It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama speaking at house of commons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Obama speaking at house of commons

www.google.co.uk

President Obama hails strong UK-US alliance
President Obama opened his speech with a joke Continue reading the main story
Obama in EuropeObama hails 'special' ties to UK
A new bond for PM and president?
In pictures: Obama state visit to the UK
Obama affirms US-Irish relations
President Obama has told MPs and peers in Parliament that the UK and US have "one of the oldest and strongest alliances the world has ever known".

Mr Obama got a standing ovation as he became the first US President to address both Houses of Parliament in Westminster Hall.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 25-5-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
whats your views ATS?
i dont understand political BS so im just posting for the people who do
its always the same # "Al-qieda (spelling) killing men, women, children)
so were not? ive seen footage of us in afghan doing things that are just as bad to people
killing them and smiling!!!
we are all the same animal

anyway the links their for anyone interested

www.google.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

i think this needs moving to politicians and people
sorry mods!
edit on 25-5-2011 by GezinhoKiko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Good on him.

First American President ever to do it.

The last 3 people to speak in Westminster Hall were

The Pope

The Queen

Nelson Mandela

So yeah, good for him.

I can't imagine George Dubya in there.... :shk:

Even if he is just a politician, just a puppet.... at least he's likeable...

He's charismatic and believable and the guy can string a sentence together.... that's most welcomed after the last moron.

He has a warmth about him and you can see that people are genuinely pleased to talk to him and that they get a real sense of warmth from him.... he is liked.

Bush was merely tolerated and people often cringed..... that's the difference.

Nothing will change after his visit, there is no point or reason for it... it's all just buddy up and make people feel better.... Mentioning the Magna Carta and how GB was a bastion of freedom and how we shaped the world and democracy.... obviously it's all just for show.

But hey, it's nice at least.

I like Obama, good for him man.... people can see he is a decent guy and that's why he is getting the welcome and the treatment he is during his visit to The UK & Europe.

He's charming and funny and up for a laugh.... not stuffy or stuck-up or too important to have fun.

edit on 25/5/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

President Obama has told MPs and peers in Parliament that the UK and US have "one of the oldest and strongest alliances the world has ever known".

Obviously history is not one of Obama's strong points..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

yea man good point
fair play to the fella
just unfortunate his guile and personality are looked over due to the birth certificate and osama ordeal.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

sorry to appear ignorant mate
what do you meen exactly?
going back to WW1 havnt we been allies?
obviously going back much more we must of had differences but nothing major is there?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
just unfortunate his guile and personality are looked over due to the birth certificate and osama ordeal.

Yeah I know....people like to focus on nonsense and bicker over pointless things, rather than focus on the real issues.... especially, it seems, in America.

Sad really.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Good on him.

First American President ever to do it.

The last 3 people to speak in Westminster Hall were

The Pope

The Queen

Nelson Mandela

So yeah, good for him.

I can't imagine George Dubya in there.... :shk:

Even if he is just a politician, just a puppet.... at least he's likeable...

He's charismatic and believable and the guy can string a sentence together.... that's most welcomed after the last moron.

Nothing will change after his visit, there is no point or reason for it... it's all just buddy up and make people feel better.... Mentioning the Magna Carta and how GB was a bastion of freedom and how we shaped the world and democracy.... obviously it's all just for show.

But hey, it's nice at least.

I like Obama, good for him man.... people can see he is a decent guy and that's why he is getting the welcome and the treatment he is during his visit to The UK & Europe.

He's charming and funny and up for a laugh.... not stuffy or stuck-up or too important to have fun.

edit on 25/5/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

You must be one of the sheeple because u don't have a clue what's going on here. One thing I want to make clear to u is that Obama is a New World Order puppet (u said puppet too) just like the presidents before him. U think he runs America....lol America is owned and run by the British Monarchy. Obama is just a mouthpiece.....

The Queen was probably giving him the thumbs up for the 'Job well done' on the Osama Bin Laden killing HOAX!!
He was just doing as he was and always is ordered to do.

