It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Student Uncovers the Universe’s Missing Mass

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+123 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
well it might be true that energy = mass and mass equals energy and the missing mass in the universe may be in the form of filamentery energy collecting matter into "walls"

Not since the work of Fritz Zwicky has the astronomy world been so excited about the missing mass of the Universe. His evidence came from the orbital velocities of galaxies in clusters, rotational speeds, and gravitational lensing of background objects. Now there’s even more evidence that Zwicky was right as Australian student – Amelia Fraser-McKelvie – made another breakthrough in the world of astrophysics

link to source

so what is a filiment?

filiments are the mass of the universe clumping together creating a pathway for energy to transverse.

Working with a team at the Monash School of Physics, the 22-year-old undergraduate Aerospace Engineering/Science student conducted a targeted X-ray search for the hidden matter and within just three months made a very exciting discovery. Astrophysicists predicted the mass would be low in density, but high in temperature – approximately one million degrees Celsius. According to theory, the matter should have been observable at X-ray wavelengths and Amelia Fraser-McKelvie’s discovery has proved the prediction to be correct.

Dr Kevin Pimbblet from the School of Astrophysics explains: “It was thought from a theoretical viewpoint that there should be about double the amount of matter in the local Universe compared to what was observed. It was predicted that the majority of this missing mass should be located in large-scale cosmic structures called filaments – a bit like thick shoelaces.”

same source as above

it seems as thought the matter was there all along, it was just low in density and very high in temperature.

wiki source

so the great structures or "walls" like the great sloan wall and others could account for the missing mass,

these in scale are the filaments and voids. The largest of these filaments is known as the Sloan Great Wall. This giant string of galaxies is 1.4 billion light years across making it the largest known structure in the universe. Yet surprisingly, the Great Wall has never been studied in detail. Superclusters within it have been examined, but the wall as a whole has only come into consideration in a new paper from a team led by astronomers at Tartu Observatory in Estonia.

link to source

there are other recent filment walls found and also great "voids" were matter and energy seem to be missing

In 2004 astronomers found an enormous hole in the southern hemisphere of the Universe, nearly a billion light-years across, empty of both normal matter such as stars, galaxies, and gas, and the mysterious, unseen "dark matter." This was a startling finding, since accepted models of the early universe say that the big bang created an initially uniform cosmic landscape, when viewed on large scales. While earlier studies have shown holes, or voids, in the large-scale structure of the Universe, this discovery dwarfed them all. This "nothing" is an enormous hole in the cosmos that defies standard cosmology and might just be the imprint of another universe bumping against our own while some astronomers suggested the spot could be a supervoid, a remnant of an early phase transition in the universe.

linky to source

Up until this point in time, theories were based solely on numerical models, so Fraser-McKelvie’s observations represent a true break-through in determining just how much of this mass is caught in filamentary structure. “Most of the baryons in the Universe are thought to be contained within filaments of galaxies, but as yet, no single study has published the observed properties of a large sample of known filaments to determine typical physical characteristics such as temperature and electron density

link to source

so it sounds like when you take into account the amount of material in these filiments and the temperature and distrabution or density the picture of where the missing matter sudenly makes sence,

the missing mass is acually there in great structures called "walls" and these can be seen in xray images and when the amount of matter is calculated using the xray data not much mass is missing.

A team of the British, American, and Hungarian astronomers have reported even larger structures. As per their findings, the universe is crossed by at least 13 'Great Walls', apparent rivers of galaxies 100Mpc long in the surveyed domain of 7 billion light years. They found galaxies clustered into bands spaced about 600 millon light years apart. The pattern of these clusters stretches across about one-fourth of the diameter of the universe, or about seven billion light years. This huge shell and void pattern would have required nearly 150 billion years to form, based on their speed of movement, if produced by the standard Big Bang cosmology.

link to source

the great sloan wall

link to source

A team of the British, American, and Hungarian astronomers have reported even larger structures. As per their findings, the universe is crossed by at least 13 'Great Walls', apparent rivers of galaxies 100Mpc long in the surveyed domain of 7 billion light years. They found galaxies clustered into bands spaced about 600 millon light years apart. The pattern of these clusters stretches across about one-fourth of the diameter of the universe, or about seven billion light years. This huge shell and void pattern would have required nearly 150 billion years to form, based on their speed of movement, if produced by the standard Big Bang cosmology.

