It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Student Uncovers the Universe’s Missing Mass

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Well Xploder, thanks for reaffirming that scientific-minded and thoroughly investigative thread starters do still exist around here.

Very exciting news, made easily digestible with solid research and the appropriate use of sources. Thanks-a-million, looks like I have something to read and research about for the next week or two.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I think maybe there are some answers in these comments below:
www.physorg.com...
edit on 25-5-2011 by griswold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
A very interesting thread. I have never been entirely convinced about dark matter and dark energy, so any alternative explanation for the "missing mass" of the universe is very welcome.
edit on 25-5-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
Some of those pictures seriously look like a neurological system. Synapses, neurons, dendrites, etc. Kinda threw a thought into my head that maybe the universe is just the interior of someone's brain and we are all just thoughts and electrical impulses inside it.

Was thinking same and have done for some time. We are inside a massive mind... yet we are pollen at the very tip of a dendrite flower of life. A confirmation of our insignificance. Its kinda like the scientists are finally catching up with the mystics.
13... ? Interesting.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LexiconV

That would be cool, but what if those pictures represents exactly that? That is, maybe author of those pictures just took them from neurology source,to make it look more fascinating, if u know what i mean...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Energy = mass and Mass = energy and where you find large clumps of energy you find large chunks of mass or large walls of mass,
Ding! Sorry, I mean, very well said sir. Excellent thread also, well laid out with some stimulating pictures, particularly this one:

That my friends, is the brain of the Universe.

edit on 25-5-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
If this gains acceptance, it's just one small step for mainstream scientist away from their failed Relativity-based models and a step towards admitting that black holes, dark matter, dark energy and space-time don't exist and were just mathematical fabrications to support otherwise failed theories.
And recently a poster in your thread on the Quasar time dilation discovery, accused the EU of being irrelevent because we have more technology now then when most of those theories were being made. Funny thing is, the more observations we make with our advanced technology, the more surprises scienctist seem to have. If they would just embrace the EU, they wouldn't have to come up with bizare unfalsifiable explanations for the contradictions they discover.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PplVSNWO

... technology without an electrical supply is a dead demi G-d, man without electricity within is a dead Interpreter/Messenger, a Universe without electricity.... nil Vibration.... total vacuum everything sux in rapid rubber-band type return.
hhmmm... the end.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

well that one just stole my thunder i was about to note the similarity to neural networks the human mind exploring the mind of the universe nice to see that some students are prepared to go the distance well done !

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Some of those pictures seriously look like a neurological system. Synapses, neurons, dendrites, etc. Kinda threw a thought into my head that maybe the universe is just the interior of someone's brain and we are all just thoughts and electrical impulses inside it.

I have made the same observations since I have seen a picture comparing a mouses brain cell with the universe . Let me try and find it ..

Edit : found it

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56beaf878162.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 25/5/11 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
This is a great thread.

From my understanding, if what is stated here is correct it would bolster the Electric Universe model. The "filaments" represent Birkeland Strands, and are the source of all matter. Matter wasn't created in a big bang, but rather from "pinches" in the supermassive energy currents that traverse the universe.

Like the vents on the ocean floor, you will have broad expanses left without life. But once you get to the vents, with the nutrients rich water full of energy, you have various forms of life spring up.

As above, so below.

Indeed! Star for You BFFT!
Personally I'm a big fan of the Electrical Universe. So much more elegant than the currently accepted models IMHO. Admittedly though, I'm not a scientist.. but I do have a great BS detector

IRM

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Reminded me of a plasma ball..

Who's hands are attracting the current?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Xploder thank you for bringing this article and new to light. I can't thank you enough

I have argued that dark matter and dark energy do not exist for a long time and perhaps they do exist perhaps they don't we just don't know but this may help one side of the argument.

There was an article a week or so ago saying they confirmed Dark Energy and i passed it off as completely hogwash because to say we have "Confirmed" Dark Energy so early on when there is so much more to learn about the Universe was ignorant at best.

