It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia unveils new 'bomb proof' toilets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Moscow (CNN) -- Officials in the Russian capital say new public toilets, to be introduced by the end of the year, will be virtually indestructible.

With basins made from ultra-strong fibrous concrete, and fittings hewn from a mixture of steel and reinforced plastic, officials say the state of the art WC's are vandal and terrorist-proof.

"If somebody will leave a bomb inside the lavatory and it explodes, then the toilet won't be destroyed," said Anatoly Ashikhmin, an official involved in the project from the Moscow State Department of Building Maintenance.

When I first saw the headline for this article, I thought "bomb" meant......that kind of toilet bomb....

Plus, you will be able to do your business in a comfortable temperature

The high tech facilities, say officials, will also be kept above 16 degrees centigrade ­ (about 60 degrees Fahrenheit), important in a city where winter temperatures often plunge below -30 degrees centigrade.

But what happens if I have the runs and need to spend an hour on this new tech?

City officials say an extra security feature of the new unisex toilet is that members of the public will be able to spend a maximum of 30 minutes inside before the doors automatically open and an alarm sounds.

Priceless

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I guess we won't be seeing any "Bart Simpson" style cherry bombings in the restrooms in Russia anytime soon

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Bomb proof toilets? Guess Russia is doing well economically if this is what they spend their time developing.

What the hell is the point of a bomb proof toilet? Say a bomb goes off while you're on the pot. Will you give a # if the toilet made it after you're blown into pieces? Does anyone give two #'s if a toilet survives an attack while nothing else in the vicinity survives? I sure don't.

In the future, if Russia is ever bombed, should I expect pictures of mass destruction and collapsed buildings with a bunch perfectly working toilets scattered about? Not impressed. Would rather a toilet that never clogs, and will flush whatever I deposit no matter the size, especially after thanksgiving.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
meanwhile in soviet russia...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbcba49a544f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/934ae4973dc9.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 9-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: added star to toilet seat.. because..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Good to see Russia has their priorities straight. Nothing should interrupt the sanctity of a mans time on the crapper!

IRM

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
What happens if the sun goes supernova?
Will these toilets be our messengers to the stars?
Are distant futuristic civilizations going to find 'The Great Toilet Nebula'?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Ideal for the new Apple campus, methinks.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
They said " officials say the state of the art WC's are vandal and terrorist-proof".

LOL!!!
Apparently they did not get a plumbers input.
I promise I could block the toilet in just a few seconds.
Maybe not permanently but definately enough to flood some floors.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Actually, toilets break extremely easy.
You'd be surprised what an add 12 year old can do simply by kicking a toillet.
$500. later his folks are mad at him.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Any claim that something is indestructible is a challenge to see if you can destroy it. When these things are installed, they can expect to see a big increase in vandalism. The next tourist attraction will be indestructible toilets surrounded by bomb craters where the bathrooms used to be.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phractal Phil

too true.. the Gov tried to install bomb proof parking meters and cameras around here (as they tend to explode a lot
) however it was to much of a challenge for the locals so now the Gov simply digs them out of the concrete and hide them at certain times in the year.

new topics

top topics

join