It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Firefighters Protest Bloomberg's Budget Cuts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Lol I live here man, you dont. You ahve never even visited this country, so, while I understand what you are trying to say, its not accurate.

You can have one of the best governments in the state. If you have people / business decide to shut down for whatever reason and move, youve lost fevenue on multiple fronts.

While I am familiar with your irritation towards the US, this is not entirely a US issue. Our economy is intertwined on the global scale, so if a country has issues that used to buy lots of items from businesses located in NYC, its lost revenue. If they cant find anyone to pick up that slack, layoffs / shutdown occurs, reducing taxes going to the city.

In your posts, its coming across that you are saying its 100% the FEds fault, and its not. Personally I dont think we pay enough in taxes for the elvel of services we demand.

As I said, we get what we pay for and them some. What we are seeing now is a contraction of those services to we get only what we can afford. There is no getting around it.

Raise taxes, cut spending, or slash services in other areas.

It really is that simple.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Personally I dont think we pay enough in taxes for the elvel of services we demand.

Well I've heard the US is pretty similar to Australia..

Taking into account ALL taxes and charges we pay around 50% of our income back to the Government..
Sounds more like slavery to me.....

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

great try man really was

some people just dont get it

lets add more welfate to the system

corporate welfare
welfare for the people
welfare for the unions
welfare for firefighters
welfare for the police
state welfare in general

nyc being one of the most expensive place to live in this country they wanna make it more expensive.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Depending here, its around 30+% give or take. Some will pahy more, some less, but thats about the average. The bulk of our tax money at the federal level goes to defense and entitlements (social security, medicaid, medicare etc).

We have more and more people qualifying for those benefiets, yet we dont have enough money allocated to go into those funds to make it run in the black.

As far as what New York is going through, that is a local issue. They are going to have to cut services / funding in order to balance it out. As Illinois has discovered, raising taxes to maintain current resource levels for a diminished population doesnt work.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Im not defending New York City in the least bit. I dont agree with the level of entitlements we have in this country, and we make it way to easy to get on and way to hard to get off welfare.

I am not a fan of raising taxes either. Personally, I am very much in favor of a smaller government, and more in favor of people going back to personal accountability.

If you buy a house and you cant afford the payments, why should i be required to bail you out? Now, if it is the banks fault or governments fault, then the issue should be fixed, and I believe the bank shouldhave to knock off the amount of money they were demanding from the home owners.

Raising taxes arent the answer... Living and governing within the budget is.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I do not think anyone could be wrong about this incident. When one of society's most important professions go out on strike for better pay and conditions should than not see this as an event related to a particular neighborhood. It is how to turn on the nationwide problem, the protests might as well start in another district?!
When those who are employed by the state are protesting is one of many clear signs that things are very bad out there. Let's hope this stannr at this protest and does not develop into a more country-wide protest.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's the same ole song and dance that is always performed by city administrators who completely lack any idea of looking for innovative ways to cut back on expenditures. Hit city employees. It's all they know to do, and apparently all they can do. Firemen and policemen are typically a target for this small-minded set.

It would be great if these city administrators could come up with original ideas that actually work, without placing citizenry in jeopardy, or reducing funding to essential services.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join