New Method Confirms "Dark Energy"

I will take this new information and study it well that you have provided us with. This is very interesting and would like you to take a look at my post on the dark energy thread from a week ago.

I simply could not accept it as confirmed because yes. Even as this study shows we are still very early on in learning all the mysteries of the Universe.

There is also something i must ask you say this has relation to the super structure walls in the universe; in the article it states the missing mass in the filaments!

The article is extremely vague and the explanation is poor.

It was thought from a theoretical viewpoint that there should be about double the amount of matter in the local Universe compared to what was observed. It was predicted that the majority of this missing mass should be located in large-scale cosmic structures called filaments – a bit like thick shoelaces.”

Up until this point in time, theories were based solely on numerical models, so Fraser-McKelvie’s observations represent a true break-through in determining just how much of this mass is caught in filamentary structure. “Most of the baryons in the Universe are thought to be contained within filaments of galaxies, but as yet, no single study has published the observed properties of a large sample of known filaments to determine typical physical characteristics such as temperature and electron density

Oh and Dark Energy hasn't been confirmed they've been spouting this nonsense for a decade now and usually it becomes dismissed next time someone finds out that their models are not taking into account all the matter we truly don't know about the in the Universe.

We still have many mysteries to find out about the Universe.

All this study does is prove "dark energy" is pervasive. It doesn't prove it's uniform throughout the universe. I suspect that more study will show that it's not a "cosmological constant", but a function of volume and density. The "emptier" space is, the faster it expands. Galaxies and clusters shrink while voids balloon. That would explain the structure of the universe without having to invoke "dark matter" or "inflation", or any of that nonsense.

edit on 25-5-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I wonder what this will all mean for "dark matter/energy". Its hard for me to fully grasp what this all means but I will say this, I never really "bought" the idea of dark matter, whenever its explained to me it sounds totally made up. Calling it the Easter Bunny would be just about as accurate in my mind. "We've made these observations and we don't know whats really going on so we are going to guess and call our guess Dark Matter!"

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Thill

LOVE seeing like minded people on here! Great post and great conversation! If we thought outside the box more we may just realize we are indeed a mere thought manifested inside of a singular, mass of energy, who knows but it is exciting to talk about and think of!!!!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
OMG, they discovered . . . Birkeland Currents. Great job! 100 years too late. But at least they are finally getting on track. www.thunderbolts.info

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thruthseek3r
S & F, I would say Epic find and a great leap forward to humanity. This discovery means a lot may help us in understanding better the way our universe is working and doing.

Yea, and I was just thinking, you know with all this information, about how cool it would be to visit the moon of one of those planets surrounding a star in one of those far away galaxies on the edge of this particular universe. Do you think we could get there through a worm hole in a few hours instead of a few billion years?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wow that's a lot of astronomy jargon to take in. Just so I'm clear, did he discover dark matter? Or another form of matter that is similar to dark matter and explains the missing mass in the universe?

And dark energy is the energy that keeps galaxies together and keeps them from flying apart since they're rotating, right? So did he discover dark energy as well?

This is some confusing stuff.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill

I have made the same observations since I have seen a picture comparing a mouses brain cell with the universe . Let me try and find it ..

Edit : found it

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/56beaf878162.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 25/5/11 by Thill because: (no reason given)

And the more you use the brain the more the synapses expand to increase the flow of information. Likewise we have an expanding universe here. So all the pictures are outdated. The question is can travel be accomplished through another mechanism than the way light travels?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It still blows my mind every time I try to think about "superclusters of galaxies", and it thrills me to no end to contemplate other "domains" or "realms" in store which "no eye has seen nor the mind concieved". Some day maybe, since all is one and all information apparently stored in a non-localized holographic matrix (Akashic Field). I guesss the personal M.O. of the creator is "Go big or go home!".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join