so it should have taken upto 80 billion years for these structures to form and some of the missing mass is in the form of electron density and some mass is in the form of matter.
when i think about how much electron density it would take and how much matter we can see in these walls
it makes me think
Energy = mass and Mass = energy and where you find large clumps of energy you find large chunks of mass or large walls of mass,
mabey the electron density is what is creating the ideal conditions to attract mass.
if the electron flow is high enought could the flow of electron density attract matter and cause the galaxies to form the super cluster filiments we see today?
could electrical charge attract mass?
could the opposite electrical charge repell mass?
does this electron density create mass?

Discovery of the Great Walls of galaxies and filamentary clumping of galactic mater has greatly upset the traditional notion that galactic matter should be uniformly distributed. If the universe began with a Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago, the awesome size of these large-scale structures is baffling because there is apparently not sufficient time available for such massive objects to form and to become organized.

Based on the cosmological principle, which is one of the cornerstones of the Big Bang model, cosmologists predicted the distribution of matter to be homogeneous throughout the universe, implying thereby that the distribution of the galaxies would be essentially uniform. There would be no large scale clusters of galaxies or great voids in space. Instead, contrary to the "Big Bang" universe, we exist in a very "lumpy" cosmos."

same source

so when we look closer to these "clusters" or "super clusters" that group together to form these walls we very quickly come to how can these form in the time allowed under current theories like the big bang
after all the unverse is only 14 billion years old according to th BBT

some of these structures are thought to have taken up to 100 billion years to form

so do we need to adjust the big bang or replace it?
or do galaxies form a thousand times faster than we think?

because there is a clear contradiction between how long it should take to form the galaxys and for them to form into clusters then super clusters and then into the great walls.

so if the Dark Matter problem is now solved by electron density could the same mecanism be responcable for Dark energy
dark energy is the force that "appairs" to drive the galaxy appart but looking at these walls, they do not seem to suffer from flying appart instead they seem to be clumping together

makes alot of the dark energy problem look like electron density attraction and repulsion could account for the attraction into clusters and the ejection of others from the cluster arrangements,

this was the accepted ratio of matter in the universe

so i wounder what the results of this will be will we find that electron density and matter will account for all or just some of the missing matter in the universe?

First results from a major astronomical survey using a cutting-edge technique appear to have confirmed the existence of mysterious dark energy.

Dark energy makes up some 74% of the Universe and its existence would explain why the Universe appears to be expanding at an accelerating rate.

The finding was based on studies of more than 200,000 galaxies.

Scientists used two separate kinds of observation to provide an independent check on previous dark energy results.

The second type of observation involves measuring how quickly clusters of galaxies have formed over time. Both of these techniques confirmed the existence of dark energy and the acceleration in the expansion of the Universe.

The concept of dark energy was first invoked in the late 1990s by studying the brightness of distant supernovas - exploding stars.

link to bbc

so we now know that some of the missing mass has been accounted for with electron density but electrons can create attraction and repulsion, does that mean with the "found" matter and energy that we can now use this newly found matter to explain the unusual movement that is described as being generated by dark energy?

The professor of astrophysics at Portsmouth University, UK, added: "It's re-confirmation of dark energy, it gives us another data point to fit our theories around and it shows us the way to the future. More astronomers are going to be doing this in years to come."

While dark energy makes up about 74% of the Universe, dark matter - which does not reflect or emit detectable light - accounts for 22%. Ordinary matter - gas, stars, planets and galaxies - makes up just 4% of the cosmos.

