2011 by deesul69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if they were doing it so they could press for tougher anti-gun legislation. If the whistle blower hadn't of come forward who knows. I heard in news reports the the government wanted to restrict sales in those states on the border. Now we find out it was the government basically byproxy trafficking the guns themselves. They never expected this to see the light of day. This administration is the absolute biggest disaster to hit the US and at the worst time for us.

edit on 9/6/11 by spirit_horse because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

VERY good point!! I would not doubt it at all.

Found the article:
www.nrapublications.org...

But among the gun control ruling elite, there is a new, big lie—that the BATFE “Fast and Furious” debacle happened because there are no laws against international gun trafficking.

First of all, there is another fact totally overlooked in this whole steaming mess: When it comes to smuggling across international borders, U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has jurisdiction, not BATFE.

Try this very clear mission statement:

“ICE investigates cases involving the illegal export of munitions, small arms and weapon sanctions violations. It also has primary jurisdiction over investigations related to smuggling firearms across our border. …”

As for “weak smuggling laws,” the same mission statement says:

ICE “… possesses some of the broadest authorities of any U.S. government agency.”

BATFE had no jurisdiction, and no business even running this "sting" operation!! What they did was totally illegal, and should have been handled by ICE!!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Damn skippy they were doing it for tougher anti-gun legislation. All you have to do is listen to Calderon when he addressed Congress.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

All of these anti-gun politicians are liars!!

The president isn’t the first to make this mistaken claim; far from it. During an interview on CBS’ "Early Show" on March 26, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said: "We have to recognize and accept that the demand for drugs from the United States drives them north, and the guns that are used by the drug cartels against the police and the military, 90 percent of them come from America."

The 90 percent figure was similarly cited by Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) during a March 17 congressional hearing on the subject. Durbin said: "According to ATF [the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives], more than 90 percent of the guns seized after raids or shootings in Mexico have been traced right here to the United States of America." Feinstein added: "It is unacceptable to have 90 percent of the guns that are picked up in Mexico used to shoot judges, police officers, mayors, kidnap innocent people and do terrible things come from the United States, and I think we must put a stop to that."
."

www.factcheck.org...

According to a Fox News report, titled "The Myth of 90 Percent," only "17 percent of guns found at Mexican crime scenes have been traced to the U.S." But the 17 percent figure is a myth, too. The reporters made some mistaken assumptions about how many guns had actually been traced to U.S. sources.

Fox News reporters William La Jeunesse and Maxim Lott note, quite correctly, that Mexico doesn’t submit all the guns it recovers to the U.S. for tracing. Furthermore, Fox News reported, this is "because it is obvious from their markings that they do not come from the U.S." And it quoted a law enforcement official as to why:

They're liars, and make up whatever they want to try to make people beieive their delusional ideals.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
IMO this was a plot to influence US gun laws. Trying to say, "look how easy it is for Mexican drug lords to get guns and take them back across the border". Sadly this is a sample of the genius's that run these agencies. Let's hope that the ones responsible get what they deserve. Although, the most likely thing to happen is a slap on the wrist.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

I hope that this is Obama's "Nixon" moment, if you know what I mean. Oh. he'll say, "I'm not a crook", but at least he'd leave office.

For all the good that would do, but it's a start.
edit on 10-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by deesul69

I hope that this is Obama's "Nixon" moment, if you know what I mean. Oh. he'll say, "I'm not a crook", but at least he'd leave office.

For all the good that would do, but it's a start.
edit on 10-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

We can only hope!! I don't know, though. If that happened, then Biden would take over, and I don't think we'd be much better off!!

I've read somewhere that there's more weapons being used by the Mexican cartels that were sold by our government than bought legally in the US and smuggled over the border.

Many weapons are sold to legitimate government agencies or military, then stolen or sold by corrupt officials to the cartels.

I don't have an exact statistic, but I'm willing to bet it's a lot!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Maybe somebody in Mexico was coming back
to the states to spill the beans and didn't
quite make it.

48 foot Yacht from Mexico found floating
off Florida Coast. Nobody aboard and registered
to the US Government.

cryptogon.com...

In the end, I'll bet you these 2 are related.

edit on 6/10/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

edit on 11-6-2011 by deesul69 because: (no reason given)

join