It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group helps student suing CIA over Opus Dei records - 30 Year Argument

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Arguing that the CIA has no right to withhold records that are more than 30 years old, a watchdog group filed a motion this week seeking a federal court to compel the spy agency to reveal what it knows about the conservative Catholic group that is the stuff of legend.

Public Citizen is working on behalf of Harry Cason, a Ph.D. student at the City University of New York who filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to the CIA in 2009 for research he was doing on the U.S. role in Spain’s Franco regime, where Opus Dei allegedly played some part

"The CIA should not be able to avoid the disclosure requirements of FOIA by making vague appeals to national security, completely divorced from the records requested in this case," said Michael Page, an attorney for Public Citizen who is spearheading the case. "Not only are the records subject to automatic declassification because of their age, but it is implausible that the existence of a half-century-old interest in Opus Dei would undermine national security."

I dont know about the Opus Dei, but just from what I saw in the article, that sounds like a pretty interesting subject.

But the thing that I thought most important was the 30 year subject.Is the CIA supposed to release records more than 30 years old? It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this case is. I wonder what kind of material the CIA has that is over 30 years old.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Then they should declassify JFK also...

2nd

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Then they should declassify JFK also...

If this case is won by the group suing the CIA, the JFK stuff is the very first thing I want to see. Second would be stuff relating to the Iran Contra

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Opus Dei is like a spy network for the catholic church they can be anyone and no doubt have many very well placed members.
I suspect much if not all of the network is run by the jesuits

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by UcDat

I suspect much if not all of the network is run by the jesuits

Sure. Blame the Jesuits. That's anti-jesuitism (though that doesn't roll off the tongue as easy as anti-semitism-maybe that's why Jews get blamed more often than Jesuits.) If that's the case you really have to look out for that group, Jews for Jesuits (or is that Jews for Jesus-man, I get so confused when it comes to groups that start with J)

edit on 2-6-2011 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I am not familiar with this case. I will go do some research. However,
If they release records that indict themselves in a complicit situation then they would have to invent bigger words than I am using here to defend their actions. I do not think they will release this information. Only archeologists that dig up the records will know what went on. When we get the results please start a fresh thread explaining the whole scenario with some pictures and stuff.
I would like to see the CIA held accountable for its crimes by just plain dissolving the whole agency and dismantling its assets. Whatever they intended the CIA to be, it has become the single largest threat to real national security. I am sure there are honorable people in the organization but those people do not matter when nothing is being done about the CIA importing drugs and assassinating whistle blowers. AND THERE'S MORE! too much to name here.

new topics

top topics

join