However, despite scientists being able to infer the existence of dark energy and dark matter, these phenomena still elude a full explanation.

same link

approximately one million degrees Celsius.

so what does 1 million degrees celsius do to electron density,
and what is the ratio of electrical charge if the matter and electrons are super hot but very thinly spread?

i recently read that there is a prefered orintation to some galaxys in cluster formations and they seem to be in a round shape with there discs in a vertical position and it could be that as the filimentary energy transvserse the luster the energy aligns the individual galaixes.
there could be enough electron density to set up a rotation of these groups of galaxies around the path of the flow of energy through the filiment, and there is a chance that the energy is the cause of the grouping of the clusters and super clusters.

this energy flow may account for the voids by giving a "path" for the energy to flow through attracting more mass to the energy flow like a ping pong ball on a string under running water.
as the energy flows it creates a "current" of movement that "draws" matter into these filiments that then allows more matter to "clump together" into the filiments

in electricity terms this is called "a path of least resistence" and as the energy flows in a direction where there is more points in the path to "connect the flow" more matter is drawn to the flow reinforcing the flow increasing the amount of matter, and this reduces the resistence to flow and allows these great walls to form.

in the big bang cosmology the universe should be "homoginous", which means the great walls and voids should not be there but they are

and the matter should be flying appart from each other as in the expansion of the universe predicts

instead we find over billions of years the matter is clumping together into filiments which counters both the expansion and the big bang theories

so how can the matter of the universe be speeding away from all the other matter yet form these walls?

this is really a great finding for a 22 year old who is studying to be an astonomer

xploder

edit on 24-5-2011 by XPLodER because: spelling

edit on 24-5-2011 by XPLodER because: add more pics

edit on 24-5-2011 by XPLodER because: add more

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Awesome find and thread! S&F

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A month or two ago, I was talking to my physics professor and he mentioned how the whole 'dark energy' theory is probably wrong. This is an interesting theory that could account for the missing mass. the dark energy theory was proposed to account for the missing mass.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
S & F, I would say Epic find and a great leap forward to humanity. This discovery means a lot may help us in understanding better the way our universe is working and doing.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Great post!

Its posts like this that keep me coming back for more! Keep up the good work.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I would say that should be good enough for a Phd.

edit on 5/24/11 by HenryPatrick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Great post, but this isn't something that is completely new. Theory has stated in the past that massive objects "hollow" out space time and those tunnels can create mass.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
A month or two ago, I was talking to my physics professor and he mentioned how the whole 'dark energy' theory is probably wrong. This is an interesting theory that could account for the missing mass. the dark energy theory was proposed to account for the missing mass.
You're confusing dark matter and dark energy. Dark matter was proposed for the missing mass, dark energy is what drives the accelerating expansion of the universe, which is completely different.

And the theory can't be wrong because there really is no theory, for either one. Only observations we can't explain and speculative ideas people tried to confirm but haven't yet.

reply to post by XPLodER

I guess we will have to see if this idea gains acceptance, but I'm not sure why astronomers never found this before since it sounds so simple, the article even says they expected to find it, so I find it hard to believe this aerospace student is the first to look. Something doesn't add up with this story. Also it referenced twice as much matter. We really need to find about 4 or 5 times as much matter to explain all the dark matter observations, so twice as much won't do it. Therefore even if this is correct, it doesn't solve the dark matter problem, though maybe it could solve a fraction of it if other astronomers confirm it.

+24 more 
posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Some of those pictures seriously look like a neurological system. Synapses, neurons, dendrites, etc. Kinda threw a thought into my head that maybe the universe is just the interior of someone's brain and we are all just thoughts and electrical impulses inside it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Interesting read! S&F!

If I'm not mistaken though, the age of the Sloan Wall was debunked.

IRM

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ceriddwen
Some of those pictures seriously look like a neurological system. Synapses, neurons, dendrites, etc. Kinda threw a thought into my head that maybe the universe is just the interior of someone's brain and we are all just thoughts and electrical impulses inside it.

I had the same thought. Does form follow function or the other way around? If we do end up finding out we thoughts alive in some sort of brain, I'm guessing we must be sub-conscious.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I guess we will have to see if this idea gains acceptance, but I'm not sure why astronomers never found this before since it sounds so simple, the article even says they expected to find it, so I find it hard to believe this aerospace student is the first to look. Something doesn't add up with this story. Also it referenced twice as much matter. We really need to find about 4 or 5 times as much matter to explain all the dark matter observations, so twice as much won't do it. Therefore even if this is correct, it doesn't solve the dark matter problem, though maybe it could solve a fraction of it if other astronomers confirm it.

even if a small fraction of the dark matter is finally accepted this would be a great start in answering one of the great dark questions of our time,
what is dark matter and why is it dark?

if the amount of mass density of the filiments is greater than anticipated it could also account for the apparent movement of galaxies and clusters.
as i sure your aware electrons can have an attractive and repulsive effect on this
could this effect dark energy ewquations?

xploder

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by XPLodER

Interesting read! S&F!