Likeable guy eh? Very likeable when u don't know he's conducting Genocidal murder across the Middle East. Oh yeah he has fun alright. Him and Cameron deciding the fate of the people's of who's country they are going to invade to grab their black gold!! Now who shall we bomb first? Oh yeah Libya is on just now. NATO are busy bombing the hell out of the Libyan people. Next it will be Pakistan.

I don't understand how some people can actually like War Mongers and Murderers!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Not that we don't have a half decent alliance with the people of the USA...but the oldest diplomatic alliance in the world is the one we have with Portugal dating from 1386...

ETA: The alliance is still in force to this day and has served us well throughout the centuries.. and if my memory servers me correctly even in modern times the Portuguese offered the use of the Azores during the Falklands war..
edit on 25/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
You must be one of the sheeple because u don't have a clue what's going on here. One thing I want to make clear to u is that Obama is a New World Order puppet (u said puppet too) just like the presidents before him. U think he runs America....lol Obama is just a mouthpiece.....

Baaaa Baaaa

Yep, that's me.

I know Obama has no real power, I've said it in recent conversations to people.... I'm not stupid.
He's the public face of America.... but to be honest, America looks a lot nicer these days

America is owned and run by the British Monarchy.

Uh huh....

Likeable guy eh? Very likeable when u don't know he's conducting Genocidal murder across the Middle East.

Where's the genocide talking place?

And HE is committing murder? I thought a minute ago he was the mouthpiece? He doesn't have any real say... and yet he's blamed for committing genocide?

Can't have it both ways.

Oh yeah he has fun alright. Him and Cameron deciding the fate of the people's of who's country they are going to invade to grab their black gold!! Now who shall we bomb first? Oh yeah Libya is on just now. NATO are busy bombing the hell out of the Libyan people. Next it will be Pakistan.

I don't understand how some people can actually like War Mongers and Murderers!!

Well We're out of Iraq (UK) we're pulling out of Afghanistan soon..... where else are we?

Obviously there is something massive going on..... Sides are being taken.... Russia, China... Iran..... I made a thread about this very recently.

I really do have a clue about what's going on.... my point in this thread, is that It's nice that America has a President who can talk properly.... who is Charming and Witty...

It makes a change.

As this thread has nothing to do with the middle east or Oil or anything like that, I thought I'd just stick to the Topic you know?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The French will not appreciate Charles de Gaulle being ignored by Obama - the first foreign head of state, I believe, to address both Houses of Parliament.

His advisors should have constructed a speech without applaud breaks - it is not tradition for MP's and Lord's to applaud during a speech or statement.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I know he's just a puppet like most politicians but I have to agree with you, it's good to see a US President who has some charm and charisma compared to the last few!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I saw the speech this morning. I thought it was interesting that he focused on GLOBAL markets and how easily they can collapse. I thought this speech was odd in that not only did he send Churchills bust back to the UK, but he was also persona non grata at the royal wedding. Not only that but the IK media HATES this guy as they believe, and rightly so, that he is not pro UK. Given all of these points, why did the House of Commons allow him to give a speech (teleprompters and all)?

It smells a lot like market crash in the air...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko

sorry to appear ignorant mate
what do you meen exactly?
going back to WW1 havnt we been allies?
obviously going back much more we must of had differences but nothing major is there?

Well history goes way beyond the 20th century..
There are a lot of older countries than the US with alliances..
I just think he comes of sounding ignorant and arrogant..
It's always about the US....

"one of the oldest and strongest alliances the world has ever known".

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

yes true but its always about the US because they have the power
so we the UK are more than happy to get into bed with the US
its great pulling power to have them alongside
dosnt matter who the president is
its all about gaining an advantage
stupid i know and petty but what can we do about it!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
His advisors should have constructed a speech without applaud breaks - it is not tradition for MP's and Lord's to applaud during a speech or statement.

I know, I thought that was good too.... they didn't stand and applaud every 2nd word, I didn't think they would but was still nice that they didn't.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Obviously history is not one of Obama's strong points..

Indeed! Seems he has forgotten about that minor rebellion 300 odd years ago...

That said, the oldest alliance in the World is actually between Protugal and the UK (previously England). Been going since about 1373. The Portugese are our best buds in the whole world, but we don't go crooning about our "special relationship" with them...

top topics

join