It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Christians are not, well, christian. Evangelicals use their "religion" as an article of show and vanity. Many are worse and use it as a bludgeon to beat others. If there is an "anti-Christ," it is likely the sum total spirit of all American rightwing evangelicals. Any and everything Jesus is claimed to have preached is 180 degrees opposite of what evangelicals spew.

Evangelicals: Worship wealth and material accumulation. Jesus, well, not so much.
Evangelicals: Preach hate and judgment. Jesus preached only God can judge and love of thy neighbor (not just thy rightwing, fundy, Christian neighbor.
Evangelicals: Teach hate. Jesus taught love.

Evangelicals truly are the cousins of Muslim extremists.
edit on 3-6-2011 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
i dont know about most people but myself

i said thank god its over meaning high school and that is a prayer so to speak,

who here has never said anything like that?

or pray god please dont let me knock up my girlfriend.

or god please help me find a job

or god please help me win the lottery.

someone will think thats off topic but its not.

and most of that in school

alot of people do those things and others.
edit on 3-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

For better or worse this country was founded on "Christian" concepts and philosophies. And so, because a minority wishes to make it not so, it must be... Um... Not so?

I feel like it would be much better to take the judges and courts and "individual" opining out of the mix... Make it a general ballot, nation wide, and see what happens.

If it were done that way, we wouldn't have to debate, you wouldn't have to hate or deride me, and I wouldn't have to hate or deride you... That's what a Republic is about... Majority rule.

Wow. This is the opitomy of ignorance. You've not described a republic at all; you've described a lynch mob, which is what a pure democracy is. The Founders HATED pure democracy for the explicit reason that is results in total tyranny by the majority. By your reckoning, the white majority has every right to assault the rights of asians, blacks, blue eyed people or any other minority. It is frightening that you grew up in this country and do not grasp this most fundamental concept of what our system is supposed to be. It is more frightening that you have a vote. The one mistake the Founders made is to not require a minimum intelligence and civic and historical knowledge to enable one to vote.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Maybe if all of those people here against this ruling wants prayer in schools, you all should send your kids to private religious schools. I do not believe that my child should have listen to religion if they choose not to.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by littletheif203
Maybe if all of those people here against this ruling wants prayer in schools, you all should send your kids to private religious schools. I do not believe that my child should have listen to religion if they choose not to.

Maybe you should send your children to a school where there is no religious interference, as it were. In this country, it should be that the majority rules. Unfortunately we are fast becoming a country of "elitists", as well as pompous, arrogant, individuals who don't give a damn what anyone else may desire, as long as we're getting what we want.

I frankly find it distasteful that one person being against the majority can turn and run that majority just the way they want. What's up with that? I suppose that soon enough there won't be any meaningful elections (not that there are now)... I mean, really... The electoral college can actually (and have done so in the past) vote for who they think should really be in office, as opposed to the majority.

Oh well... I suppose I could do what I suggest to other folks who have a hard time dealing with the way the majority runs things... I could very well move to a country wherein I can live my life exactly the way I want to.... Hmmmm.... Oh! Wait! That place doesn't exist! Sheesh! Perhaps find a way to live within the values and ethics and morals of the place you want to without making everyone who may not want to, bend to your particular methods and manners.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86

Originally posted by littletheif203

Maybe you should send your children to a school where there is no religious interference, as it were. In this country, it should be that the majority rules. Unfortunately we are fast becoming a country of "elitists", as well as pompous, arrogant, individuals who don't give a damn what anyone else may desire, as long as we're getting what we want.

I think that is an outstanding idea. We are always dealing with one individual pushing their agenda, regardless of what others feel or want. Homeschool, find a school that practices what you believe in, or at least attempt to do something other than deny a majority of students their rights or desires. This PC crap is getting old. I understand how little Johnny will be so traumatized for the rest of his life by hearing a prayer at his graduation. That must be awful to have to bear that burden for the rest of his life. God forbid he ever have to attend a funeral for one of his friends, and they invoke a prayer. Or will he already have gotten a court order to stop that?

If little Johnny doesn't want to hear a prayer, turn up the volume on his Ipod, or just don't go! It really is that simple.
edit on 4-6-2011 by retiredTxn because: Add link to new development.

This is on Fox News confirming the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the original judge's order.

Source

A federal appeals court has lifted the order banning public prayer at a Texas high school graduation Saturday. The reversal comes on the heels of increasing criticism of a federal judge's earlier ruling that agreed with the parents of one graduating student that religious expression during the ceremony at Medina Valley Independent School District would cause "irreparable harm" to their son. The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals thought differently, reversing the judge's ruling Friday and allowing students to say the word "amen" and invite the audience to pray during the ceremony. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 4-6-2011 by retiredTxn because: Actually add link..

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by littletheif203

Totally agree with you. Also, I believe that Jesus taught his followers to pray in private, not out loud like the HYPOCRITES.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Madelyn Murray O'Hare. In June of 1963 the Supreme Court upheld her argument that school prayer should be eliminated. She was an atheist. So, yes. one person can make very big changes.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sigung86

No, it wasn't. And, Jesus taught his followers to pray in private, not out loud like the HYPOCRITES!! You christians don't even follow his teachings!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

According to Jesus, praying in public is NOT ok. He instructed his followers to pray in private.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
reply to post by bozzchem

Do we really need prayer in school?

Let's keep prayer in church. The fact is when you say a Christian prayer in a public setting, you're basically excluding anyone who isn't Christian. It's simply not appropriate in an educational setting.

Agreed! (And I am a Christian.) Prayer in schools is simply for the look of it, and never sincere, I feel)
Vicky

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I always thought the need to broadcast one's faith to an audience who may not share the same beliefs was a sign of arrogance and elitism. That the person praying feels the need to show that they are better than those who do not share the same faith. That they belong to a special elite group of people.

If the goal was simply to share with those who are among the same faith, then a prayer gathering before the event would suffice. Yet, such things are never enough. They have to broadcast that they are part of group that adheres to a certain interpretation of the Bible.

More or less "Look at me! I am special."

The Judge was correct in banning such things. Prayers at school events purposely annoy and alienate those that have different faiths and provides those that share the faith of the person praying a sense of belonging and superiority to those that are different. Which doesn't contribute to the event taking place at all.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I sure am glad to hear that. I know of at least two honor students are members of the satanic Golden Dawn who were to speak for commencement and were going to say a prayer to Satan.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Sorry guys I am NOT seeing anything in there about separation of Church and State.
I do however see a clause that says that the Government cannot create or declare an official established religion, but nothing at all about ones prerogative to practice religion. As a matter of fact I see quite the opposite, what I do notice however is the part where they cannot prohibit the the free exercise of religion.

Its amazing how much censorship is condoned by the members of this website, especially considering the topic discussed here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join