If I'm not mistaken though, the age of the Sloan Wall was debunked.

IRM

the age of the sloan wall has not been accepted as fact and is still expected to have formed in the 14 billion years prescribbed by the big bang
but when they found another wall of about 100mpc it kinda makes me go how can the evolution of galaxy formation account for the time it takes for something 10 billion light years accross

like the new wall findings show?

the big bang cannot account for this wall IMHO

xploder

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This is a great thread.

From my understanding, if what is stated here is correct it would bolster the Electric Universe model. The "filaments" represent Birkeland Strands, and are the source of all matter. Matter wasn't created in a big bang, but rather from "pinches" in the supermassive energy currents that traverse the universe.

Like the vents on the ocean floor, you will have broad expanses left without life. But once you get to the vents, with the nutrients rich water full of energy, you have various forms of life spring up.

As above, so below.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
even if a small fraction of the dark matter is finally accepted this would be a great start in answering one of the great dark questions of our time,
I agree, but you know what's so odd about that article?

They never mention the term "dark matter". Not once.

I don't know if you find that odd, but I sure do.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
This is a great thread.

From my understanding, if what is stated here is correct it would bolster the Electric Universe model. The "filaments" represent Birkeland Strands, and are the source of all matter. Matter wasn't created in a big bang, but rather from "pinches" in the supermassive energy currents that traverse the universe.

Like the vents on the ocean floor, you will have broad expanses left without life. But once you get to the vents, with the nutrients rich water full of energy, you have various forms of life spring up.

As above, so below.

i dont have any of the acual figaurs of electron density and the matter acosiated with the amount of electron density vs the matter that would represent,
but usually at 1 million degrees celcius most matter would be in an arc plasma state the third higest state of plasma, this "could mean that trillions of electron volts are present in the filiment structure and a "flow" of plasma arc would or could attract matter into clumps. the plasma density arc discharge would theoretically form increadably large bircland currents that would "wind" together forming reigions of space in the filiments with massive amounts of energy.
the induced currecnts from the birkland currents could magnetically arrange the mass into clusters and cluster pairs that "rotate" around the birkland ark discharge path.

i do not have any real answers at this stage and this is speculation on my part

i will be trying to gather more details to add to the thread as they become avaliable
it is possable that the electron density is so week that only very week magnetic feilds are formed but there can be many many feilds that interact

still to early as this is all suposition at this stage

xploder

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by XPLodER
I agree, but you know what's so odd about that article?

They never mention the term "dark matter". Not once.

I don't know if you find that odd, but I sure do.

very odd considering the fact that the two may have a very common source

good spotting matey

i wounder if the connection between the two dark matter and dark energy have been left out so that the findings can be reveiwed without to much contraversy

xploder

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
A really good thread and some really smart people discussing it.

I only just grasp a nth of what it is about.

I do know this though.

A whole bunch of people with advanced degrees are not to happy that a 22 year old lass figured out how to do it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

So is this similar to the so-called "quantum foam"? I thought the universe would eventually be found to be foamy or frothy in structure:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7db5fafe0953.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 5/24/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

This will sound very crazy, but bare with me for a minute...

Once we humans get past all our Beliefs that Limit us and what we can experience of the bigger picture reality.. you can "journey" in what I call the Awareness Stream..it is unlimited in a sense.

During one such journey about 12 or so years ago I observed our Universe as a Bubble.. one among gazillions of other bubbleverses. About 8 years ago I journeyed beyond that level of awareness and when observing I noted something that looked like Sea Foam.. the kind wind whips up onto the beach. It was my understanding that the bubbleverses existed within that foam-like mega-structure.

"Crazy guy" says... now back to the advertised topic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join