It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists reverse stance on sun and cancer: Now they admit sunlight can prevent skin cancer

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think skin cancer can be caused by sunscreen itself ironically! of course if that is true the media would never report on it, but I suspect that. But maybe too much sun can cause it, I don't doubt that. You don't need to lay out in the sun for hours and become baked like a potato in order to get a tan.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercurio

You are not far from the true, before the 60s skin cancer was something only been heard off, since copperton and the growing sun ray blockers cancer cases are in raise, but don't tell that to the now multi billion dollar sunscreen empire.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Some believe that the sunscreens used to prevent excess sunlight exposure itself causes cancer. Some sunlight is good for you, too much is bad. Common sense really, but I do believe that the amount of fear surrounding sunlight exposure is overblown and has been for years now. Most likely cancer rates have gone up as our diet has changed. Free radicals reek havoc on all systems (including DNA damage) and has been shown to have a strong link to cancer. Antioxidants counter that. Being that our food sources are coming from less and less fertile grounds (less minerals and vitamins) and as more of our diet consists of processed foods with self lives, our health goes down with it.

Skin pigmentation has a big part in it too, but that much is known.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

why are africans and arabs not dead from skin cancer?

also white arabs in middle east get a lot of sun.why are they not dead from skin cancer?

africans live at maximum sun exposure and have for thousands of year.

why are they not dead from skin cancer.

on national geographic i read that we must remember there are no houses in africa to hide in only sparse bushes and sand.

i saw on discovery channel that africans don't even wear clothes and are virtually naked in the sun all day.

so why are afrcians not all dead from skin cancer?

any answers?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Who knows how many factors are involved, but I think vitamin D deficiency is related to the increase in cancer rates. Lots of things working against us relatively recently. Not just less sun exposure (sunscreen, more time indoors, receiving filtered sunlight, etc.), but when we do get natural sun exposure causing us to produce vitamin D, what do we do too soon? We wash it off.

We've been evolving with the sun for a long time and only recently decided that "we know better" than nature. We block the sun, and we bathe more. We spend more time indoors. Sunlight through a window can be harmful as well, as UVB is filtered and UVA allowed through, which will actually work to deplete your vitamin D levels. Another problem, as I said, is that we bathe too often, and especially after being outside. Natural sunlight will cause your body to produce vitamin D on the skin. It takes 48 hours to be fully absorbed.

Our recent obsession with hygiene seems to cause more problems than it solves. Not just with the vitamin D absorption. What happens to the kids whose parents keep an obnoxiously clean house? They end up with all kinds of allergies and weak immune systems.

What makes us think we know better all of a sudden? Maybe we ought to try harder to work with nature and not against it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

why are africans and arabs not dead from skin cancer?

also white arabs in middle east get a lot of sun.why are they not dead from skin cancer?

africans live at maximum sun exposure and have for thousands of year.

why are they not dead from skin cancer.

on national geographic i read that we must remember there are no houses in africa to hide in only sparse bushes and sand.

i saw on discovery channel that africans don't even wear clothes and are virtually naked in the sun all day.

so why are afrcians not all dead from skin cancer?

any answers?

Who said anything about a skin color causing cancer? Did you even read my post? I said pigmentation certainly has a play in it (prevention), but that's what dermatologists say. I think you need to reread my post lol.
edit on 31-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join